[EXPIRED] Earn up to 30,000 Starpoints [App must be APPROVED by 9.4.2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Earn up to 30,000 Starpoints [App must be APPROVED by 9.4.2012]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2012, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by wonderer
Thanks, found it. It is there for me only before I log in. Once I log in the "refer link" is nowhere I can see.

When I clicked on the refer link for the business card, and fill in my card information or login information, I keep getting the "We're sorry the system is not responding. Please try again later." I guess I will try in a few hours and see.
I ran into the same problem trying to refer a friend for a business card. After several tries over an 8 hour period, I called the customer service. The frontline gal in Philippines had not been trained enough about this 'referral business', so she got me her supervisor in the US. The supervisor contacted their IT in India, The guy was nice but could not figure out why it was not working for me. So, he escalated it to some higher up computer nerd by adding my CC number to an existing list of complainers, and told me that the problem will be taken care of within 72 hours.

Moral of the story: Others are having the same problem. Contact their IT guys and have your CC# added to the master list of complainers to get some attention.

BTW, the only way I can get to the desired page is through www.americanexpress.com/refer. I don't see it on my AMEX online account page or on spg home page or anywhere else. I did refer two people for the personal card. One of them has already made the first purchase and I got my 5K, the other one is waiting for the card to show up and I will get another 5K some time soon. Now only if the business referral process would work for me, I could snag another 10-15K.
-

Last edited by Slow_Mustang; Aug 18, 2012 at 1:14 am
Old Aug 18, 2012, 2:00 am

Programs: US Airways/SPG/Club Carlson (Gold)/United/Marriott Rewards Premier (Silver)/Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by thtsapaddlin
I want to say last year's requirement was $5k in 3 months because I remember struggling a bit to meet it.
Really holy crap so I guess 6 months is nothing then. lol
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:03 am

If I want to receive a referral to help my friend who has the SPG business card, can he refer me for the personal card?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Slow_Mustang
I ran into the same problem trying to refer a friend for a business card. After several tries over an 8 hour period, I called the customer service. The frontline gal in Philippines had not been trained enough about this 'referral business', so she got me her supervisor in the US. The supervisor contacted their IT in India, The guy was nice but could not figure out why it was not working for me. So, he escalated it to some higher up computer nerd by adding my CC number to an existing list of complainers, and told me that the problem will be taken care of within 72 hours.

Moral of the story: Others are having the same problem. Contact their IT guys and have your CC# added to the master list of complainers to get some attention.

BTW, the only way I can get to the desired page is through www.americanexpress.com/refer. I don't see it on my AMEX online account page or on spg home page or anywhere else. I did refer two people for the personal card. One of them has already made the first purchase and I got my 5K, the other one is waiting for the card to show up and I will get another 5K some time soon. Now only if the business referral process would work for me, I could snag another 10-15K.
-
Try deleting cookies.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
If I want to receive a referral to help my friend who has the SPG business card, can he refer me for the personal card?
Yes.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by wonderer
Wher in your SPG account do you see the option to refer??
Go to the Amex site and type 'refer a friend' in the search box on top right.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by metoo
Received SPG Biz card via expedited UPS service. It doesn't mention anything about receiving 20k points with 5k purchase within 6 months. It only mentioned receiving 10k points upon your lst purchase.

Is this what everyone sees in the package?
Call Amex to confirm promo details.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by teCh0010
Is this still alive? It just shows the 10k with first purchase when I click the link in the first post, nothing about the next 20k.
It's still alive, I just referred friends for this same offer this week.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 3:18 pm
Original Member

2nd personal card?

Last year I was able to apply for a second personal card and get the offer. Has anyone been able to get the points this year with a 2nd personal card. Can I refer myself for that second personal card for 5,000 more pts?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Just approved the other day

Been lurking here for a long time, decided to contribute. Awesome group of people, I owe a lot to everyone here. Finally pulled the trigger on the 30k SPG card - this is my first hotel card so I am excited.

To future posts!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by PointsNmiles
Finally pulled the trigger on the 30k SPG card - this is my first hotel card so I am excited.
You could have requested for a referral in this forum. That way you still get the 30K, but the person referring you could have also harnessed 5K.
-
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Slow_Mustang
You could have requested for a referral in this forum. That way you still get the 30K, but the person referring you could have also harnessed 5K.
-
Potentially true, but I'd love to hear from others who've referred people and never gotten the referral bonuses.

I have to chase down each and every one - usually requiring a lengthy back-and-forth with Amex and a few denials in the process.

Their referral system is really broken.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by raygromer
I have a SPG Business Amex card and would like to exchange referrals with someone who has a Personal SPG Amex. Is there a place that allows FTers to do referal exchanges?

And thanks for all the good info!

ray
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...t-1-first.html

Although you'll probably get a few PMs since you made the post here.

I'm hoping AMEX quickly fixes the referral process
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Speakada which -- how long is it taking for the referral bonuses to actually post? Anyone had theirs yet? Or is this a 6-8 week thing...?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:01 pm

few things...

OK, so probably nothing new here but here's a few tidbits that hopefully consolidate a few things.

1. got bus card about 4 days UPS from applying. I called every day to see if CS could add card to portfolio (so I could begin referrals for family). Thought they could at least "see" account. Kept being told "maybe tomorrow". Talked to new account as well to ask for expediting card, nothing there. So anyway, I don't think there's a way to expedite the card showing on the account ahead of getting the card, but at least the card came pretty fast.

2. surprised not more chatter about the possible 10k referral link. I went here as some suggested:

https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...alLandingB.jsp

Now, it clearly says 5k bonus on the landing page, but after logging in (at top) AND then hitting the referral button, it takes you to a second page to put in the names and e-mails and the fine print says 10k per referral AND the 10k/20k/5k/6 month terms as well! THIS is the page I saved and printed. At least on the business card (as expected, going to the personal which don't clearly have did not allow a referral option at all).

All the above occurred soon after activating the card and adding it to my AmEx profile, so there isn't a delay in being able to refer (though haven't gotten the referral e-mails yet.

So...the 10k I only found after going to the page above, logging in, and then hitting the refer button to come to the 2nd set of conflicting terms.

My guess is that AmEx screwed up on the 10k, but it's clear on the refer page, so I think they'll have a hard time not honoring it.

Again apologize if repeating same info, but there are a lot of different referral options/links being mentioned and I had to go back and read several posts and experiment to find the 10k option-- which worse case should be the standard 5k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.