Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 50-60K HH Amex offers - till 10/31/12

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
Isn't the AMEX HHonors a different card than the AMEX Surpass?

If so, and you haven't had the Surpass before, shouldn't you get the bonus miles?
You are thinking about Chase. AMEX does not operate this way.

In the past it is the differential. Now it seems it has made it a 12 months from cancellation of previous card - that is the T&Cs say and how I understand it. If in practice it is from application as mia alludes to, then it would be much better though I am not convinced it is the norm.

Think about it this way, you dont cancel an AMEX card just a few months after getting it. You most likely cancel it between the 6 and 9 months if not a full year. Then 12 months from cancellation - essentially it means 18 to 24 months from previous card. It has been the unspoken practice in the past but now it seems AMEX makes it official. The data points are too few so far to draw any conclusion whether one would get the full sign up bonus or just the spend bonus or ? It would take several more months before enough data points to show an established pattern.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:29 pm

Quote:
In the past it is the differential. Now it seems it has made it a 12 months from cancellation of previous card - that is the T&Cs say and how I understand it. If in practice it is from application as mia alludes to, then it would be much better though I am not convinced it is the norm.

I am confused by the above quote:

Early June 2012 - AMEX HH card (received bonus)
Late June 2012 - cancelled AMEX PRG card
August 2012- applied for AMEX SPG business card (received the 10k bonus already, waiting to meet the min spending)
Late August 2012 -cancelled AMEX Plat card and Delta Gold Skymiles card

According to T and C, should I have received the bonus for my SPG Biz Card?
Also, do I need to wait till August 2013 to apply for ANY AMEX credit card?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:01 am

"Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Hilton HHonors™ Card from American Express® account within the last 90 days. "

With life in general, the rules arent always in reality the same as they are written.

So if I have an active Amex Hilton HHonors card, opened for over a year, in order to get the bonus, I would have to cancel it first, wait 90 days, then reapply? Is that what the REALITY is for getting the bonus?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by flyertm
"Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Hilton HHonors™ Card from American Express® account within the last 90 days. "

With life in general, the rules arent always in reality the same as they are written.

So if I have an active Amex Hilton HHonors card, opened for over a year, in order to get the bonus, I would have to cancel it first, wait 90 days, then reapply? Is that what the REALITY is for getting the bonus?
I think those of us responding to this question are speculating. I got the 50k bonus on the standard card in Jan.

I just got a surpass card the other day with a 60k bonus. Once I get it and activate and meet spending, I will let you know. But, as I read the T&Cs, it should be good to go for the full 60k
Old Sep 24, 2012, 1:07 pm

This is a pretty standard bonus, right?

I'm curious because I'm tempted to add the surplus card to my card lineup, but I am at the end of the year and trying to ensure I make spending requirements to get the 15,000 MR bonus for my PRG card. Adding another $3,000 in spend over the next 3 months would make that pretty tight. If I can come back in December after I've hit my spend requirement for the year that would be much better.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:

I am confused by the above quote:

Early June 2012 - AMEX HH card (received bonus)
Late June 2012 - cancelled AMEX PRG card
August 2012- applied for AMEX SPG business card (received the 10k bonus already, waiting to meet the min spending)
Late August 2012 -cancelled AMEX Plat card and Delta Gold Skymiles card

According to T and C, should I have received the bonus for my SPG Biz Card?
Also, do I need to wait till August 2013 to apply for ANY AMEX credit card?
You should get the SPG Biz card bonus. The 12 months No same/similar card is for Individual card. Not for all AMEX cards in a lump. The T&Cs are very clear in that.

The one thing we are all waiting to see is, does AMEX consider Basic HHonor the same as Surpass HHonor in the nature of "similar:, In the past the data pts have been, no sign up bonus but you still get the spend bonus. Under the new T&Cs we do not know until someone who have tried this to report back.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:43 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by stupidzbu
Literally means if you applied for & received a surpass card in the last 12 months, you are SOL. It doesn't refer to closing your account IMHO
I have no opinion about what American Express meant, but this is what they wrote:
Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months
As written, the terms say nothing about applying, cancelling, or previous bonuses, only about "having" the card within the last 12 months. If the account is open you "have" it, if it is closed, or if you have not previously applied, you do not.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I have no opinion about what American Express meant, but this is what they wrote:

As written, the terms say nothing about applying, cancelling, or previous bonuses, only about "having" the card within the last 12 months. If the account is open you "have" it, if it is closed, or if you have not previously applied, you do not.
I had the regular card and then upgraded to the Surplus card a year ago. Can I now apply for the regular card again as it's been over a year?

I'm concerned about the clause that says "or any other consumer HH card from AMEX account within last 90 days. Would that mean the Surplus would have to be cancelled before applying and then I'd have to wait 90 days?

The clause is a little confusing to me. Sorry if this is redundant.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:06 am

Can someone clarify about gold status for the Surpass card? Would I get Hilton gold status the first year just for signing up for the Surpass, or would I have to spend $20k to get gold? It sounds like gold comes with Surpass, but the subtext says something about the $20k spend.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Can someone clarify about gold status for the Surpass card? Would I get Hilton gold status the first year just for signing up for the Surpass, or would I have to spend $20k to get gold? It sounds like gold comes with Surpass, but the subtext says something about the $20k spend.
I had the standard card and was HH silver

got approved for surpass and my HH says gold now. haven't even received the card yet to activate
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:50 am

Cool.

Anyway, I read on another forum/blog that some people "upgraded" their free basic HHonors Amex to the Surpass Amex and were able to get the 60K bonus/$3K spend for the Surpass in addition to the 50K bonus from the base HHonors card. On top of that, there was no credit pull. Anybody else have experience with this?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Isn't the AMEX HHonors a different card than the AMEX Surpass?

If so, and you haven't had the Surpass before, shouldn't you get the bonus miles?
They are different products, but the T&Cs above say:
Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Hilton HHonors™ Card from American Express® account within the last 90 days.
Seems pretty cut and dried that if you've had any Amex HHonors card in the last 90 days you're out of luck.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 1:06 pm

My IE says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" after i submitted the application. Ayone knows the phone number to call to check if my application has been approved or not? Thanks!

got approved message in my email.

Last edited by jjfly; Oct 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm
Old Oct 6, 2012, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by jjfly
My IE says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" after i submitted the application. Ayone knows the phone number to call to check if my application has been approved or not? Thanks!

got approved message in my email.
https://www.americanexpress.com/myappstatus is also a page to check application status/existence.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Cool.

Anyway, I read on another forum/blog that some people "upgraded" their free basic HHonors Amex to the Surpass Amex and were able to get the 60K bonus/$3K spend for the Surpass in addition to the 50K bonus from the base HHonors card. On top of that, there was no credit pull. Anybody else have experience with this?
I tried and was not able to. I dealt with Customer Service and New Accounts. Maybe I should try the retention department, but I'd love to hear from someone.

What blog was it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.