Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account®. Net new assets are defined as an individual’s external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage® miles to be posted to your AAdvantage® account. Your Fidelity Account® must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage® miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by RLG
Not correct.

Customers of US brokerage firms are insured by the SIPC, not FDIC. SIPC insures brokerage accounts up to 500k, but not more than 250k of cash "awaiting investment". SIPC, like FDIC is a government sponsored entity which enjoys the "implied" backing of the US government.
I stand corrected, sorry for using the wrong acronym...same result though.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RLG
I don't understand this response.

If you already own stocks, bonds, or mutual funds you can transfer them into Fidelity and get the miles. There's absolutely no change in risk. Are there really that many FT'ers who have 100k in cash but own absolutely no stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc?
Folks may have brokerage accounts outside Fido and they prefer to keep their assets with their primary brokerage accounts?

There are plenty of FT folks have LIQUID assets that they are willing to park $200K to $400K at Bank Direct for the AA miles which fwiw, is a better deal than Fido when using cash as instrument. I am sure you know there is a BD thread in AA forum.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
I am sure you know there is a BD thread in AA forum.
what an absurd presumption. ....as it is a well known fact sort of thing. i do not read the AA thread, or any of the hotel threads. i read none of the airline threads either. in the second place, the AA program stinks. it is right up there with delta for lousy.(my wife and i are stuck with around 200k miles in each). i do need to renew my aa miles soon, so must find something to generate a mile or two.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:22 am

Another data point - I signed up for the UA promotion, opened a new account (already have a 401k) on July 14 and deposited $25k. 15k miles posted July 27.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki
what an absurd presumption. ....as it is a well known fact sort of thing. i do not read the AA thread, or any of the hotel threads. i read none of the airline threads either. in the second place, the AA program stinks. it is right up there with delta for lousy.(my wife and i are stuck with around 200k miles in each). i do need to renew my aa miles soon, so must find something to generate a mile or two.
Have you considered using your AA miles for hotels or car rentals? Good deal as long as you have a Citi AAdvantage card.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 5:45 pm

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points ONLY

So here is a curious situation. I did the Amex Membership rewards deal about a year ago and the Delta deal four months ago. All with legitimate cash deposits which were later invested in stocks.

I e-mailed them multiple times looking for my 50,000 miles and kept getting told to wait 8-10 weeks. At 12 weeks I hit them again and was then told I didn't qualify as it needs to be 12 months between promotions. I called in and sent follow-up notes expressing my displeasure and told them I felt lied too and was going to leave them. I transferred all my cash out but left about $150k in stocks as its more paperwork to move them which I haven't done yet.

So now 50,000 miles have hit as a 'customer service' entry. No communication from Fidelity to tell me they have done this. I'm glad they stepped up but as a card carrying member of the flyer talk community you know where my mind went next...

Can I do the Delta promotion now since its been12 months since the Amex one and I technically didn't get the Delta promo. I clearly won't call them or be upset if I don't get the miles but it seems worth a shot.

Any opinions ?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? Why would you even partake in Fidelity's airlines promo? If you are not interested in airline forums? Is this a bad joke or what?

With almost 8K posts since 2000 you do not read any of the airline / hotel thread? Why you are even on FT, as the site's forte is the various loyalty program's threads. Sure, it has Omni, Travel community and such - but there are many other sites offer similar or better source of information / discussion on those topics.

However there are very few true competitors for the airlines / hotels forum, including the MilePoint that is founded by the previous owner of FT.

On top of that, if you think you are stuck with 200K AA miles each without knowing how to use them, why would you get them at the first place? Have you done any homework before you set out to get your 200K x 2 AA miles?

Here are just some examples what you can do with AA miles:

135K AA miles get you round trip to HKG or SE Asia on CX First Class with AMPLE availability. CX F probably is one of the top 5 First Class products out there. Could cost you $10K+ to purchase the ticket fwiw.

United would want 140K for similar trip, but good luck in finding SQ F unless SQ has another IT glitch in the future.

150K AA miles get you travel 25K distance in business class. Did such a trip in 2009 routing MIA-LAX-AKL-SYD-SIN-KUL-HKG-TPE-ICN-KIX-CTS-NRT-SFO-LAS

Every single point is a stopover. Same ticket even travel in coach, if purchased, would cost several thousands. At the time we did the trip in 2009, the business class fare on such ticket with MORE restrictions, was $11K. You would not even have remotely comparable award with UA program.

Map here.

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=m...OR=&MAP-STYLE=

And you think AA miles are useless?

Even if you dont travel internationally, dont care for First Class flights, you can still use your AA miles for hotel and car rental, even vacation packages, albeit at a "value" that is much less than redeeming for premium cabin long haul international flights on partner airlines.

There is no way one would be "stuck" with 200K x 2 AA miles and not knowing how to use them, except for pure lack of knowledge, to say it mildly.

People in CC forum are willing to "pay" for AA miles at the value of 0.015 a mile while only 0.008 for DL based on posts Want / Have... I guess you have no idea CC forum exists on FT site either?

