Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Friend travels, not interested in miles. But I am!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Hey traveller,

I wonder.
A friend from NYC will visit me the beginning of next year in Holland.
He flies Iceland Air. Both ways.
He doesn't care about miles, but I do.

I have never flown with Iceland Air and I am not sure I ever will. But I want the miles.

I was thinking setting up an account under my name and that my friend can use my account number for his booking.

Would that work?

Does anyone have an idea how I can spent those new miles? Hotel program?
Airline program?
I looked around but didn't really see partners.
I am a UA flyer, but have miles at different airlines (f.e. Jet Airways, Lufthansa, Hawaiian).

Looking forward to your reply.

K
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:05 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
They need to be in his name. Sadly, the days of flying under other people's names are long gone.

There are abilities to transfer miles, etc., depending upon the program.

P.S. - Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:26 am

Programs: Too many
Here are partners you can use if flying with them to earn miles

Air Iceland
Saga Shop
Hilton Honors
Icelandair Hotels and Hotel Edda
Park Plaza Hotels & Resorts
Radisson Blu & Park Inn Hotels
Radisson Edwardian London
Radisson Hotels & Resorts
Sixt
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Only if you have the exact same name would this potenitally work..I have seen stories on here about father/son with same exact name and they will fly under the same ff mileage account. I am not sure how plausible this even is today now that TSA requires birthdate on the ticketing info.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
If the person truly has no interest you can always open the account in his name. You can "manage" his account but legally the miles would belong to him. As long as there are enough miles to do something with you could use them however you and he chose. If he wants to give them to you then great.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:35 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
kayzie, welcome to FlyerTalk!

As this concerns mileage earning and use, I'll move the thread to the MilesBuzz forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
You can "manage" his account but legally the miles would belong to him.
Actually, pretty much every airline claims the miles belong to them.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Actually, pretty much every airline claims the miles belong to them.
And they make us "work" for it. That is the irony.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:20 am

They are called butt-in-seat miles because the person whose butt is in the seat earns the miles (and because they are earned by flying instead of using credit cards). Miles usually can't be transferred without a fee. You'd have to discuss with your friend whether he would let you use a frequent flyer account in his name; a person who doesn't want to be bothered with earning miles would probably need help earning and managing miles, it might be too much hassle to enter an FF# on reservations for him.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:36 am
Original Poster

I think I get the message.
I will ask if I can set up an account under his name and just "manage" his account. I am going to check the fee for transferring it to my account and see if it makes sense.
Probably they will make it not worthwile.
Thanks for thinking with me!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:22 am

Being the "manager" of his account would be the easiest thing to do. Then you could just book an award in your name. You wouldn't be able to add points to that account, only he could. It might be worth it.

I would check what fare class your friend is booking into. Iceland Air does transfer to Hilton at a 1:1 ratio.

Unless they travel on Iceland Air a lot, or enough to redeem an award, it may not be worth it.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by thetravelabstract
Being the "manager" of his account would be the easiest thing to do. Then you could just book an award in your name. You wouldn't be able to add points to that account, only he could. It might be worth it.

I would check what fare class your friend is booking into. Iceland Air does transfer to Hilton at a 1:1 ratio.

Unless they travel on Iceland Air a lot, or enough to redeem an award, it may not be worth it.
This seems to make the most sense. Then just transfer miles to Hilton or use them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.