Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account®. Net new assets are defined as an individual’s external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage® miles to be posted to your AAdvantage® account. Your Fidelity Account® must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage® miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:16 pm

a failure after a success

OK, here are recent experiences for Person A and B in my family. Both A & B: a) got two sets of miles last year, b) churned, and c) didn't keep the money in.

Person A signed up about 8 weeks ago, about 54 weeks after last receiving miles. Got the ding e-mail. Called, got the override, after about 10 minutes of holding. Moved the full $100k. Waited weeks. Had to call a couple times, then finally told miles were manually pushed and got them.

Person B signed up earlier this month after about 57 weeks from last miles. Got the ding e-mail. Because of previous postings and thinking it'd be a one-stop call (to get approval and miles sent), moved $100k in before calling.

Person B got entry-level person who apologized and placed on hold. Comes back saying back office said no because got two sets of miles last time and didn't hold the money. B says wasn't sure got miles and this was over 12 months ago. Put on hold again, then told the person that needed to review was out and to call back tomorrow. B calls next day. Entry-level person says sorry, but researched and confirmed that airlines did accept miles. Told sorry, but can't do anything, even after threat to remove the $100k with Fido.

So.. a couple of factual observations:

1) To date, I don't think anyone has gotten another set without first getting the ding letter, even after waiting the 12 months. Perhaps waiting longer than 13 months would work, but it appears everything is getting manually reviewed closely.

2) The manual review is either hit-or-miss, or they are now getting more strict. Part of why I think they MAY have just gotten more strict is that Person A had several people check on miles but nobody raised a red flag-- Person B got nailed immediately.

3) It appears there is a specialized department that reviews, so dial-a-prayer with standard CSRs doesn't help.

4) Fido has pretty good past history records.

5) Fido from other posts and this experience may be taking a middle-of-the-road approach: denying new sign-up(*) if not funding 6 months but not planning a claw-back. Past sins from last year may not be forgiven this year even if you want to make amends!

6) Funding the account with the funds before calling and using that as leverage by threatening a pull-out didn't work, so wouldn't necessarily fund before calling.

Good luck to others.

(*) I am curious-- is Fido's denial of THIS bonus legal, even if not fulfilling terms of previous offer? I see nothing in the language that gives them vague powers to deny. I could see them saying "call back in 6 months" or clawing back previous miles (one reason I'm just curious than wanting to fight them), but I don't see where they can just say to pound sand if it's after 12 months and you choose to fulfill this offer's terms.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Hi all-

Just wondering if any of you have closed your account after receiving your miles (6 months later or whatever) and have subsequently gotten hit with an account closing fee. I transferred some stock to Fidelity in order to get my 50K UA miles and want to eventually transfer back out so my wife can use the stock to get her 50k, too. Just wondering if I'm in for a $XXX closing fee.

Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 9:16 am

Data point:

$100k transferred on July 12th. I had received an email notification of Not Eligible. Called on July 17th for manual injection of United 50K miles offer. Originally took advantage of the same offer 13 months ago (June 2011). The United miles (50k) posted on July 23rd. Now will do it again in Aug. 2013 if it's still available!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:42 am

key question: did you hold the money in for 6 months last year?

Originally Posted by snshahmd
Data point:

$100k transferred on July 12th. I had received an email notification of Not Eligible. Called on July 17th for manual injection of United 50K miles offer. Originally took advantage of the same offer 13 months ago (June 2011). The United miles (50k) posted on July 23rd. Now will do it again in Aug. 2013 if it's still available!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:47 am

Why close the account? You can keep $1 in for no fee. I wouldn't worry about clawback, but seems easier to just keep a nominal fee and not have someone review.

Originally Posted by bchips
Hi all-

Just wondering if any of you have closed your account after receiving your miles (6 months later or whatever) and have subsequently gotten hit with an account closing fee. I transferred some stock to Fidelity in order to get my 50K UA miles and want to eventually transfer back out so my wife can use the stock to get her 50k, too. Just wondering if I'm in for a $XXX closing fee.

Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bchips
Hi all-

Thanks!
If you really want to close the account, transfer out all the equities, but use ACH to withdraw the remaining cash.

