Wiki Posts
Search

Valuations: Points vs Miles vs Cashback

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2023, 10:48 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by pinniped
For my needs:

AA, 2cpm, redeeming short-haul domestic for my non-elite-status kids. Just had a redemption last week, 8500 miles for a ticket that would have been about $210 in Basic Economy, $240 in regular Y. Boring award but good cash value.
AS, hard to put a value on them because I redeem them for long-haul J/F that I wouldn't otherwise buy with cash. So I call it 1.5 cpm if I'm considering alternatives. As they integrate into OW they're devaluing in the process, but there are still some sweet spots out there.
HY, 1.5 cents. Globalists can do better I'm sure. As a Discoverist I limit my redemptions to Hyatt Place, mostly, so I'm sort of bound by the mid-category opportunities.
Marriott, 1 cent. Redeeming in the Middle East and Asia is the way to go for Marriott. US and European redemptions are often painful. I sometimes use my credit card Free Nights in US and Europe for higher-end hotels.
Hilton - 0.5 cent, trending towards 0.4 cent. The Turkish Lira of hotel points.
UA, A3, BA, DL - all of these I rank a little lower than AS, simply because I don't earn enough of them to ever redeem a long-haul J/F award and don't often see really great low-end awards. BA used to have some short-haul sweet spots but they aren't as good as they once were. So maybe 1.3-1.5 cents each.

If there's ever a "tie", I err on the side of cashback. I don't carry a walletful of cards to play the category games, but for things like dining and gas I use a 3-4% cashback card. Already have too many hotel points.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 3:10 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
UR or Venture

Originally Posted by Colin
banks & Hyatt worth $0.015
airlines worth $0.01
hotels worth $0.005

keep it simple.
Have immanent large purchase $20k...and have both Chase CIC, CSP, IHG, CF and C1Vx cc's.
Any opinion on which rewards program is better? MY C1Vx since it's coded as utility will give x2 points.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 9:45 am

Not really sure about how the US airlines compare but I reckon 1 British penny for BA avios and between half and a third of a penny for hotel points. Not that I get many hotel points because I use the BA shopping site to click through to hotels.com and pick up the avios plus the 10% credit.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by euromannn
Have immanent large purchase $20k...and have both Chase CIC, CSP, IHG, CF and C1Vx cc's.
Any opinion on which rewards program is better? MY C1Vx since it's coded as utility will give x2 points.
I don't know all of your cards, but with a $20k purchase I might look at ones that have a good threshold bonus on top of the regular rewards.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 5:00 pm

I don't know all of your cards, but with a $20k purchase I might look at ones that have a good threshold bonus on top of the regular rewards.
Agree, prefer the scenario of a new SUB card with x2 points or more. Unfortunately this would my Capital One Venture X which I already have. I have CSP, CIHG, CIC, C1VX, C1Quicksilver.
So I'll take your advice and apply for a Business card get high SUB of 90k plus 20000 points spend.
I'm going business cards with Chase as no credit iscore change.

Last edited by euromannn; Jan 17, 2023 at 5:09 pm
Old Jan 18, 2023, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Grey Nomad
Not really sure about how the US airlines compare but I reckon 1 British penny for BA avios and between half and a third of a penny for hotel points. Not that I get many hotel points because I use the BA shopping site to click through to hotels.com and pick up the avios plus the 10% credit.
My $0.02 as a US-based BA Avios user: I haven't redeemed post-covid but pre-covid they were great for transatlantic Aer Lingus flights. I could get around 2 cpm, sometimes a little better, with minimal YQ.

Only drawback: while Y was often wide open - enough that I've redeemed 5-6 awards on the same flight before - J was incredibly scarce. Great for taking the family to Europe. Bad if you are just looking for one premium seat.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
My $0.02 as a US-based BA Avios user: I haven't redeemed post-covid but pre-covid they were great for transatlantic Aer Lingus flights. I could get around 2 cpm, sometimes a little better, with minimal YQ.

Only drawback: while Y was often wide open - enough that I've redeemed 5-6 awards on the same flight before - J was incredibly scarce. Great for taking the family to Europe. Bad if you are just looking for one premium seat.
EI J availability comes and goes. There's often times when nothing's available and times where certain routes are wide open.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by euromannn
hyatt is worth $0.015 and that means chase is worth the same to me as 90% on my chase points are transferred into hyatt.

amex is worth $0.15 because i cash those out via paid J booking with 35% back biz plat benefit and the rest i cashout via schwab plat to schwab roth ira at $0.011 which is worth way way more than that because schwab allows these as over the annual roth contribution limit “bonuses.” 100,000 AMEX points today puts $1100 cash in roth ira today, which will be worth $11,000 in 30 years at 8% rate of return, every dollar tax free forever, and on top of your $6500/$7500 regular contribution.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:22 pm

hyatt is worth $0.015 and that means chase is worth the same to me as 90% on my chase points are transferred into hyatt.

amex is worth $0.15 because i cash those out via paid J booking with 35% back biz plat benefit and the rest i cashout via schwab plat to schwab roth ira at $0.011 which is worth way way more than that because schwab allows these as over the annual roth contribution limit “bonuses.” 100,000 AMEX points today puts $1100 cash in roth ira today, which will be worth $11,000 in 30 years at 8% rate of return, every dollar tax free forever, and on top of your $6500/$7500 regular contribution.
Wonder if you get better redemption using search tool like point dot me? Im trying to evaluate it's effectiveness but many are recommending it for flights & hotel redemptions. I was unaware of the Schwab IRA deposit, thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 6:06 am

hyatt is worth $0.015 and that means chase is worth the same to me as 90% on my chase points are transferred into hyatt. amex is worth $0.15 because i cash those out via paid J booking with 35% back biz plat benefit and the rest i cashout via schwab plat to schwab roth ira at $0.011 which is worth way way more than that because schwab allows these as over the annual roth contribution limit “bonuses.” 100,000 AMEX points today puts $1100 cash in roth ira today, which will be worth $11,000 in 30 years at 8% rate of return, every dollar tax free forever, and on top of your $6500/$7500 regular contribution.
​​​​​​​good luck getting 8% once we default. Also 6500/7500 is the annual limit so I'm not sure what you mean by "on top of your regular contribution"
Old Feb 13, 2023, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Sloflyer032
good luck getting 8% once we default. Also 6500/7500 is the annual limit so I'm not sure what you mean by "on top of your regular contribution"
i don't do tutorials
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Sloflyer032
.... 6500/7500 is the annual limit so I'm not sure what you mean by "on top of your regular contribution"
Explanation here: https://www.drmcfrugal.com/roth-ira-...e-schwab-amex/

Critique here: https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/po...roth-ira-dont/

Since these articles were written the cash out rate has changed from $0.0125 to $0.011, but the concept is the same.
SPN Lifer and Sloflyer032 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.