The Most Embarassing Thing I've Ever Done to Get Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Most Embarassing Thing I've Ever Done to Get Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2000, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
kidpachinko, let me get this straight. You gave up a mileage run, paid by your employer, to plan a WEDDING? Ungh! Are you still PW'd? LOL
Old Jul 19, 2000, 10:14 am

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
Well.. I think it is common for you folks that flying often to do a mileage run for elite since you "enjoying" it many times during that elite year...

How about a crazy college student, planning to spend his summer job earning to fly for no reason for elite and actually with no planned travel for that "elite" year to come?

Crazy enough? :O
Old Jul 19, 2000, 5:48 pm

Programs: OnePass,SPG
In May, my wife and I were scheduled to Milan out of LAX-EWR on CO. I had business meetings in NY on 5/12 and returned home to LAX that evening to catch a 7AM flight the next day LAX back to EWR. Although it would have been MUCH easier for my wife to meet me in Newark, I told my her I didn't want her flying by herself 5+ hours. Not only did I score additional OnePass miles, but I got those coveted "bonus" points from the wife too! Cashed those in right away!!
Old Jul 19, 2000, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Entering the confessional here:

In April my wife and I flew Hartford to LAX for a long weekend. We flew back into Hartford on a Monday afternoon. She drove home and I immediately started a 2nd RT to LAS. I arrived in Las Vegas at 1030PM. I hung around the terminal (lost $40 at video poker) until about 1230AM and caught the red-eye back to the east coast.

I was flying USAir during their double Preferred miles promotion. I earned about 22,000 status miles for a cost of about $400 for the 2 round trips. Additionally, I was signed up for USAir's Silver>Gold promotion and acheived Gold status during the weekend.
Old Jul 20, 2000, 9:17 pm

new to this forum, but not to being a mileage junkie!! I too am eating a lot of Kelloggs, have a new cell phone, new long distance carrier, and ate healthy choice every day for lunch for 4 months. never want to see another one frozen dinner again, but i'll certainly enjoy my next trip to australia...
Old Jul 21, 2000, 2:12 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
HK-UMICH:

I can name one other UMich student who's planning exactly that!!!

Small world-- I'm in Urban Planning/Architecture at Univ. of Michigan, too.

Go Blue!
Old Jul 22, 2000, 12:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Hello fellow FF junkies! It's great to know there are others out there that will do anything to get FF 'elite' status!

Last December, I found myself 1 segment short of obtaining Continental Elite status. I had planned out my trips so I would get the required 30, but on my last 'flyable' business trip I missed a return flight and horror of horrors, and had to take a direct flight back home instead of my original one with connections!

I would not come this close without making Elite! (My wife thought I was absolutely crazy in my pursuit of elite status.) Anyway, what wound up happening is that I had scheduled to visit a client two days after Christmas in Baltimore (I live in New Jersey). I have family in Baltimore, we normally drive down and visit them for Christmas. The plan was to drive to Baltimore, stay with family, then visit my client then we would drive home. Here comes the embarrasing part: I called the client and rescheduled my visit to the Wednesday after Christmas (told them I had an 'emergency'). I then booked a same day flight EWR-BWI round-trip. THEN I told my wife of the change in plans. She thought I had really lost it, but what could she do?(heh, the ticket was non-refundable!)

Anyway, I got my segments, and my Elite status. My wife still thinks I'm nuts, but she still loves me! Plus, this year she's seen the benefits of my Elite membership, so she understands me better now.

[This message has been edited by AKelley728 (edited 07-22-2000).]
Old Jul 22, 2000, 12:30 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
My wife still thinks I'm nuts, but she still loves me! so does 'my' Gisela (but I am pretty sure she loves me still because I am crazy and not just normal average ...).
Old Jul 22, 2000, 8:11 pm
biff

I opened TEN email accounts at NetAddress so that I could get Greenpoints new account bonus 10 times for 10 mileage certificates.

Even more shameful, I emailed a complaint when the certificates didn't arrive!

Which airline flies to Hades...I'd better join their frequent flier club.

Old Jul 23, 2000, 8:50 pm

Efram- I also did the Buick promo and like yourself got the miles w/o the test drive but my husband and myself each recieved 10K miles- the salesman just filled out our forms in a matter of minutes and our miles appeared soon after!

Old Jul 24, 2000, 10:54 am

<quote>
Day 1: MSP-CMH-DTW-PIT PIT-DTW-MKE-MSP
Next day: MSP-IND-DTW-PIT PIT-DTW-MKE-MSP
Next Day: MSP-ORD-DTW-PIT PIT-DTW=MKE-MSP
Next day: MSP-CMH-DTW-PIT PIT-DTW-SFO
Red eye early the next day: SFO-DCA
I got off at the intermediate stop in MSP
</quote>

Is that cheaper to go this way than a long coast-coast orint'l flight? Any good ideas for something like this via AA from DTW?
Or... do you think agent can help me ?

V. Joven:
Cool... I am in 3+ and will go back to A2 on 31Aug. Gald to know another TCAUP folk in FT!

Old Jul 24, 2000, 11:37 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
HK-UMICH, I did the trip like that for a few reasons:

The $59 one way MSP-PIT youth fare required no advance purchase. I bought tickets like 16 hours before the first flight. 3 RTs cost $360, plus the PIT-SFO-DCA was on a Memorial Day promo for like $150 RT.

Another benefit: I didn't have to pay for any lodging, and I made it home for dinner every night.

Re. AA mileage run, my friend is thinking of doing CO/NW, but I might be able to think of something for AA-- I'd say DTW-Florida for $118 RT in Sept. if US Air counts toward AA Elite.

I'll be in AA around Sept. 4-- after returning from Central America on a LatinPass award ticket.

E-mail me sometime.

Go Blue!
Old Jul 27, 2000, 9:16 am

<quote>
Re. AA mileage run, my friend is thinking of doing CO/NW, but I might be able to think of something for AA-- I'd say DTW-Florida for $118 RT in Sept. if US Air counts toward AA Elite.
</quote>

I checked aa.com and it mentioned that only us airways "shuttle" of specific route can earn AA miles. Anyone can comment on that?

Thanks

Housekeeping question:
Should I start a new post for this?

Old Jul 27, 2000, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
HK-UMICH,
If you go back to HK via NWA/KLM (amsterdam stopover) check to see if flying through Memphis still gives you triple Miles. When I used to live in A^2 i would fly to memphis from dtw and then catch the connecting flight to AMS even though there was a direct connection.

P.s. I was also A North Campus student, Civ Eng undergrad, Construction Management Grad. This year I will be returning to AA three times for football games courtesy of NWA frequent Flyer program.

p.p.s If you have tickets for any of the games you need to sell or know of anyone Email me

Go Blue

------------------
AA Platinum
United Premier Exec, RCC Member
Marriott Silver

[This message has been edited by DenverPlat (edited 07-27-2000).]
Old Jul 27, 2000, 6:35 pm

What is the Buick promo?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.