MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
The non premier world doesn't seem to have airline transfer options. Only the Premier one does
That's too bad. I guess the no-FX and welcome bonus are still worth having.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

Alaska Airlines MBNA MasterCard

Bonus offer is now 30,000 Alaska miles.
(It's still listed as 25,000 in some places, but the offer page has changed to 30,000.)

Terms:
30,000 bonus miles†† and Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ from $121 (USD) ($99 plus taxes and fees from $22)◊◊ after you make $1,000 or more in eligible purchases within the first 90 days of your account opening.

GCR:
I'm not able to test this offer and check for GCR availability just yet... my existing card is too new
If you complete an application, please share your results.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by jerry305

Alaska Airlines MBNA MasterCard

Bonus offer is now 30,000 Alaska miles.
(It's still listed as 25,000 in some places, but the offer page has changed to 30,000.)

Terms:
30,000 bonus miles†† and Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ from $121 (USD) ($99 plus taxes and fees from $22)◊◊ after you make $1,000 or more in eligible purchases within the first 90 days of your account opening.

GCR:
I'm not able to test this offer and check for GCR availability just yet... my existing card is too new
If you complete an application, please share your results.
Also New:

"One complimentary checked bag per passenger on the same qualifying reservation, up to a maximum of six passengersæ. "
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFan
Also New:

"One complimentary checked bag per passenger on the same qualifying reservation, up to a maximum of six passengersæ. "
As per discussion on the Canadian Alaska Mastercard thread, it appears the complimentary checked bag allowance applies to the World Elite card not the Platinum Plus card as per the small print. 😯
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Applied for it through GCR. Wasn't approved instantly... we'll see what happens.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
When we churned these Alaska cards last year, none of us got the rebate from GCR. They said we’d gotten the rebate before, and we can’t get another rebate on the same card. Have any of you gotten repeat rebates on this card recently?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by Preacher7
When we churned these Alaska cards last year, none of us got the rebate from GCR. They said we’d gotten the rebate before, and we can’t get another rebate on the same card. Have any of you gotten repeat rebates on this card recently?
Yes, got another rebate 2 weeks ago... had it last year (and 3x previously, with no problems)
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
the app through GCR is directing me to the 25K offer for the alaska card, not the 30K offer

is anyone else able to redirect to the 30K offer through GCR?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
​​​​​

Yes. Got it last year.

Having the card previously doesn't preclude you from getting the rebate again, as I don't recall anything like that in the T&C and that would be pretty abnormal as Alaska pays them for every approved application - bonus or not. You should double check the T&C, appeal, and let us know how it goes.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
the app through GCR is directing me to the 25K offer for the alaska card, not the 30K offer

is anyone else able to redirect to the 30K offer through GCR?
I applied and was approved yesterday for the 30k offer via GCR. Just clicked through again now and I get the 25k offer so it looks like the 30k is gone. Fortunately, I took a screenshot of the 30k.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: aeroplan, amex, priority club
looking for advice about transfer avion pts over to avios with the 30 percent bonus they have right now , i have around 47000 avion , my wife has 17000 avion, we can use the pts for a flight but if i can get bigger bang for the transfer over to avios i would like to do it , my only problem is we fly out of yhz , ba and american dont fly out of here, dont have a problem flying to another city to use the avios pts if it be worth it for say flight to europe or to usa if taxes are not high on the flights,, not in a hurry to fly anywhere soon , so if someone with more knowledge about the avios program and was in my situation would u do the transfer ?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: Amex, FPC, IHG Ambassador, Aeroplan,BA
Originally Posted by radoak
looking for advice about transfer avion pts over to avios with the 30 percent bonus they have right now , i have around 47000 avion , my wife has 17000 avion, we can use the pts for a flight but if i can get bigger bang for the transfer over to avios i would like to do it , my only problem is we fly out of yhz , ba and american dont fly out of here, dont have a problem flying to another city to use the avios pts if it be worth it for say flight to europe or to usa if taxes are not high on the flights,, not in a hurry to fly anywhere soon , so if someone with more knowledge about the avios program and was in my situation would u do the transfer ?
If you aren't in a big rush, you could consider transferring with the bonus and getting the RBC British Airways visa with 50000 sign up bonus after spend plus a companion pass once you spend $30000.00. You would then have enough points to redeem 2 first class tickets to Europe. The $30000 spend goes January 1- December 31 keep in mind, and the return taxes are about $1000 per person, but for 2 first class tickets it is still worth it in my opinion.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by radoak
looking for advice about transfer avion pts over to avios with the 30 percent bonus they have right now
remember that BAEC is going with dynamic pricing soon. flights will then have variable costs in avios.

baredemptionfinder.com is a useful resource for finding flights.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:56 am

I've heard that MBNA will just reopen the old account if I apply for a new card within 3 months of closing the old one, but what would happen if I did a product change to the MBNA Rewards Mastercard (effectively leaving that account open), and then applied for a new Alaska card soon after? Any data points on this? Thanks.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:26 am

Anybody has succes on getting approved for a second MBNA Alaska card? I already have one and plan to keep it till November .
On side note from Septemeber 01 the MBNA alaska card annual fee goes from 75 to 99 CAD, however now you get a complimentery checked bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.