Wiki Posts
Search

The Most Embarassing Thing I've Ever Done to Get Miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 1999, 8:15 pm

Rudi -

Here are a few you can borrow:

ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß

(Highlight, hit <control><c>, and you've copied them; now put them into a document <control><v> and save it to be copied for future use.)
Old Oct 21, 1999, 12:59 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
ß
Old Oct 29, 1999, 1:54 am
In Memoriam

OMNI regarding umlauts, accents, and other special characters: when I need them for FlyerTalk or my e-mail software, I use Microsoft Word (Insert Symbol ...) to get the character, copy it to the clipboard, and paste here: ü é Æ ½ ¢ £ © º.
Old Jul 6, 2000, 9:39 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Bringing this thread forward for the "newbies" and for any additional embarresments this past year!
Old Jul 6, 2000, 12:31 pm
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
I can't give y'all anything too impressive, but remembering the 10k bonus for 5 Marriott stays paid with a Visa, I did have to finish that one with a Fairfield stay in walking distance of my house...
Old Jul 6, 2000, 4:53 pm

How's this for sad. I use to fly R/T SJC to SFO (10 minute flight), SFO to LAX, LAX to ONT, another 10 minute flight to vist my parents in Southern California while I was in college. Four segments and 3,000 miles

There were times that I was the only person on the prop plane flight, talk about weird, and I HAD to pay attention to the preflight announcement, since they were only looking at me in the eye with no other passengers.

[This message has been edited by raffy (edited 07-06-2000).]
Old Jul 6, 2000, 10:04 pm
dg1

I flew four turbo-prop flights today back and forth just for the miles (segments). I will do it three more times this year. On these small planes, the co-pilot also acts as the flight attendant, and he had a real kick of seeing me on the flight, over and over and over again. And he'll see me next week, and the week after that...

sheesh
Old Jul 6, 2000, 11:05 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
For 10 years have been a NW loyalist with a total of 900,000 miles and all the way up to Platinum. Now at Silver it is OK, but upgrades have become a little risky with the increased crowds flying.
So this year, switched to CO and got 24,624 miles to date. Scheduled a SAN to LAS R/T to make that SILVER on CO. I hope it is as good as NW has been to me.
This is no where near as outrageous as most on here, but it is addicting. Who wants to sit in the back?
Had to fly in Coach SAN to MSP on NW last week and it was painful. The beef was hardly a passing grade.

------------------
It is never too late to have a HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

[This message has been edited by ROADRUNNER (edited 07-06-2000).]
Old Jul 7, 2000, 1:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, HH expired!, "Good Kid Club" (Silver)
With all due respect, I think you're forgetting we are supposed to be talking about embarrassment here.

I doubt you could be as embarrassed about your schemes as I am about the following:

My company was in need of some products that had been delayed, and wanted me to fly over courrier-style to get them. It would have netted about 30K miles (NRT-PIT) plus hotel points and AA upgrades, I had the tickets confirmed and everything, AND I TOLD THEM NO!

What kind of a self-respecting ff would turn down 30K on company money? I should be ashamed!

(In my own defense, it would have been a waste of company $ as UPS Express got them here cheaper than and just as fast as I could have, and I had an important meeting to plan my upcoming wedding that weekend.)

Burkey forgave me (after helping plan the trip - just in case), and I hope the rest of you can too. Happy flying!

-KP
Old Jul 7, 2000, 2:59 am
EBG

Well.. I used to think I was crazy because of this, but maybe it's not that crazy after all, compared to the reading in these posts.

But anyways, I live in Malmö, southern Sweden. On a clear day you can see across the sea to copenhagen, Denmark, hub of SAS. now instead of just spending 20 minutes on a ferry crossing, I would fly from Malmö domestic apt, up to Stockholm, (600 miles) and then from there back down to CPH (another 600) (since most flights from Stockhokm would involve changing planes at CPH anyways). Not the quickest and most environmentally friendly way to get to the airport located 15 miles from your home. But- hey- it's status miles!
Old Jul 7, 2000, 2:59 am
EBG

Well.. I used to think I was crazy because of this, but maybe it's not that crazy after all, compared to the reading in these posts.

But anyways, I live in Malmö, southern Sweden. On a clear day you can see across the sea to copenhagen, Denmark, hub of SAS. now instead of just spending 20 minutes on a ferry crossing, I would fly from Malmö domestic apt, up to Stockholm, (600 miles) and then from there back down to CPH (another 600) (since most flights from Stockhokm would involve changing planes at CPH anyways). Not the quickest and most environmentally friendly way to get to the airport located 15 miles from your home. But- hey- it's status miles!
Old Jul 7, 2000, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
[inadvertent double posting deleted]

[This message has been edited by Efrem (edited 07-07-2000).]
Old Jul 7, 2000, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
EBG, since both the aircraft and the ferry would presumably make the trips even without you, the environmental impact is limited to (a) the impact of your weight on the carrier in question, which is negligible though slightly higher for the airplane, and (b) the impact of your travel to the point of embarkation. If you're no further from the airport than you are from the dock, or if you travel by public transport which is also not adding a trip for you alone, you can rest easy on that score.
Old Jul 7, 2000, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
1. About twice a month, I fly BUR-SFO-LAS-SFO-BUR (all in one day) just for the segments. I love to fly, and it is pretty cheap ($90 per trip)... compared to how I would spend the money in other ways! Some call it a waste of time. I call it what I lvoe to do!

2. Am flying to Chicago from LA soon: LAX-SNA-DEN-DSM-ORD

ORD-PIA-DEN-PHX-LAX.

$250 roundtrip vs. over $300 for the direct flights.
Old Jul 7, 2000, 2:09 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I'm not sure that this fits in with embarassing tactics for miles but:

1) Back when you could still get awards on BA with US miles, I wanted to fly the Concorde to LHR but found that I was slightly short of the 125K miles needed. So I flew BUF-PIT-TPA-EYW-FLL-CLT-BUF to earn the miles plus spent the weekend in EYW.

2) I had a special offer with NW, fly 12,500 mi in 4 mos and keep gold for the next year. I ended up doing BUF-DTW-LGW-DTW-BUF for about $250 (fare was $400 with $150 in vouchers).

3) Miles are great. For the last 2 trips to BKK, I used NW miles and flew RT in FC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.