May be it is time for you to saunter to individual loyalty program forums and a few other forums to learn a few things. @:-)

Last edited by Happy; Aug 1, 2012 at 6:10 pm
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta
So here is a curious situation. I did the Amex Membership rewards deal about a year ago and the Delta deal four months ago. All with legitimate cash deposits which were later invested in stocks.

I e-mailed them multiple times looking for my 50,000 miles and kept getting told to wait 8-10 weeks. At 12 weeks I hit them again and was then told I didn't qualify as it needs to be 12 months between promotions. I called in and sent follow-up notes expressing my displeasure and told them I felt lied too and was going to leave them. I transferred all my cash out but left about $150k in stocks as its more paperwork to move them which I haven't done yet.

So now 50,000 miles have hit as a 'customer service' entry. No communication from Fidelity to tell me they have done this. I'm glad they stepped up but as a card carrying member of the flyer talk community you know where my mind went next...

Can I do the Delta promotion now since its been12 months since the Amex one and I technically didn't get the Delta promo. I clearly won't call them or be upset if I don't get the miles but it seems worth a shot.

Any opinions ?
My gut feeling is you do need to wait 12 months from the "customer service" 50K which while it is not named as the promo you sign up, it is truly in lieu of what it should have been though you were not entitled because there was not a full 12 months passed before you sign up for the DL.

You can certainly push your envelope to the max but do you really want to do so? unless you plan to either get the promo or else you leave Fido for good...
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
My gut feeling is you do need to wait 12 months from the "customer service" 50K which while it is not named as the promo you sign up, it is truly in lieu of what it should have been though you were not entitled because there was not a full 12 months passed before you sign up for the DL.

You can certainly push your envelope to the max but do you really want to do so? unless you plan to either get the promo or else you leave Fido for good...
No doubt that I 'should' have to wait 12 months from the date of this 50,000 credit. But as Alohadavekennedy often points out, poor internal controls need to be tested.

I would not be upset if this batch of 50,000 didn't hit. The last batch was different (from my perspective at least) since they targeted me for the offer and the targeted offer didn't mention a 12 month wait. PLUS i sent a SM confirming it was legit.

My question really boils down to wondering how they track these since it was done under CS rather than Delta-Promo.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:06 am

Currently...

So is the current Status Quo with the Fido Promotion for First Time Account Holders who have yet to make a deposit (actually I deposited $100) that we're best off depositing the entire $100,000 at once, and that it needs to sit there for 6 months in order to get the miles posted? And this posting is automatic - you don't need to call to ask them about it. And while it may post far before 6 months, if you withdraw the money once the miles have posted, you risk claw back of the miles (which nobody has reported yet, but may happen). Yes?

Also, is there rough period of time peopel are reporting on receiving the miles in after reaching the $100k threashold?.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:36 am

Programs: many
I think you have two wise choices.

1. Send your worthless AA miles to me.
2. Audience Rewards

Clearly, the first choice is the wisest. ^

Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta
No doubt that I 'should' have to wait 12 months from the date of this 50,000 credit. But as Alohadavekennedy often points out, poor internal controls need to be tested.

I would not be upset if this batch of 50,000 didn't hit. The last batch was different (from my perspective at least) since they targeted me for the offer and the targeted offer didn't mention a 12 month wait. PLUS i sent a SM confirming it was legit.

My question really boils down to wondering how they track these since it was done under CS rather than Delta-Promo.
They do. The CS wouldn't give you the adjustment had it not been approved by the dept controls the dough. They have to account for it from somewhere - the miles do not come from thin air.

Based on recent data points, all the enrollments are based on human review - the early applicants got away with previous double dips, but those who tried since a month or so ago, did NOT get away from previous double dips - all being told they had gotten multiple promos in previous period so they would have to sit out for another 12 months...

No harm to try though, but may be getting an approval first before you send in the money so if it is denied you save the trouble of sending in the new funds.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:47 pm

Another data point: Failed Story

Got the promo last yr (> 12 months since AA miles posted)
Signed up mid july- got email saying i was ineligible. called in and had a rep override it and say ok i am eligible
Deposited $100K. called in today to ask about miles and they said i was not eligible b/c i didnt leave my funds in there long enough last time)

Oh well, win some/lose some
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jh811
Another data point: Failed Story

Got the promo last yr (> 12 months since AA miles posted)
Signed up mid july- got email saying i was ineligible. called in and had a rep override it and say ok i am eligible
Deposited $100K. called in today to ask about miles and they said i was not eligible b/c i didnt leave my funds in there long enough last time)

Oh well, win some/lose some
Just to be clear, when you called, you said had the funds in for this second attempt?

If so, that means that their first override really was meaningless, which is a troubling data point.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:52 pm

Yes i had deposited $100K a few weeks ago for this go around but the reason i do not qualify this year was b/c i pulled my cashout early LAST YEAR when i received the AA bonus. And yes, it seems the first override was meaningless...

Originally Posted by josephstern
Just to be clear, when you called, you said had the funds in for this second attempt?

If so, that means that their first override really was meaningless, which is a troubling data point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.