Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Award Redemption LAX to OGG

Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:29 am
Original Poster

What airline do you recommend for redeeming points for nonstop flights to OGG from LAX in November-December (flexible dates)? Based on my research, 35K off peak award through American Airlines seems best.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:33 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

No, British Airways Avios are best. 12.5K each way, including on AA or Alaska airlines
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
No, British Airways Avios are best. 12.5K each way, including on AA or Alaska airlines
This. Keep in mind even if you don't have a BA credit card, AMEX MR points transfer to BA, and Chase UR points transfer to BA if you have the Sapphire Preferred.

I got the AMEX PRG 75K (targeted) offer, and transferred them all (plus what i'd earned and hadn't used) to BA last year with a bonus, just before my AF came up on the PRG. Came out just about 125K Avios. 5 RT from LAX > OGG might be the best value from a CC signup bonus I've ever gotten, or ever will get.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: 2015 kettle

Difficult to get award availability with Avios. Very difficult.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by mickeydfly13
Difficult to get award availability with Avios. Very difficult.
That, of course, depends on where you are aiming to go. For example, Avios availability to much of Asia and South America is fantastic. From the west coast, availability to Europe is hit or miss, particularly in F. I don't do Hawaii, so cannot comment on that.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

With advanced planning Avios awards are easy in my experience. I've looked at PDX-OGG for July and found options and this is only a few months out
Old Apr 13, 2013, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I almost have 40K SPG points, which I could transfer to BA Avios to purchase 2 Roundtrip ticketing
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

While redeeming BA Avios for LAX-OGG-LAX on AA is the most economical method, if the OP has any interest in traveling to Europe or South America from LAX some time after returning home from Maui, AA's awards from Hawaii to Europe or South America (with a lengthy stopover in LAX) can be had for 17,500 or 20,000 AA miles, depending on final destination. (Of course, more miles would be needed to get back to LAX from Europe or South America.)
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:58 pm

SAN is a good second option if you can get there, then 12.5k Avios on AS from SAN. Good availability.

HA often has good availability too, but 12.5k Avios is hard to beat.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
Originally Posted by guv1976
While redeeming BA Avios for LAX-OGG-LAX on AA is the most economical method, if the OP has any interest in traveling to Europe or South America from LAX some time after returning home from Maui, AA's awards from Hawaii to Europe or South America (with a lengthy stopover in LAX) can be had for 17,500 or 20,000 AA miles, depending on final destination. (Of course, more miles would be needed to get back to LAX from Europe or South America.)
Guv - this is interesting. I don't see an ex-Hawaii award chart...which states this clearly (17.5k /20k). Where can I see the possible destinations? TIA
-G
Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gya007
Guv - this is interesting. I don't see an ex-Hawaii award chart...which states this clearly (17.5k /20k). Where can I see the possible destinations? TIA
-G

You should check out milevalues different experiments to have a better idea
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
BA is the way to go
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by gya007
Originally Posted by guv1976
-G
For inter-continental redemptions, Hawaii is considered part of AA's "North America" zone. So just look at the partner award chart to see the mileage requirements. But to get a free stopover at LAX, you would have to subsequently fly on a direct flight (nonstop or through) from LAX to the other continent. (Your trip would not necessarily have to end in the first foreign city; you might be able to connect there to another destination.)

AFAIK, these are the direct-flight options from LAX to Europe/South America:

AA/BA to LHR;
IB to MAD;
AB to TXL and/or DUS;
LA to LIM (nonstop) or SCL (direct)

Some of this service may be seasonal. Avoid BA because of high surcharges.

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 15, 2013 at 10:46 am
Old Apr 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by LAX88
That, of course, depends on where you are aiming to go.
Apparently OGG
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:38 am

I'll tell you I probably spent 2 hours looking at AVIOS from LAX to OGG and HNL, and found like 1-2 days - and never a perfect week in November and December - so hopefully your results are better than mine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.