FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   Award Redemption LAX to OGG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1458087-award-redemption-lax-ogg.html)

Matthicks87 Apr 13, 2013 10:29 am

Award Redemption LAX to OGG

What airline do you recommend for redeeming points for nonstop flights to OGG from LAX in November-December (flexible dates)? Based on my research, 35K off peak award through American Airlines seems best.

StartinSanDiego Apr 13, 2013 10:33 am

No, British Airways Avios are best. 12.5K each way, including on AA or Alaska airlines

roki Apr 13, 2013 10:55 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego (Post 20585767)
No, British Airways Avios are best. 12.5K each way, including on AA or Alaska airlines

This. Keep in mind even if you don't have a BA credit card, AMEX MR points transfer to BA, and Chase UR points transfer to BA if you have the Sapphire Preferred.

I got the AMEX PRG 75K (targeted) offer, and transferred them all (plus what i'd earned and hadn't used) to BA last year with a bonus, just before my AF came up on the PRG. Came out just about 125K Avios. 5 RT from LAX > OGG might be the best value from a CC signup bonus I've ever gotten, or ever will get.

mickeydfly13 Apr 13, 2013 11:25 am

Difficult to get award availability with Avios. Very difficult.

LAX88 Apr 13, 2013 11:28 am

Originally Posted by mickeydfly13 (Post 20585968)
Difficult to get award availability with Avios. Very difficult.

That, of course, depends on where you are aiming to go. For example, Avios availability to much of Asia and South America is fantastic. From the west coast, availability to Europe is hit or miss, particularly in F. I don't do Hawaii, so cannot comment on that.

Philatravelgirl Apr 13, 2013 11:47 am

With advanced planning Avios awards are easy in my experience. I've looked at PDX-OGG for July and found options and this is only a few months out

Matthicks87 Apr 13, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks for the advice. I almost have 40K SPG points, which I could transfer to BA Avios to purchase 2 Roundtrip ticketing

guv1976 Apr 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

While redeeming BA Avios for LAX-OGG-LAX on AA is the most economical method, if the OP has any interest in traveling to Europe or South America from LAX some time after returning home from Maui, AA's awards from Hawaii to Europe or South America (with a lengthy stopover in LAX) can be had for 17,500 or 20,000 AA miles, depending on final destination. (Of course, more miles would be needed to get back to LAX from Europe or South America.)

lkar Apr 13, 2013 6:58 pm

SAN is a good second option if you can get there, then 12.5k Avios on AS from SAN. Good availability.

HA often has good availability too, but 12.5k Avios is hard to beat.

gya007 Apr 14, 2013 9:51 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 20587052)
While redeeming BA Avios for LAX-OGG-LAX on AA is the most economical method, if the OP has any interest in traveling to Europe or South America from LAX some time after returning home from Maui, AA's awards from Hawaii to Europe or South America (with a lengthy stopover in LAX) can be had for 17,500 or 20,000 AA miles, depending on final destination. (Of course, more miles would be needed to get back to LAX from Europe or South America.)

Guv - this is interesting. I don't see an ex-Hawaii award chart...which states this clearly (17.5k /20k). Where can I see the possible destinations? TIA
-G

businessmachine Apr 14, 2013 9:56 am

Originally Posted by gya007 (Post 20589982)
Guv - this is interesting. I don't see an ex-Hawaii award chart...which states this clearly (17.5k /20k). Where can I see the possible destinations? TIA
-G

You should check out milevalues different experiments to have a better idea

cascade Apr 14, 2013 3:32 pm

BA is the way to go

guv1976 Apr 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by gya007

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 20587052)

-G

For inter-continental redemptions, Hawaii is considered part of AA's "North America" zone. So just look at the partner award chart to see the mileage requirements. But to get a free stopover at LAX, you would have to subsequently fly on a direct flight (nonstop or through) from LAX to the other continent. (Your trip would not necessarily have to end in the first foreign city; you might be able to connect there to another destination.)

AFAIK, these are the direct-flight options from LAX to Europe/South America:

AA/BA to LHR;
IB to MAD;
AB to TXL and/or DUS;
LA to LIM (nonstop) or SCL (direct)

Some of this service may be seasonal. Avoid BA because of high surcharges.

ALadyNCal Apr 14, 2013 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by LAX88 (Post 20585980)
That, of course, depends on where you are aiming to go.

Apparently OGG :p

horseymen Apr 15, 2013 12:38 am

I'll tell you I probably spent 2 hours looking at AVIOS from LAX to OGG and HNL, and found like 1-2 days - and never a perfect week in November and December - so hopefully your results are better than mine.