Reload this Page >

500,000 Points in a single churn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

500,000 Points in a single churn

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:44 pm

I was just thinking about you this week and wondering how you were doing on the minimum spends? I don't recall what the overall spend was in 6 mos, but I remember it was a lot!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TimesTwo
I was just thinking about you this week and wondering how you were doing on the minimum spends? I don't recall what the overall spend was in 6 mos, but I remember it was a lot!
That's a good question because I was a bit worried about when I did the churn. As it turns out, I had no trouble meeting the minimum spend. I had about $10,000 in damage to my home when a pipe burst in the middle of the night and went unnoticed for several hours. I was able to put all of the repair bills on a credit card and I was later reimbursed by the insurance company (less my deductible).

After that, the rest of the spending requirements were pretty easy...
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by TheManofaThousandPlaces
The average age of my accounts is between 5.5 years and 6.0 years, depending on the credit report.
Good to know. It seems that from my experience having only 2 to a maximum of 3.5 years average age is borderline to affect the scores for a while on mulitple new accounts. My mother also has about the same age as you and when I added her as an AU onto my accounts I notice it dropped her average age, but certainly did nothing to her score of 787.

...You timed your apps according to when you thought your pipes would burst to meet the minimum spend. Amazing!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scwam
...You timed your apps according to when you thought your pipes would burst to meet the minimum spend. Amazing!
That's exactly how it happened!
Old May 7, 2012, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

The End of the Experiment

When I performed my 13 card Super-Mega-App-O-Rama, on November 1, 2011, I committed to providing regular updates on the status of my credit score for at least six months. At the time I executed my massive AoR, I surmised that it would probably take about 6 months for my scores to recover. I don’t have any secret insight about the formulas credit bureaus use to calculate credit scores, but six months seemed like a nice number after which inquiries could disappear from the score calculation. Well, as it turns out, I don’t think six months means much of anything. My credit scores have show regular improvement, but a couple of the reporting services actually showed a dip in the final weeks, for which I have no explanation. See the chart below.

Despite some pretty substantial abuse to my credit profile, my scores are in pretty good shape. I should point at that I started with some depth to my credit file. The three bureaus currently report between 44 and 48 total accounts with average ages of 5.7 to 6.2 years. I suspect someone with a slimmer credit file would likely see a greater impact to their scores, while the opposite would be true for someone with a larger credit file.

You may remember that when I started this experiment, I had carefully mapped out my spending requirements as there were some pretty large spend limits I needed to meet. Thanks to the SkyMall promotion, some very high spend levels to fix a flooded rental home, and some Christmas shopping, I had little trouble meeting all of the limits. I wouldn’t like to set myself up for that kind of spending obligation again, but I’m pleased that I was able to manage it without resorting to anything too crazy.

The most important question to answer now is: When is the next churn? I don’t really know the answer to that question, but I’m actually not in much of a hurry. Spending six months on the sidelines has forced me to develop a bit more patience. There are definitely some cards I am eager to get, but I can also afford to be patient and wait for the big offers.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:54 am

average age of accts

The average age of my accounts is between 5.5 years and 6.0 years, depending on the credit report.
does this mean that you have a handful of accts that you keep continuously and don't cancel to get the age up? or what exactly is the key to a high average age? thanks
Old May 8, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Lightbulb Secured Card Options for Miles, even with good credit

Originally Posted by dmora
so what i've learned from reading all this, is that I wont be able to do any churning, since i cant meet spending requirements, and I have terrible credit.

US Bank has several Secured VISA cards for a low min of $300-$5,000 deposit. This might be a option for those with even good credit, if they have had too many pulls. The cards are for Korean, Avianca/Tacca, LAN, AeroMexico.

http://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/compare.html
Old May 8, 2012, 11:47 am

I asked in the proper forum, but never got a response.
How long should I wait for churning my Barclays US Airways card Premier card? 3, 4, 5 months?

TIA
Old May 9, 2012, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by silviar
does this mean that you have a handful of accts that you keep continuously and don't cancel to get the age up? or what exactly is the key to a high average age? thanks
That is correct. I have a couple of accounts that are nearly 10 years old.
Old May 9, 2012, 6:18 pm

When I performed my 13 card Super-Mega-App-O-Rama, on November 1, 2011, I committed to providing regular updates on the status of my credit score for at least six months. At the time I executed my massive AoR, I surmised that it would probably take about 6 months for my scores to recover. I don’t have any secret insight about the formulas credit bureaus use to calculate credit scores, but six months seemed like a nice number after which inquiries could disappear from the score calculation. Well, as it turns out, I don’t think six months means much of anything. My credit scores have show regular improvement, but a couple of the reporting services actually showed a dip in the final weeks, for which I have no explanation. See the chart below.

Despite some pretty substantial abuse to my credit profile, my scores are in pretty good shape. I should point at that I started with some depth to my credit file. The three bureaus currently report between 44 and 48 total accounts with average ages of 5.7 to 6.2 years. I suspect someone with a slimmer credit file would likely see a greater impact to their scores, while the opposite would be true for someone with a larger credit file.

You may remember that when I started this experiment, I had carefully mapped out my spending requirements as there were some pretty large spend limits I needed to meet. Thanks to the SkyMall promotion, some very high spend levels to fix a flooded rental home, and some Christmas shopping, I had little trouble meeting all of the limits. I wouldn’t like to set myself up for that kind of spending obligation again, but I’m pleased that I was able to manage it without resorting to anything too crazy.

The most important question to answer now is: When is the next churn? I don’t really know the answer to that question, but I’m actually not in much of a hurry. Spending six months on the sidelines has forced me to develop a bit more patience. There are definitely some cards I am eager to get, but I can also afford to be patient and wait for the big offers.
Thanks for keeping us updated. I've been following since the churn happened and its great to see your credit bouncing back up.

And it seems like the minimum spend wasn't all that hard to make, which is great! Of course, the flooded house is no good, but it does help soften the blow sometimes when you know you're helping meet a minimum spend!
Old May 9, 2012, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by silviar
Closed accounts are included in the average age.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.