Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TD Ameritrade New Account Opening Bonuses-Airlines & Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Sigh, I slacked of last year and opened my wife's account only in June, when I could have done it much earlier. If I had done it a few days earlier, I would have got the offer that expired in Feb. Oh well, you snooze you lose.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by JATR4
Transferred 100K of my wife's rollover IRA to TD. as soon as the rollover transfer was complete she received the $300 promotion.

An easy $300.
- minus 15% or so in taxes
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by pcharles
Don't think there will be any taxes until withdrawn. Wasn't making minimal money in the prior account and can trade, etc. in the TD account if desired.

Seemed like an easy way to get $300 or so.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:41 pm

Don't think there will be any taxes until withdrawn. Wasn't making minimal money in the prior account and can trade, etc. in the TD account if desired.

Seemed like an easy way to get $300 or so.
Don't think so, in the year they give out the $300, will most likely receive a 1099 which is taxable on that year regardless of whether you withdraw the money or leave in acct.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by sharka
Don't think so, in the year they give out the $300, will most likely receive a 1099 which is taxable on that year regardless of whether you withdraw the money or leave in acct.
Money went directly into the IRA. Will be taxable--possibly--when withdrawn. Shouldn't be taxable both ways.

I don't expect a 1099.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Damn it I've been meaning to do the 25k spg for a while but didn't want to rollover from vanguard. Been lazy about investing lately and have 30k wasting away in checking account that I was going to move tonight.

Just wanted to publicly share my stupidity.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by stallion114
Damn it I've been meaning to do the 25k spg for a while but didn't want to rollover from vanguard. Been lazy about investing lately and have 30k wasting away in checking account that I was going to move tonight.

Welcome to the club.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcharles
Money went directly into the IRA. Will be taxable--possibly--when withdrawn. Shouldn't be taxable both ways.

I don't expect a 1099.
It is treated as a contribution to the IRA. You will receive the IRA contribution form next year to show $300 is contributed. Be sure to include the $300 into the calculation of TOTAL contribution and dont over-contribute when you make your own contribution
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold,IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
It is treated as a contribution to the IRA. You will receive the IRA contribution form next year to show $300 is contributed. Be sure to include the $300 into the calculation of TOTAL contribution and dont over-contribute when you make your own contribution
TOTALLY WRONG ASSUMPTION!

Speak to someone at OptionsHouse, E*Trade, Merrill Edge, TD Ameritrade, or Charles Schwab who have been offering Rollover or Transfer IRA Bonuses up to $600 & have them explain the details. TD Ameritrade describes the "bonus" as a payment INSIDE the retirement account. You can't receive anything outside the retirement account such as iPod or air miles or cash. You do not receive a 1099 nor is the bonus funds treated as a contribution. TD America rep said there firm has been able to offer a bonus for rollover or transfer IRA he thought 5 or 6 years which would suggest something changed during the Bush administration.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by stallion114

Don't worry. You are not the only one . I also meant to do the SPG promo as they are so hard to get these days. Have been chasing other things hoping this will be there. Well it is gone for now but hopefully will come back in some form.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Yeah I put off the SPG to do Fidelity first. I'm pretty sure this won't come back anymore but I hope TD Am. proves me wrong!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by tropicalmn
TOTALLY WRONG ASSUMPTION!

Speak to someone at OptionsHouse, E*Trade, Merrill Edge, TD Ameritrade, or Charles Schwab who have been offering Rollover or Transfer IRA Bonuses up to $600 & have them explain the details. TD Ameritrade describes the "bonus" as a payment INSIDE the retirement account. You can't receive anything outside the retirement account such as iPod or air miles or cash. You do not receive a 1099 nor is the bonus funds treated as a contribution. TD America rep said there firm has been able to offer a bonus for rollover or transfer IRA he thought 5 or 6 years which would suggest something changed during the Bush administration.
I agree with you assessment of the situation. The $300 is listed as a "rebate" on the account. I think it is similar to interest earned in the IRA.

TD is required to file a form 5498 with the IRS for each IRA with an information statement to the participant by Jan 31. The form 5498 isn't due until May 31 so the participant gets notified first. That would seem to allow time for corrections, if any.

The 1099-R is used to report distributions not contributions.

If Happy were right and the $300 was a contribution, it would be an "excess contribution" since my wife has no earned income. My wife would be allowed to withdraw the excess contribution tax-free.

She may not have to pay any tax on withdrawal if I am no longer alive. She could withdraw up to the (standard deduction + exemption - interest, etc.) without incurring any tax liability. Based on a FIFO evaluation I suspect that this $300 will at some point be tax-free.

Last edited by JATR4; Mar 21, 2012 at 10:50 am Reason: Added info
Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by blackmamba
Yeah I put off the SPG to do Fidelity first. I'm pretty sure this won't come back anymore but I hope TD Am. proves me wrong!
My broker at TD said that the company will no longer offer any more miles with any programs in the future. (at least for the next year or more as far as he can tell).
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: I was loyal to One Pass & Star Alliance before FT ... now I value all miles and programs
My broker at TD said that the company will no longer offer any more miles with any programs in the future. (at least for the next year or more as far as he can tell).
Darn - I was really hoping to take advantage of this...
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:42 am

Yet the AA offer is still currently valid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.