Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volumebuy AA $50 certificates 25% off are back

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2000, 9:55 pm
Original Member

Dgordon,

Your post about Entertainment coupon usage on bump vouchers is correct, however, the Entertainment coupon might not apply for these incentive gift certificates.

Here are some of the restrictions on the gift certificates:

o Prepaid tickets (PTA) not allowed.
o Valid only for tickets issued on AA tix stock.
o Tix issued against incentive gift certificates may not be combined with any other awards or discount coupon offers.
o Code share flights are excluded
o Cert amount in excess of value of tix may be refunded in the form of transportation voucher.

If there is a problem have the AA agent refer to star file N*GFT CERT.
Old Jan 31, 2000, 9:59 am

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
sggolf
I think you may be right. I wonder what would happen if part of the fare were paid with bumped vouchers and part with these volumbuy vouchers. I guess I'll find out the next time I fly.
P.S. last day - at $37.50

------------------
DtG

Old Jan 31, 2000, 11:26 am

Here is my experience when buying AA tickets with VolumeBuy certificates. I called 1-800-433-1790 to make my reservation. The agent told me that if I make reservation via the web, I will not get the tax saving. The ticket cost $172. The price that I paid and printed on my ticket is $159. I used 3 $50 certificates and charged the rest on my credit card. I went to my local ticket office to pick up the tickets. It does took 15-20 minutes for the ticketing. By the way, I brough some AA gift certificates from www.giftpoint.com. It is the same kind of certificate.
Old Jan 31, 2000, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT & 2MM- Thank You, FT !!
Thanks -- I'm in at $37.50 (just purchased) and appreciate all the information.

One more question: has anyone used these vouchers to pay for upgrades (i.e., eight at $200?) If AA accepts them same as cash, seems this would be another acceptable form of payment.

Which leads to, can they be used to pay for Admiral's Club membership?
Old Jan 31, 2000, 3:02 pm

Did the agent say why the tax isn't waived if the reservation is held on-line. Was he meaning actually purchased on-line or just reserve. When I reserve on-line, but buy in person, the tax is waived for my "bumped" vouchers. Still wonder what would happen if combined?

------------------
DtG

Old Jan 31, 2000, 3:34 pm

dgordon, the agent said that the tax will not be waived if I reserved it online. I don't know if this is true or not since I didn't tested it. Do anyone have any experience in using these certificates with the Entertaintment coupon? The certificate did said "Tickets issued against incentive gift certificates may not be combined with any other awards or discount coupon offers."
Old Jan 31, 2000, 4:37 pm

The small print specifically states that the certificates are for ticket purchase only.
Old Jan 31, 2000, 7:00 pm

BTW, American has some great rates to Europe right now. Just booked (online) from Orange Co to Frankfurt for $299 w/tax total $376. I was concerned that I wasn't going to get the certs in time to pay but it sounds like I might not be able to use them for online booking anyway. Anyone know of a carrier similar to ValueJet that flies within Germany?
Old Feb 1, 2000, 7:25 am

The pool closes today at 3 pm. They allow only 4 certs max at this level. I had to go in twice to buy 8 more, 4 for me, 4 for my husband because I didn't know if they would deny 2 orders in a row. I think when I buy my next ticket, I will bring both my bumped vouchers and these and see if they agent treats them differently. Buyers from last pool- How long did it take to get the certs from the time it closed? A friend is wanting to fly ORD to Las Vegas and wondered if they would come in time.

------------------
DtG

Old Feb 8, 2000, 3:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
The AA ticket agent at DFW was ready to shoot me last week when I presented the VolumeBuy certs for a ticket purchase! He had never seen them before and had to go to the STAR file to check how they should be processed. As he read the rules, he got more and more unhappy. The rules must not have been clear because he had to try many things to get the ticket purchase completed. It took close to 1/2 hour. In the end, the ticket I reserved on-line was purchased ($345) completely using the VolumeBuy certs. I received a $5.00 voucher back, my ticket receipt shows the full cost of the ticket, and I did NOT get any tax savings. On the other hand, I believe I will get the 1000 miles booking bonus and will be able to upgrade using my electronic upgrades. On Friday I will make a second attempt using the certs (I still have $650 of them left). Maybe I'll just stick to buying upgrades for my account.
Old Feb 8, 2000, 4:19 pm
Original Member

Have you tried a city ticket office? I don't think the airport is up to date on the certs.
The city ticket offices must get transportation vouchers (bumps) all the time which are also tax exempt.

The other option would be ticket by mail. I was offered the option to send my certs to AA , but I didn't go on that trip.
Old Feb 9, 2000, 7:33 am

I agree that a ticket office is a better bet. One time when I went to the airport on a Sun. it was so messed up that they ended up charging my credit card for 2 tickets I purchased with vouchers. It was a nightmare until it got straightened out (for which I complained and got some miles for it!). I go to the same office and the staff there seems to know what they are doing. I haven't used the volumebuy certs yet, but I have used the "bumped" vouchers.

P.S. The vouchers are available again at volumbuy with about 2 days left. They are at $45 with 8 more purchases to bring it to $43.75
------------------
DtG

[This message has been edited by dgordon (edited 02-09-2000).]
Old Feb 9, 2000, 8:21 am

Do these vouchers ever go below $37.50 on a $50 voucher??? Would love to see how low we could get them...
Old Feb 9, 2000, 9:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Just got off the phone with an AA rep who seemed familiar with the certificates and had a copy of the STAR file in front of her. The certs CANNOT be used to purchase upgrades....they are for ticket purchases only.
Old Feb 9, 2000, 11:44 am

Anna:

The certs don't go below $37.50. Sorry!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.