Reload this Page >

Best miles/points reward for checking or saving account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best miles/points reward for checking or saving account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2013, 4:18 pm

Any good checking account sign up's out there?

I have a large balance in my current checking account (75K) that I will be spending in about 6 months, has anyone seen any good sign ups for new checking accounts with a large initial deposit that I could take advantage of? A short term CD with a return rate of 1/2% seems like an insult and a waste of time for 6 months.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL DM - 2M Miler, MR Plat, HH Gold, AA Gold
Any good checking account sign up's out there?

AMEX personal savings is throwing off .90%. Best I've seen out there and I've been very happy with it.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 4:50 pm

Citibank 40K TYP for Gold checking is always running (offer code CMEG).
Old Mar 2, 2013, 4:59 pm

That is the fine print for the bonus. The checking account should have its own rules for waiving the monthly maintenance fee.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 5:05 pm

$30 a month after two free months

Waive monthly service fees on your Citigold checking account by linking accounts. There's no monthly service fee for the first two statement periods. After that, we'll continue to waive the monthly service fee if the combined average monthly balance of your eligible linked accounts is:
$50,000 or more for all linked deposit and retirement accounts OR
$100,000 or more across all your eligible linked Citi accounts, including investments and loan balances, but excluding mortgage balances.

Otherwise, a $30 monthly service fee will apply.

https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/p...do?ID=Citigold
Old Mar 2, 2013, 6:36 pm

It can be a good deal, depends on how you use it. I parked one of my retirement account at Citi to stay "gold". That account is invested in some specific stocks at fidelity, now it's at Citi - not going to sell it anytime soon, so it's just sitting at one brokerage company instead of other.
Now, you can get multiple citigold checking accounts - linked to this one 'household qualifying account'. everyone that can use this address as the billing address and the joint accounts. me, spouse, joint, and couple of family members - can all use this linked account to qualify for gold.
Now, if you can setup one direct deposit and one bill pay from each account every month, and an automatic transfer from checking to savings (i have 50$), then that pays 1300 TY points per account every month. (besides the initial bonus of 40k per person). That's about 65$ in walmart gift cards / Amazon gift cards every month for 5 accounts. (as others have pointed out - the citi TY points from checking are reported to IRS if you withdraw more than 600$, combined with referral bonus, interest etc).. so, only take out enough walmart cards / amazon gift certs every year to keep total below 600. (and don't use these points for airline miles as those will be reported @ 2.5 cents per point).

Easy 400$ per person signup bonus and easy 50-60$ a month for checking account.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by winner88
Reading thru all the fine print and the terms and conditions, there is no other requirements for the TY card except the spend requirement
You need to keep a $50K minimum balance in linked and eligible accounts (see above) to avoid a $30 monthly maintenance fee and the bonus can take up 90 days after the 2nd month that you complete the requirements.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:43 am

The final 20K TY points will require 15K spending??? No Thanks!!!!
Old Mar 3, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: UA/AA
Fidelity is a good place to park if you want miles or Apple.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by kvs25
Looks like this is my best option
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:38 am

AMEX now .85

Originally Posted by EmpireStateOfMind
AMEX personal savings is throwing off .90%. Best I've seen out there and I've been very happy with it.
They lowered it as soon as I moved all my $$ there. Still better than most.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by kvs25
Don't know what Citi did this year, but in past years they have issued 1099's for checking account bonus'. Beware.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, IHG Diamond, Omni Platinum
Not tied to a large initial deposit, but I just got a $200 offer to open a Chase checking account. I only need to maintain $1500 monthly balance to avoid the fees.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:17 am

Citi 30k AA Miles promo code CYFM till th 3/15/13
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by EmpireStateOfMind
The rate was decreased again. It's now at .85%. Still, better than most though. And I too have been happy with it so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.