Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Should you feel guilty for participating in a Mileage/Points Program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2023, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Opinion piece in the NY Times suggests the answer is yes, because the poor are adversely affected by your behavior!

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/04/o...smid=url-share
Old Mar 9, 2023, 4:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 747FC
Opinion piece in the NY Times suggests the answer is yes, because the poor are adversely affected by your behavior!

That’s about credit card programs more than about airline mileage/point programs.

No guilt about my airline FFP participation or frequent train rider program participation.

When it comes to people who are poorer or in otherwise more difficult financial situations than average, they are probably both paying a higher cost for credit card use and also subsidizing the rewards of others using high reward credit cards.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
?????

No relevance to FT.

David
Marschel likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 1:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond

it’s weird, because I read the opinion piece and nowhere in the opinion piece did it say that people should feel guilty for taking advantage of bonuses and benefit programs offered by banks and credit cards. It did suggest that Congress was going to look at some reform measures.

Of course, no one feels guilty, nor was there anything in the piece that suggested that people should feel guilty. The real wealth redistribution is not from the poor to those people with credit cards, it’s from the poor to the banks.

Merely writing an opinion piece pointing out an income redistribution scheme does not imply that the people who benefit from it should feel “guilty” about using a service offered by banks.
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by DELee
?????

No relevance to FT.

David
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
it’s weird, because I read the opinion piece and nowhere in the opinion piece did it say that people should feel guilty for taking advantage of bonuses and benefit programs offered by banks and credit cards. It did suggest that Congress was going to look at some reform measures.

Of course, no one feels guilty, nor was there anything in the piece that suggested that people should feel guilty. The real wealth redistribution is not from the poor to those people with credit cards, it’s from the poor to the banks.

Merely writing an opinion piece pointing out an income redistribution scheme does not imply that the people who benefit from it should feel “guilty” about using a service offered by banks.
The "feel guilty" phrase was in jest. Sorry for the confusion.

Actually, I found it an interesting piece, that obviously won't change the behavior of FTers.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
The "feel guilty" phrase was in jest. Sorry for the confusion.

Actually, I found it an interesting piece, that obviously won't change the behavior of FTers.
No worries. I thought it was an interesting perspective as well. I am not sure I agree with the author's opinion, but I am glad you posted it so I could read it.

I think we are going to see credit card companies trying to recoup some of those costs by increasing the annual fees of these reward cards. As you know, we will continue to play the game (which is why this article is very relevant to FT) and try to maximize our rewards while continuing to minimize our costs because that's how we do. Thanks for posting it.
747FC and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: Globalist, BA Silver, United Silver, KrisFlyer Gold
No. It's called a Loyalty program.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:57 pm

Programs: Globalist, BA Silver, United Silver, KrisFlyer Gold
Absolutely
Old Mar 10, 2023, 2:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
No worries. I thought it was an interesting perspective as well. I am not sure I agree with the author's opinion, but I am glad you posted it so I could read it.

I think we are going to see credit card companies trying to recoup some of those costs by increasing the annual fees of these reward cards. As you know, we will continue to play the game (which is why this article is very relevant to FT) and try to maximize our rewards while continuing to minimize our costs because that's how we do. Thanks for posting it.
They won’t increase fees to recoup those costs as much as they will increase fees to grow their profit margins and revenues in line with “investor expectations”. The motivation for fee increases is primarily to drive up bank share prices and thereby boost the income of senior management at the card-issuing banks.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
As a traveler, do I feel guilty? No.

Whether banks need to be better regulated is a separate topic.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 5:52 am

Interesting read. Thanks for posting. There are many things I can feel guilty about in this my (relatively) privileged life - this is not one of them.
sdsearch and trooper like this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 6:00 am

Growing up, I can recall being impressed upon me to "never wear out one's welcome." Well, y'all do-gooders, real or fake, get one shot at propaganda, and it was wasted on me during my University days (you can thank Pres Reagan for that, I suppose). So, no, after your efforts so many years ago, I'm immune to this stuff. Matter of fact, y'all tree-huggers tried so hard, my answer is "let them eat cake" after my 4 years of enduring your spiel.

*tongue in cheek* assuming this thread was intended to be so.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 6:16 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Falls under “there is no ethical consumption under capitalism” for me
Old Mar 26, 2023, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by baldguy
No. It's called a Loyalty program.
Agreed, loyalty is lost value in modern day society.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Marshii
Agreed, loyalty is lost value in modern day society.
True, but most of the programs aren't really "loyalty" programs anymore. They are rewarding and provide transactional value back to you, but the brands are not "loyal" to anyone and I would never describe myself as loyal to any of them. Achieving the status tiers and the benefits that come with them makes travel easier but it really isn't any deeper than that to me.

Especially now that pretty much all of the major hotel brands have killed off any illusion of true hospitality. Starwood once did a nice job of engendering loyalty between its hotels and guests but that culture has been fully killed off by Marriott. There are individual properties out there that take good care of their own regular guests. But the big programs are purely about transactional value these days - maximizing the "rebate" value you get off of paid stays in the form of award stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.