Traveling beyond your means on miles and points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by spankytoes
I just tell people that I'm an international drug dealer. Much shorter explanation of how I can afford to do it so often. Plus, no one steals my food from the break room fridge.
Do you tell that to border control?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by Shimon
My episode of Locked Up Abroad is forthcoming.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: All of them

People definitely think I'm up to something super sketchy so I feel obligated to explain that I'm using points. They know how much I make so they know there's know way I could afford this kind of travel. I've offered numerous times to help other friends that travel how to play the points game, but it's like they're afraid of getting caught up in the Mafia or something. They literally back away from me when I mention credit cards.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: Several dozen
Perhaps you should play down the credit cards and just talk about the millions of dollars we move and the untaxable nature of our business.

Originally Posted by goAsia
People definitely think I'm up to something super sketchy so I feel obligated to explain that I'm using points. They know how much I make so they know there's know way I could afford this kind of travel. I've offered numerous times to help other friends that travel how to play the points game, but it's like they're afraid of getting caught up in the Mafia or something. They literally back away from me when I mention credit cards.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
You should offer an explanation that blends in with everybody else. Saying you sell drugs, even as a joke, is terrible. You stand to lose everything in the U.S. since under forfeiture law there is no obligation for the gov't to convict a person of a crime before seizing everything you own. Words out of your own mouth that you sell drugs sounds like probable cause to me.

In some situations, you will be repeatedly approached to loan money, get involved in real estate or business deals, etc. You should have a story ready that slides off the tongue such as, actually, it isn't a good time, as I just bought a house. Or, it isn't a good time, as I just had to put my mom in the nursing home. It's OK to lie to sales people, and once someone hits you up for money, they are not approaching you as a friend, they are approaching you as a salesperson. You don't owe the truth to everybody who walks up with their hand out.

As for your relatives, this is classic "crabs in a bucket" as friends and family may feel you're leaving them behind and they have an automatic instinct to pull you back. You have to have a story for them that is a polite denial of the loan but still doesn't worry them too much. My credit cards are maxed out, is probably the standard little white lie here...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tiki
Maybe I didn't phrase the idea very well. I am someone who is considered low income by Australian standards but because I am a dual citizen, I have a SSN, good Fico and can get USA credit cards. My friends and family see me and my husband taking off on fabulous trips to places like India, Cook Islands, Brazil and think I must have a secret trust fund someplace or huge bank account. Then when I say I can't do something or buy something because I can't afford it they think I am lying or a cheapskate or something. They don't get the idea of being cash poor but points rich.

So it's this falsely perceived idea that I am rich because I do trips that only people with high incomes can do which leads to awkward situations when they think I should be able to do other things that I would need cash for. Does that explain the concept better?
I expliain to freinds and family (to whatever degree they want to listen) stuff like "I flew here/there on miles, and there's no way I could afforded it if I didn't have those miles". That's easy for me with my family, because it's true in the case of visiting my relatives cross-country for Christmas, fares were $800++ roundrip when I snagged roundtrip seats in first class for same miles as "anytime" seats in coach. If I mentioned to them that cash fare was $800++ but that I had plenty of miles "which I had spent any morey to get, only changed how/where I spent the money I normally spend", that's usually enough for anyone to understand that I'm using "special tricks" that work for travel but don't necessarily work for everything else.

People at work, back when you could still apply for two Citi AA cards every other month and get 25k miles each time, I did a printout of an offer and gave it to a number of co-workers and explained that it's not one-time only. But none of them went for it. But that did stop the questions. (They then understood how it was possible to easily get lots of miles by just choosing what you do, not by spending money, but they didn't choose to do it.)

Same thing when I am overseas, vendors see us walk out of the Crowne Plaza or IC and jack up the prices because they think we are "rich" but they don't know that we booked those hotels on points and if it weren't for the points we would be in the local backpacker hostel.
This is a separate issue IMHO.

There's a much more common scenario for "backpackers" staying in luxury hotels, that has nothing do to points or miles, but I don't supposed it's available worldwide either: blind bidding sites (Priceline, etc). Within the US, way more people get into luxury hotels at budget hotel prices using blind bidding sites than do it with miles or points.

But I do have a suggestion for you if it hurts your image with vendors: Conserve your points, and "only" stay at the Holiday Inn or Express, rather than the Crowne Plaza or IC, if you're going to meet vendors at the hotel.

If you're going on vacation and no one you know will see you coming out of the hotel (or only friends/family who'll understand how you got there), who cares. But if you're going on work and then meeting people at the hotel, I'd say don't splurge unnecessarily even if you can afford to, and keep in mind there's a lot of points hotels well above "backpacker hostel" and but not so "smelling of luxury".

But what small talk do you start such a vendor meeting with? "I can't believe that I got a room here for the same price as a budget hotel." Use some local brand if it's well known. In Europe, I'd say "for the same price as an Ibis", and people would instantly understand. In the US, "for the same price as a Motel 6", and people woudl instantly understand. But I don't know what the Ibis / Motel 6 equivalent -- in terms of level and fame -- is in Australia or other places outside of US / Europe you might stay in.

