Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account®. Net new assets are defined as an individual’s external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage® miles to be posted to your AAdvantage® account. Your Fidelity Account® must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage® miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by kayjay
Luck of the draw. I optedinto United progam for wife and myself. Miles posted within 2 weeks. Fidelity does suffer from inefficiencies when things do not go right the first time around.
i think it really was luck of the draw because i remember getting the bonus years ago super quickly and without any hassle. and the sad thing is it's a private client thingamagig account so a few of the reps were more than enthusiastic about selling their many products/features and i was even told someone in promotion would keep an eye out to make sure the acct was properly credited, and still nothing happened without the phone calls (supposedly AA rejected the miles at one point and i don't think anyone would have tried to resubmit the request if i hadn't kept pestering them ). we'll see how things go for round 2 which is currently in progress
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by djflier
Good point. I will call next week to find out and report back. When I setup my wife's account there was a technical hitch with the login. I called to sort it out but they would only talk to her and not me unless she signed some sort of power of attorney.

I guess as long as you can setup the accounts online you can just take full control of the account and transfer money in and out etc. The only thing that may screw it up is their dates of birth may flag the enrollment. They have a social security number so that's the main thing.

The bigger issue could be if there is a similar technical problem as I had with my wife's account and they want to talk to the applicant/baby all they will get is "goo goo gah gah" so could be an issue....

Cheers
DJ
The bigger issue is a gift tax issue. When you open an account in their name and transfer the money, the money is theirs. There is a limit to how much you can give to each child per year, without having to file forms with the IRS. That limit is $13k lsat time I checked (Note, it's per person-person pair. So you can give child 1 $13k, and so can your spouse. And you both can give child 2 $13k, And Grandma can give both $13k, etc...)

As long as you would only be giving them $100k each (and you haven't done anything like this before) you wouldn't pay taxes now. But it would reduce the amount of your estate that would be free from estate taxes.

The second thing is that once you give them the money, it is theirs. You can take it back. They can do as they please with it. In a custodial account you can control it, but you have to use it for their benefit. (Though, there is no reason they can't pay for their food, day care, schooling, etc...). Plus, assets in their names will affect their ability to get financial aid for college much more than the same assets in your name. (Although, I'm guessing if you have $200k to move around for this, that might not be a big concern).

Finally, at least the Delta terms explicitly exclude custodial accounts.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Rejected for the UA offer

I just received an e-mail that I am ineligible for the UA mileage offer and when I called to find out why I was told by a CSR that I have been flagged in the Fidelity system as having abused the system in the past (?) by not holding the money for six months or longer (I don't believe the T&Cs said that in the past). I did withdraw the money after I received the miles which was less than six months. I did receive 50K AA miles and 50K Delta miles back in April of 2011. I was told that "at this time you are not eligible and I cannot speak for whether or not you will be eligible for any future offers." Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have the screen shot from the offer from last year? I think the offer only recently began to say that you have to hold the money for six months or more.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"by not holding the money for six months or longer" i put 100k each in wife and my acct. had contact with at least 3 people, and all were most amendment that the 100 k had to stay in for 6 months. i used securities, and they were clear that if the value of either set dropped below 100k, there would be repercussions.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by slawecki
"by not holding the money for six months or longer" i put 100k each in wife and my acct. had contact with at least 3 people, and all were most amendment that the 100 k had to stay in for 6 months. i used securities, and they were clear that if the value of either set dropped below 100k, there would be repercussions.
So if I throw in in 100K and make a bad trade (which is highly probable) I lose the miles?

TIA

__________________________________________________ _____

It cant be a midlife crisis.........I'm not gonna make it to be 110!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ceres
So if I throw in in 100K and make a bad trade (which is highly probable) I lose the miles?

TIA

__________________________________________________ _____

It cant be a midlife crisis.........I'm not gonna make it to be 110!
i cannot say what fido does. i only tell you what they told me. my securities are pretty pedestrian municipal bond funds, so i do not much worry about them shrinking. i'm now two months in the program, and burned the miles on tickets to france.

i just wonder when i can go around again. sounds like some who fudged the money or the time got booted out.

i recently had a credit rating pulled for me. they found a chase bank, a home loan, and a schwab account that were all from over 30 years ago. so, they can keep track. they had my amex payments by the month for 20 years.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by slawecki
I assume by the word "amendment" you mean "adamant"?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by vdostoi1
I just received an e-mail that I am ineligible for the UA mileage offer and when I called to find out why I was told by a CSR that I have been flagged in the Fidelity system as having abused the system in the past (?) by not holding the money for six months or longer (I don't believe the T&Cs said that in the past). I did withdraw the money after I received the miles which was less than six months. I did receive 50K AA miles and 50K Delta miles back in April of 2011. I was told that "at this time you are not eligible and I cannot speak for whether or not you will be eligible for any future offers." Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have the screen shot from the offer from last year? I think the offer only recently began to say that you have to hold the money for six months or more.
Update: just chatted with a rep over instant chat who confirmed that if I make the required deposit I will get the miles (I did save the chat log) but would need to call 10 days after I will have completed my last deposit so that the system can be manually overridden. Will make a $100K deposit, wait 10 days and will see what happens and report here.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume by the word "amendment" you mean "adamant"?
did not pay attention to spell check
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for miles to be credited to your SkyMiles account. Your Fidelity account must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.
In the past these offers have included a statement to the effect of trading losses not being considered as lowering the amount of the qualifying funding. That wording isn’t included now. I would call for clarification.

