Award Redemption LAX to OGG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Redemption LAX to OGG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:11 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Try searching for Avios awards on AA.com. If there is availability on AA or AS for the days that you want, write them down and call BA. I find the BA chart much more temperamental than the AA chart (for you, horseyman... an Arab not a QH, hee hee) .

The beauty of the BA Avios for west coast to Hawaii-- fantastic! They are relatively easy to accrue and you can save your more valuable points for other trips/redemptions. Yes, some LAX departures try to route you through Seattle or Portland, but the direct flights often have great availability from either LA or San Diego. Just got back from Hawaii myself on Avios... much aloha!

Just went to AA.com and looked for you... there are 16 departure dates from LAX to OGG in mid Nov to mid Dec.
19 return dates/OGGxLAX
10 departure dates SANxOGG
11 return dates OGGxSAN

It's always tough to get award bookings for long weekends, and this itinerary is no exception. Try it on AA and see if you find something that tickles your fancy.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Apr 15, 2013 at 8:17 am Reason: looked it up for horseyman
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:26 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Oh, I missed the HNL notation-- that has tons of availability:

LAXxHNL=27 days open mid Nov to mid-Dec
HNLxLAX=25 days
SANxHNL=15 days
HNLxSAN=17 days (everything but Thanksgiving week)

PM me if you need more help and have specific days in mind.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I went to Europe two years running on miles on AA, and since I live near LAX, I was able to get LAX-OGG free as add-ons from LAX-LHR and LHR-LAX.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

In my earlier post, I forgot to note that AA partner TN flies LAX-CDG. So OGG-LAX (stopover) - CDG might be possible for as little as 20,000 AAdvantage miles one way in Coach.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by horseymen
I'll tell you I probably spent 2 hours looking at AVIOS from LAX to OGG and HNL, and found like 1-2 days - and never a perfect week in November and December - so hopefully your results are better than mine.
Tix on that route are very hard to get using BA miles. Very few flights, high demand.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:39 am

The limited LAX-OGG-LAX availability can be a pain, and you will need to be flexible and/or creative to spend those avios unless you're willing to buy 11 months out (when availability seems to be much better).

However, I found that I was able to do it using LAX-OGG (avios), OGG-HNL (united), HNL-LAX (avios) recently. A little flexibility was necessary, but it actually made for a nicely rounded vacation. 12.5k+5k+12.5k = 30k, and so still less than just using United miles, which I generally value slightly higher than avios anyway.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by karlmitchell
The limited LAX-OGG-LAX availability can be a pain, and you will need to be flexible and/or creative to spend those avios unless you're willing to buy 11 months out (when availability seems to be much better).
Even then, weekend travel and business or 1st class seats are not available at all.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for the great advice. I just booked my two round trip awards using BA Avios (transferred 40K SPG points)!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
Originally Posted by guv1976
For inter-continental redemptions ...
Guv - TERRIFIC advice, yet again. ^ Thanks!!
Old May 4, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

In my earlier post, I forgot to note that AA partner TN flies LAX-CDG. So OGG-LAX (stopover) - CDG might be possible for as little as 20,000 AAdvantage miles one way in Coach.
I like this option but if I book a flight now from ogg to lax with a stop then onto LHR, for next feb 2014 from ogg, I can only put LHR off till March 2014, or can you rebook that part for a later date (hope my question Makes sense) thanks
Old May 4, 2013, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by mike2200

I like this option but if I book a flight now from ogg to lax with a stop then onto LHR, for next feb 2014 from ogg, I can only put LHR off till March 2014, or can you rebook that part for a later date (hope my question Makes sense) thanks
AA permits date/time changes on award travel without charge (as long as there is award space on the new flight). But all flights on the award must depart within one year of award-ticket issuance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.