People will understand a low price for a normally-high-priced hotel before they'll understand miles and points, and it's simpler to explain you found a great but unusual deal, especially when you can do it in one sentence like that, than to tell the full and real story.

(Remember the vendor doesn't meet your friends / family, or vice versa, so you don't need the same story for both. For a vendor, you need a one-sentence story you can throw into introductory small talk. For friends / family, you have a bit more time to explain. So tailor your explanation to the audience and the situation.)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just tell people that I'm an international drug dealer. Much shorter explanation of how I can afford to do it so often. Plus, no one steals my food from the break room fridge.
Originally Posted by Shimon
My episode of Locked Up Abroad is forthcoming.
No more LLL's for you!

Seriously, the trend in getting through airports faster is moving from being elite to allowing Customs and Border people to do a background check on you, in exchange for granting you the ability to move through stuff faster (Global Entry, PreCheck, etc). But "background check" could involve talking to one or more of those people you told that to! And if they believed it?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:25 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cbn42
Be careful... if they see you have lots of miles or points, they may hit you up for free flights and rooms.

"Wow, you travel for work and collect so many miles on so many airlines. You can't possibly use them all, so how about sharing some?"
pefect time to introduce someone to Flyertalk. Which I have done but sadly most never stay with the program and thus never acheive any significant mile/point totals.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Of all the offhanded and sarcastic comments I've made on FT, this is the last one I expected to need to explain is a complete and total joke. I explain miles/points and churning until their eyes glaze over and they are utterly confused. I usually lose them between "change checking accounts" and "cancel the credit card before the annual fee is assessed".

Last edited by spankytoes; Jul 31, 2012 at 12:52 pm
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Living on the East coast, & having 1K family that lives in Hawaii and pays for your flight out there multiple times a year quickly puts you into the game. With their advice + large mileage balance it is easy to get sucked in. I own zero mile credit cards, but take part in as many promotions/awesome deals& mileage runs. Oh not to mention Radisson's most recent promotion!!! Treated me very very well
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
When I talk about my upcoming trips, like the one to Brazil, I often find myself adding like a disclaimer or something--"Of course I got free flights on miles". There is no way someone of my income level could afford the kind of travel I do otherwise, especially in Australia where they don't have the mega credit card bonuses I can get as a US citizen with a good Fico. It's like I don't want people to think I am secretly wealthy (I am not) and try to hit me up for loans or something. And I don't want people who see us walking out of an IC or Westin (on points) to think I am one of those rich people who usually stay there.

Does anyone else do this? I mean "apologize" or add disclaimers when they talk about their travels?

There is no correlation to you using FF miles/points for a free flight and how wealthy you are.

You paying a full fare FC ticket would be a sign of your wealth.

Economically specaking...If you travel to far off non-western countries you are going to be perceived as being wealth just by being american/western.

Many of these foreign countries its very cheap to travel around...the iggest cost barrier is the airline cost.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:54 pm
inY

It's not just coworkers. The hotel concierge thinks I want to take a deluxe taxi to an expensive restaurant, when all I really want is directions to the metro and a nearby 7-11 with a bakery section. A hostel reception knows I want to travel cheaply and is often more helpful.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
Economically specaking...If you travel to far off non-western countries you are going to be perceived as being wealth just by being american/western.

Many of these foreign countries its very cheap to travel around...the iggest cost barrier is the airline cost.
Ding*Ding*Ding!

No one sees a family of 4 taking a trip to Disney for a week and says "wow" you guys are loaded. Even though 4 1-week Disney tickets =$1200

There's a misconception that foreign travel is expensive. Even if I didn't use miles, and flew coach it is pretty amazing to me that most areas of the globe can be reached on $1,000 and in under a day. Once you land everything costs less than half as much as it does stateside.

Just stop taking photos of the first class seats and meals and posting them on FB. No one even knows my wife and I fly business/first on our trips.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:08 pm

I would say 99% of the time when I travel I feel like I fit in to the environment.
Only once did I feel a tad out of place. My recent trip to Carmel, CA and staying at the Hyatt Highlands Hotel on my 2 free rooms from my Hyatt Credit Card. The hotel was nice, the views amazing but the rooms seemed a tad dated. Anyway it was mainly the required valet and the other hotel guests where I just felt a tad out of place. Seemed like VERY rich hotel guests. That was the only time it even crossed my mind.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA and HH
Originally Posted by inY
It's not just coworkers. The hotel concierge thinks I want to take a deluxe taxi to an expensive restaurant, when all I really want is directions to the metro and a nearby 7-11 with a bakery section. A hostel reception knows I want to travel cheaply and is often more helpful.
This is one of my biggest pet peeves and a reason why I don't like 5* hotels. I usually approach the concierge or front desk and ask for their suggestion on a low key (ie. hole in the wall) place where they would go with their friends or family for a normal meal, nothing fancy. It never fails, they always mention a restaurant in the hotel or something super expensive and act like they blow $50-$100/pp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.