… just chatted with a rep … but would need to call 10 days after I will have completed my last deposit so that the system can be manually overridden.
Datapoint: I recently chatted, several times, with my local rep about the Delta offer, specifically asking if transferred funding amounts significantly greater than the maximum on the webpage offer could receive higher mile amounts. The answer to that was “no”, they could offer free trades and/or cash bonus. I also asked if I was eligible as I had received the Delta promotion 14 months prior and another promotion 12 months prior and I wanted to clarify “once per lifetime” (old wording) vs “once per rolling 12 months” (current wording). He told me I was eligible but it would have to be done manually. I also called the 1-800# for further confirmation, was told the same thing. I transferred a long held stock position. Called 1-800 again to confirm and inform them of the transfer, was told it would be 4-6 weeks for miles to post. I then received a call the next day telling me that the miles would post within a week. Miles actually posted 2 days later. My point is that calls ahead of time, and manual processing, may well speed the posting of miles to a FF account.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
In the past these offers have included a statement to the effect of trading losses not being considered as lowering the amount of the qualifying funding. That wording isn’t included now. I would call for clarification.

Datapoint: I recently chatted, several times, with my local rep about the Delta offer, specifically asking if transferred funding amounts significantly greater than the maximum on the webpage offer could receive higher mile amounts. The answer to that was “no”, they could offer free trades and/or cash bonus. I also asked if I was eligible as I had received the Delta promotion 14 months prior and another promotion 12 months prior and I wanted to clarify “once per lifetime” (old wording) vs “once per rolling 12 months” (current wording). He told me I was eligible but it would have to be done manually. I also called the 1-800# for further confirmation, was told the same thing. I transferred a long held stock position. Called 1-800 again to confirm and inform them of the transfer, was told it would be 4-6 weeks for miles to post. I then received a call the next day telling me that the miles would post within a week. Miles actually posted 2 days later. My point is that calls ahead of time, and manual processing, may well speed the posting of miles to a FF account.
Right. But if you read my earlier post, I was told that I would not be receiving the miles at all since during a previous promotion I did not keep the money in the account for 6 months or longer and was told that I am "taking advantage of the system". So I am not questioning the timing of the mileage deposit. I am commenting on the fact that I was told I am not eligible for the promotion at all given that I did not meet the terms of the promotion the last time around and am seeking to see if anyone has had a similar experience and if they were able to somehow overcome it.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
I'm pretty sure the six month requirement was in place in that time period last year.

I'm in a similar position with respect to having received AA and Delta bonuses last spring without keeping most of the new deposit in Fido for six months, but I am a long term Fido customer with just over 100K in assets between my IRA and brokerage accounts, and my 401K account also is there.

I recently applied for the UA offer and got the "not eligible" email (which seems pretty automatic if you received any bonuses in the past). My call with the CSR went better than yours. I have no idea if this is due in part to my history with Fido outside the miles promo or what. He gave what I believe to be an incorrect reason for my receiving the "ding" email (the deposit not being there yet), but he checked my account and checked with someone in the "back office" and indicated that he would annotate my account, and that after I transfer $ to Fido, that I should call him back so he could manually request the miles.

He was pretty interested in finding out out how I was going to invest the 100K and getting me connected to an investment adviser.

Update: just chatted with a rep over instant chat who confirmed that if I make the required deposit I will get the miles (I did save the chat log) but would need to call 10 days after I will have completed my last deposit so that the system can be manually overridden. Will make a $100K deposit, wait 10 days and will see what happens and report here.
I wonder why they told you to wait 10 days after your deposit posts to call about the override.

Hope this works out for both of us!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by needtoescape
I recently applied for the UA offer and got the "not eligible" email (which seems pretty automatic if you received any bonuses in the past). My call with the CSR went better than yours. I have no idea if this is due in part to my history with Fido outside the miles promo or what. He gave what I believe to be an incorrect reason for my receiving the "ding" email (the deposit not being there yet), but he checked my account and checked with someone in the "back office" and indicated that he would annotate my account, and that after I transfer $ to Fido, that I should call him back so he could manually request the miles.

He was pretty interested in finding out out how I was going to invest the 100K and getting me connected to an investment adviser.
sister got the same ineligible email for supposedly getting a promotion back in 2004? was reassured miles would be credited once transfer was done and asked to call back once transfer was complete. representative was also v curious about how the funds would be invested and offered to connect her to an investment advisor.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by needtoescape
I'm pretty sure the six month requirement was in place in that time period last year.

I'm in a similar position with respect to having received AA and Delta bonuses last spring without keeping most of the new deposit in Fido for six months, but I am a long term Fido customer with just over 100K in assets between my IRA and brokerage accounts, and my 401K account also is there.

I wonder why they told you to wait 10 days after your deposit posts to call about the override.

Hope this works out for both of us!
Unlike you, I don't have a long history with FIDO but I do have my 401(k) with them. In any case, I will fund my investment account and see what happens.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott rewards, United, AA, Delta
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I just signed up for my new fidelity account today. I sent an opening deposit of $1000 just to get the timelines started. Looks like I have to wait about a week to send a substantial amount of $$$ over. From reading upthread, it looks like my 6 month and 12 month periods both start today. Is that right?
Then, it seems that Fidelity does not wait for the six month marker to actually post the miles to a FF account. Most people are reporting this at about the 2 week marker. I did not see anything on the pages that I read about "clawing back" the miles... in other words, it appears that once the miles have posted in the FF account, monies can be withdrawn from the Fidelity account prior to the 6 month mark. Am I right so far?

Also, FYI, the AA promo has been extended to 3/31/13. Didn't check the other airlines.
The way I read it your time starts when you do the first deposit, yes. Both for the 6 month and the 12 month. They may see that so many people are not leaving the money in for the 6 month time period and begin to post miles after 6 months and not two weeks. Good to know about the AA extension cause that is what I am going for. I moved some out about 2 months ago and am waiting to sign up for the offer and move that plus more back in. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.