MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but just wondering what people think about the PointsU seminar this weekend?
I'm considering going as I'm still a bit of a points noob but just wondering if it's worth the admission for a casual flyer... (as in I generally only fly 3-4x/year) sadly I don't have a ton of time off.

Thanks!

PS - don't mean to bash it. I'm honestly just curious what the general idea is about it here.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by olwagner
For anything. I'm looking at airlines miles, but all I see is 15,000 miles, which simply doesn't compare.
If you're looking for lucrative bonii, Canada is not the place to look. Our banks simply do not give away nearly as much as the U.S. banks. Just read the thread and you'll find about the best there is.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but just wondering what people think about the PointsU seminar this weekend?
I'm considering going as I'm still a bit of a points noob but just wondering if it's worth the admission for a casual flyer... (as in I generally only fly 3-4x/year) sadly I don't have a ton of time off.

Thanks!

PS - don't mean to bash it. I'm honestly just curious what the general idea is about it here.
Last year was my first first PointsU seminar.
If you don't travel a lot, and you don't collect a lot, then PointsU might not be for you.

For myself, I travel several times a year, and I also like collecting points and finding good offers.
Most of the points I have collected come from things I learned or things I shared on this forum and forums like this. I got a lot out of PointsU last year and I'm looking forward to this year.

I also have friends and family who I try to manage points for, and help them to get to their goals.

Last edited by jerry305; Sep 24, 2018 at 9:54 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by jerry305
Last year was my first first PointsU seminar.
If you don't travel a lot, and you don't collect a lot, then PointsU might not be for you.

For myself, I travel several times a year, and I also like collecting points and finding good offers.
Most of the points I have collected come from things I learned or things I shared on this forum and forums like this. I got a lot out of PointsU last year and I'm looking forward to this year.

I also have friends and family who I try to manage points for, and help them to get to their goals.
It's not that I don't like to travel a lot, but moreso that I only get about 3.5 weeks off/year.
I do collect points (when possible) and have no issue working to find a good deal.

Still on the fence...
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Looks like milesopedia.com is reporting that we get 30% bonus Avios if transfer from Amex rewards to Avios. Anyone else can from this? Sept 24 to nov
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by aeroman380
Looks like milesopedia.com is reporting that we get 30% bonus Avios if transfer from Amex rewards to Avios. Anyone else can from this? Sept 24 to nov
I don't see that in my account.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:42 am

It's reported everywhere now, reddit and blogs. 9/25 - 11/25
Rewards Canada: Amex Membership Rewards: 30% Bonus Avios when transferring to British Airways Executive Club
​​​​​​​
and you can see it on AMEX T&C
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Smiley90
i'm not seeing it either.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
It's active, even if it doesn't show up in your account. Last bonus I don't think it ever displayed properly. I get the feeling they're not even bothering to update the website at bonus time anymore...
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
The good times are so over.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pokee
It's active, even if it doesn't show up in your account. Last bonus I don't think it ever displayed properly. I get the feeling they're not even bothering to update the website at bonus time anymore...
so what happens when i transfer and don't get the bonus? should i tell them that i read about it on blogs and forums? and please don't tell me that I will. i don't trust any of these companies these days.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:00 am

Got the email for the bonus transfer. Many of you should have as well
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:45 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by crimsona
Got the email for the bonus transfer. Many of you should have as well
Confirmed. Got it last night.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:09 am
Suspended

does the email have a link to a page on either the amex or baec website with details about the bonus? if it does, could you share please?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by BenSenise
does the email have a link to a page on either the amex or baec website with details about the bonus? if it does, could you share please?
Go to the Membership Rewards page, Frequent Traveler Participants and click on the BA Avios transfer button. Here, you don't even need to log in:
https://catalogue.membershiprewards....rtners-ba-logo

At the bottom of the page, there is a clickable bar button called "Product Information". Click on it to expand it and you'll see the information about the 30% transfer bonus to Avios.
SPECIAL OFFER From September 25, 2018 until November 25, 2018, your transfer of 1,000 Membership Rewards® points to Avios is equal to 1,300 Avios. For example: • 1,000 Membership Rewards points = 1,000 1,300 Avios • 30,000 Membership Rewards points = 30,000 39,000 Avios • 50,000 Membership Rewards points = 50,000 65,000 Avios A minimum transfer of 1,000 Membership Rewards points is required. Transfer your Membership Rewards points to Avios – the currency of the British Airways Executive Club.
BenSenise and Bohemian1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.