SJCFW:MIA:ORD:BRU. Yes, I upgraded to B
using miles.

I was ticketed to return immediately on
the same plane via the reverse routing.

-doug
Old Jul 7, 2000, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Of all these great stories, the most EMBARASSING (not to mention dangerous!)thing done for miles HAS to be eating in Mileage Plus Dining restaurants. I've lived in Chicago for 25 years, eat out often and have never heard of these places.
Old Jul 7, 2000, 6:31 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
I need your posts to show my wife that I am not as extreme as you folks!

I used to eat at a cheap Mexican eatery when AA had a promotion for bonus dining miles before they implemented a minimum $ charge.
Also used a coupon at the same time and received thousands of bonus miles for $3 lunches.
I've rented a local airport AVIS during the weekend for $15/day to qualify for bonus miles, returned it within an hour, with an excuse that I changed my mind about my trip.
I've made my wife exchange an item she purchased on the 'wrong' credit card.
I've test driven a Buick for miles.
I'm currently eating a lot of Corn Flakes.
Old Jul 7, 2000, 9:47 pm

To ILuvParis,

There are a couple of Mileage Plus Dining places in Chicago worth trying: Salpicon (very good), Sushi Wabi, Zoom (very cheap, hard to build up miles), Signature Room (maybe for drink and view, not for food).
Old Jul 8, 2000, 8:22 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Good to see these threads never die. Mileage run due this year so any ideas on Dl from PBI welcomed.
Old Jul 8, 2000, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Outoftown,

You test drove a Buick for miles. (I assume you're referring to Delta's 5000-mile promo of last year.) I didn't test drive the Buick and got the same miles. What I did was to drive up to the dealer in a new BMW (it happened to be mine, but I would have borrowed something similar othewise) and parked it right in front of the showroom window. I went in and showed a sales rep the card. I said I wasn't a serious prospect for a new Buick (since he had just seen me get out of my car, he didn't need a lot of convincing) but did want the miles. Did he really want to waste his time and lose his place in the rotation going for a ride with me? Of course he didn't. He completed the form. I left inside two minutes. The miles showed up soon after.
Old Jul 8, 2000, 12:33 pm

I took a bus segment to earn 151 miles more than the alternate routing...but I also saved $5.50!
Old Jul 8, 2000, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
I had a roundtrip nonrefundable ticket (a lot cheaper than a 1 way) to return home from RDU to SJC and didn't plan to use the return portion back to RDU. I drove 45 minutes to the airport, checked in for the return flight from SJC to RDU, and drove home. Apparently, the check-in procedure triggered the computer to award the miles.
Old Jul 8, 2000, 5:00 pm

You are all sick. And I KNOW that i've caught it! I fear that I want no cure

Robert.
Old Jul 8, 2000, 5:15 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
I first made Gold on NW at age 17 by making "Pittsburgh Pilgrimages" on a no-advance youth fare NW matched. I did 15,000 miles by flying:

Day 1: MSP-CMH-DTW-PIT PIT-DTW-MKE-MSP
Next day: MSP-IND-DTW-PIT PIT-DTW-MKE-MSP
Next Day: MSP-ORD-DTW-PIT PIT-DTW=MKE-MSP
Next day: MSP-CMH-DTW-PIT PIT-DTW-SFO
Red eye early the next day: SFO-DCA
I got off at the intermediate stop in MSP.

The DTW agent for the PIT flight didn't know what to think after day 2....

My plan didn't phase my parents, though-- they were used to me taking day trips on city bus routes, and this wasn't too much different.
Old Jul 8, 2000, 9:34 pm

For all that I ..... and moan about and genuinely loathe NW, I am ashamed every time I have to get on their planes out of my loyalty to CO and my commitment to OnePass.

"'Earned' Elite" - you better believe it.
Old Jul 14, 2000, 10:12 am

People who work with me say I have it bad...

My name is Alaska Joe.. and I am a mileage addict! When I travel on company business I find two hotels that offer Alaska Airlines mileage... and alternate daily between the two. My best "score" was in Anchorage this winter. Westmark Hotels was offering triple miles (1500) for each stay, and I double dipped at Hilton on the alternate days and logged 500 miles each check-in. Also I got a voluntary bump and flew from Juneau to Anchorage via Seattle.. with a free ticket woucher in hand and a comp first class upgrade (equals miles + 50%) With my electronic ticket bonus and kiosk check-in bonus and credit card ticket purchase bonus I figure I cleared over 15,000 miles... and you know whay??? I am **** proud of it.... no remorse what-so-ever! LOL
Old Jul 15, 2000, 10:43 am

Last year I needed around a 1000 miles to maintain my Silver with NW. Flew a $120 route, ORD-BWI-ORD, on a Saturday, stayed overnight in an airport hotel, returned the next day after, met my family at ORD and we all flew the same route to spend the holidays with my in-laws in Northern Virginia. The unplanned reward - I flew to KUL last March on J class which qualified for a double miles promotion, plus 50% J class bonus plus 50% Silver elite bonus plus 10,000 promotion bonus for flying J class totalling 68,500 miles.

This trip was sponsored by an international organization who prepaid the airfare but their travel agency failed to request the ConnectFirst option. I could have booked the flight myself in the Web for $2000 less, received 5000 online bonus and flew FC. Oh well, I can't complain much for this convergence of these opportunities.
Old Jul 15, 2000, 7:17 pm
Original Member

What a relief. I am NOT alone in my addiction to airmiles and hotel points. Did the Marriott 10,000 bonus. PAYOFF>> 2 FREE nites at Renaissance San Francisco,..Nob Hill.. Breakfast VERY expensive.. But good.. VERY NICE HOTEL!.. Did the Skymiles Dining to get the extra 2000 Skymiles needed for 'FREE' BE seat on transcon flight JFK to SAN. I feel better now that I am NOT alone in my "craziness for miles/points". It is funny when ones friends start joking with you. Making remarks such as "Mike are you getting Skymiles for this purchase/dinner?"... LOL Best Regards to all FF's with the affliction. Mike Mahoney

[This message has been edited by MIKE MAHONEY (edited 07-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by MIKE MAHONEY (edited 07-15-2000).]
Old Jul 18, 2000, 11:04 am

Location: UA 1K 3MM, UA 1P/1K since mid '80s; CO Bronze/Silver since mid 80's, Austin, Texas
More than ten years ago, just after the Lockerbie incident had tighted security, I lacked a couple hundred miles of making Premier Executive on United. Other obligations held me back from making a mileage run of any sort until December 31.

I was living in LA, so I bought a cheap roundtrip to someplace close (was it SAN?). I checked in with no intentions of actually flying. But they were making ominous announcements about security and baggage being linked with passengers and the like. So I felt compelled to board the plane to be counted as someone who actually made the flight. I sat in a seat that was not mine for a few moments to evade detection if I was missed later. Ten minutes before the door closed I hustled off the plane saying something about a phone call I had to make and that I would be right back (cell phones had yet to become common). I lingered near by until the plane blocked out, telling myself that I was not a criminal, that I had paid for the flight. I suppose that the only thing embarassing about it was that taking a phantom flight was my excitement on New Year's eve.

I had a happy new year as UA gold, and have been Premier Exec ever since. I've done a bit more planning since then so that my mileage runs aren't delayed until December 31.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.