Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Valuations: Points vs Miles vs Cashback

Old Jan 11, 23, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler View Post
But with the redemption valuations, a 5% cash back card is better for the gas. But for grocery, that is great.
Id rather have 5X UA miles or 5X Hyatt points or similar than 5% cashback. (also, I dont have a 5% cashback card for gas anyway).

What did you get? How did you find it?
chase.com/mybonus - see wiki
Old Jan 11, 23, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
Id rather have 5X UA miles or 5X Hyatt points or similar than 5% cashback..i
why?
Old Jan 11, 23, 7:50 pm

why?
that is a curious thought. I guess it's based on TPGs value which at least for airlines is based on first class. I've always found that funny because first class is a horrible waste of money all things considered
Old Jan 11, 23, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
why?
Originally Posted by Sloflyer032 View Post
that is a curious thought. I guess it's based on TPGs value which at least for airlines is based on first class. I've always found that funny because first class is a horrible waste of money all things considered
I am not following TPG and don’t know how they value hotel points and airline miles. I personally find it pretty easy to get more than one cent per mile out of UA miles. A classic 25k miles domestic award would just have to pay for a $250 coach revenue ticket to get 1 cent per mile. The same is true for Hyatt points. You don’t need book a Park Hyatt luxury suite to get > 1 cent. An 8000 point award for a $150 Hyatt Place night gets you nearly 1.9 cents per point. And those awards are often cheaper than 8k points.

As to whether First Class is a horrible waste, well, we all have different needs and preferences. One reason why I am in this game is so we can travel more often and more comfortably.
dhammer53 and Brendan like this.
Old Jan 12, 23, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
I am not following TPG and don’t know how they value hotel points and airline miles. I personally find it pretty easy to get more than one cent per mile out of UA miles. A classic 25k miles domestic award would just have to pay for a $250 coach revenue ticket to get 1 cent per mile. The same is true for Hyatt points. You don’t need book a Park Hyatt luxury suite to get > 1 cent. An 8000 point award for a $150 Hyatt Place night gets you nearly 1.9 cents per point. And those awards are often cheaper than 8k points.

As to whether First Class is a horrible waste, well, we all have different needs and preferences. One reason why I am in this game is so we can travel more often and more comfortably.
Since people apparently disagree with TPG valuations. What valuations do you apply to AA, DL, UA and Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, and MR, UR, TYP?
Old Jan 12, 23, 9:04 am

Since people apparently disagree with TPG valuations. What valuations do you apply to AA, DL, UA and Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, and MR, UR, TYP?
banks & Hyatt worth $0.015
airlines worth $0.01
hotels worth $0.005

keep it simple.
Old Jan 12, 23, 10:04 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
TPG uses inflated valuations because that way they can call a 50,000 point sign-up bonus a "Bonus worth $1000!!!" in their headlines and attract more people to open credit cards, for which they get paid $100+ each.

That said, while the same misaligned incentive still exists, I personally find OMAAT's point valuations a bit more reasonable: https://onemileatatime.com/guides/value-miles-points/ (And, perhaps not coincidentally, he usually does not frame credit card pitch post titles in that way, though he will mention his implied valuation in the text of such posts.)

Originally Posted by Colin View Post
banks & Hyatt worth $0.015
airlines worth $0.01
hotels worth $0.005

keep it simple.
This is also not a bad shorthand (though I would bump up the value of Bonvoy points slightly).
hurnik and dhammer53 like this.
Old Jan 12, 23, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
This is also not a bad shorthand (though I would bump up the value of Bonvoy points slightly).
Things are likely to change there very soon with the new year. I do think they might be worth 0.006 but I like the shorthand approach - especially when explaining this all to others.
Old Jan 12, 23, 1:35 pm

My biggest issue with TPG is they calculate cash price vs points. What they do not factor in is that you get points for making a cash reservation. Here is what I use

UA, AA - 0.01
UR/MR/Hyatt - 0.015
Marriott - 0.08
Hilton/IHG - 0.05

I dont have any DL or TYP, so I do not value them
Old Jan 12, 23, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Schnit View Post
My biggest issue with TPG is they calculate cash price vs points. What they do not factor in is that you get points for making a cash reservation. Here is what I use

UA, AA - 0.01
UR/MR/Hyatt - 0.015
Marriott - 0.08
Hilton/IHG - 0.05

I dont have any DL or TYP, so I do not value them
Interesting numbers.
Old Jan 12, 23, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Schnit View Post
My biggest issue with TPG is they calculate cash price vs points. What they do not factor in is that you get points for making a cash reservation. Here is what I use UA, AA - 0.01UR/MR/Hyatt - 0.015Marriott - 0.08Hilton/IHG - 0.05 I dont have any DL or TYP, so I do not value them
did you miss a zero in there for hilton and marriott?
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 12, 23, 9:46 pm

Yes, I agree.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 13, 23, 8:14 am

yup, sorry
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 13, 23, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
For my needs:

AA, 2cpm, redeeming short-haul domestic for my non-elite-status kids. Just had a redemption last week, 8500 miles for a ticket that would have been about $210 in Basic Economy, $240 in regular Y. Boring award but good cash value.
AS, hard to put a value on them because I redeem them for long-haul J/F that I wouldn't otherwise buy with cash. So I call it 1.5 cpm if I'm considering alternatives. As they integrate into OW they're devaluing in the process, but there are still some sweet spots out there.
HY, 1.5 cents. Globalists can do better I'm sure. As a Discoverist I limit my redemptions to Hyatt Place, mostly, so I'm sort of bound by the mid-category opportunities.
Marriott, 1 cent. Redeeming in the Middle East and Asia is the way to go for Marriott. US and European redemptions are often painful. I sometimes use my credit card Free Nights in US and Europe for higher-end hotels.
Hilton - 0.5 cent, trending towards 0.4 cent. The Turkish Lira of hotel points.
UA, A3, BA, DL - all of these I rank a little lower than AS, simply because I don't earn enough of them to ever redeem a long-haul J/F award and don't often see really great low-end awards. BA used to have some short-haul sweet spots but they aren't as good as they once were. So maybe 1.3-1.5 cents each.

If there's ever a "tie", I err on the side of cashback. I don't carry a walletful of cards to play the category games, but for things like dining and gas I use a 3-4% cashback card. Already have too many hotel points.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 23, 11:30 am

I tend to fly First Class (domestically), so the points values will be a bit under.
UA = $0.012 or so per point
AA = $0.02/point
B6 = $0.011/point

DL is the outlier. Why? Well, "average" about $0.011/point. However, lately DL has been about 3x-4x the price (cash) for First class compared to their competition, so that will totally skew the values to upwards of $0.04/point I've found. (very dependent of course).

Given the redemption rates, I'd say absent SUBs, it would be better to use a 2% cash back card and the 5% cards (Discover/Chase Freedom) with the rotating categories.

I agree OMAAT valuations are more "in line" than TPG. VFTW is also mostly realistic, IMO as well.

Hilton Honors is about $0.015 unless you can snag the Maldives or something like that with the lower rates, IMO.

But everyone's situation will be different (how much do you spend, on what, etc.)

Search this Thread