Though given the rolling 12 months rule, there is no benefit to gain for canceling account.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:20 am

I did keep the money for about 3 months and started taking out gradually. I did triple dip last year though, with AA, Delta and Amex MR points. Not planning more than once this year. I never closed my account with Fidelity, always kept about 5K.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snshahmd
I did keep the money for about 3 months and started taking out gradually. I did triple dip last year though, with AA, Delta and Amex MR points. Not planning more than once this year. I never closed my account with Fidelity, always kept about 5K.
It would be very interesting data when and if you decide to do it again after your 12 months are up - because the data points so far have been that it is not an automatic process, virtually everyone signed up under the new term of existing customers, had to go thru manual process - the early adopters were able to get away with the previous double/triple dips, the recent data showed that previous double-dippers were summarily denied citing they already got twice than they should have in the past. My guess is, either Fido has tightened the verification process, or again it depends on how diligent the person who verifies the application is - i.e. a crap shoot largely based on your luck.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:15 am

My husband and I have a jointed account. I deposited $100k on 7/10 and received 15,000 miles instead of 50,000 on 7/20. Just called FIDO to ask why. They said give it 4 more weeks. Has anyone experienced this partial miles?

I also asked FIDO if my husband also deposited $100k, would he be able to get 50,000 miles as well. FIDO said NO since it is a joined account with same address. I asked what if my husband opens a new account with different address. He said you could try but no guarantee. So, should my husband go for it? Thanks!!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
Originally Posted by lw7878
My husband and I have a jointed account. I deposited $100k on 7/10 and received 15,000 miles instead of 50,000 on 7/20. Just called FIDO to ask why. They said give it 4 more weeks. Has anyone experienced this partial miles?

I also asked FIDO if my husband also deposited $100k, would he be able to get 50,000 miles as well. FIDO said NO since it is a joined account with same address. I asked what if my husband opens a new account with different address. He said you could try but no guarantee. So, should my husband go for it? Thanks!!
Yes. I have joint account with wife. She also has her own account. Fido would not let us put $200K into joint account and each get 50K United miles. We had to put 100K into joint account and $100k into her account. We also got some free trades for trouble.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lw7878

Originally Posted by kayjay
Yes. I have joint account with wife. She also has her own account. Fido would not let us put $200K into joint account and each get 50K United miles. We had to put 100K into joint account and $100k into her account. We also got some free trades for trouble.
Didn't someone posted upthread that they had a JT account and they put in 200K and each owner got the 50K? The poster called FIDO to get an OK first before they transferred the funds.

This inconsistency in handling is very annoying and does not enhance Fido's image.

Below are posted in late June:

Originally Posted by liw5215
wife and I both signed up with United Promo on 5/22 using one joint account. moved the required funds on 5/24. Wife got the miles on 6/8, and I got it on 6/15.
Before I did that, I have called Fidelity to verify that we can do it using one single joint account. We moved 2X$100K into the joint account.
no error messages.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 24, 2012 at 3:04 pm
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:50 pm

I do recall reading liw52125's comment about both husband and wife earning 50k miles each with JT account. That was why I called at the first place. I wanted to confirm before making the move.

Tonight I called Fido AGAIN to see if they would give different answers. Well, sure enough! This time they said my husband would be able to earn his 50k AA miles once he deposited his $100k to our JT. This rep said he was positive about this and said the program uses SSN instead of address. He also said I should be able to get the rest of the 50k AA miles in the next a few weeks. For sure, we'll not deposit another $100k unless they give me the entire 50k miles. I want to follow their rules but won't it be great if their answers can be consistent?!

Last edited by lw7878; Jul 24, 2012 at 7:55 pm Reason: Correction. I applied for the AA instead of the UA version.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
The miles are a nice bonus, but what rate are they currently paying?

Edit - I just looked at their website. It might be cheaper to keep my $$ under the mattress.

Last edited by dhammer53; Jul 24, 2012 at 8:59 pm
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhammer53
The miles are a nice bonus, but what rate are they currently paying?
Next to nothing.

People do this are definitely not for the interest earning. If you want cash interest earning this is definitely not for you.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if i pick up 100k of assets and transfer them to fidelity, then leave them for 6.01 months, then move the assets, do i get 50K UA miles or not.

is there a better single mileage deal out there?

i do not plan to play apple, or anything else. i have a few 100K-30 year bonds. they are priced at 101, so that gives them a portfolio value of 101K. will that qualify?

i am certain the answer is somewhere in the 30 pages of posts of people trying to double dip and triple dip. i would just like to move the bonds from etrade to fidelity, and get 100k(his and hers).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.