Wiki Posts
Search

500,000 Points in a single churn

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 3:08 pm
Formerly known as gwhit21

Programs: All of them.
Originally Posted by Bachovas
I don't think I'll be calling the reconsideration line if I get approved for the last card pending, the Marriott one. However, if you happen to hear back from the Executive Department please let us know!
Will do, hopefully it's an approval
Old Nov 16, 2011, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Just curious . What $4,000 ticket can be had for 60K Miles ?

I feel fortunate to get a $3300 ticket for 100k miles. What am I missing.

Secondly you got 1,000,000 since June and I got 500,000 so again I am missing something.

I hope it's a quick learning curve
So aside from the example I posted. I can also use 60,000 Continental or US Airways miles for a RT to YGN in J. From North Asia that ticket costs more than $4,000 but is $28 tax and 60,000 miles. Brilliant!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 9:15 pm

Got a rejection letter from Chase today regarding the Marriott card. The other card (Southwest) got approved for a 5K credit limit but I have yet to receive it. That's my only other Chase account.

Reasons for denial? "Too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us."

Any advice on how to approach the reconsideration call?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 9:32 pm
Formerly known as gwhit21

Programs: All of them.
You should definitely have a plan before calling in. Make sure that you're able to explain any reasons why you applied for recent cards and why you need the Marriott card. In example, you just started traveling for work and the Marriott chain is convenient in your hub city. Also, be prepared to close an older card as a last resort. Hopefully, you can convince them or make it seem like their idea to transfer some credit from another card to the Marriott card. I would recommend not saying anything about the sign up bonus.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:18 pm

Called one of the many magic reconsideration numbers and got approved. Had a couple questions there that threw me off but managed to pull through. Still, the whole thing almost felt *too easy* even though it wasn't at all. Must be the thrill of the new experience, eh?

Walking away with the Citi Hilton rejection..............sad puppy.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bachovas
Called one of the many magic reconsideration numbers and got approved. Had a couple questions there that threw me off but managed to pull through. Still, the whole thing almost felt *too easy* even though it wasn't at all. Must be the thrill of the new experience, eh?

Walking away with the Citi Hilton rejection..............sad puppy.
Still, you got approved for the Chase Marriott! Congratulations on your first reconsideration line success! It's not usually that tricky, you just need to know what to expect. Have fun with your points!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
So I decided to jump into the app-o-rama business and have 100% success in 4 apps in 2-3 days:

Chase Sapphire Preferred (50K after $3000 in 90 days) - instant approval

Amex HHonors (60K after $750 spend) - approval within 24 hours by email

Citi HHonors (50K after $1500 in six months) - applied through direct link - need to verify once card is received - but approved instantly

Chase Marriott - applied for the 70K through direct link - denied - reconsideration call - closed an old benefit-less account and moved the credit line to this - need to verify once card is received that it is indeed 70K....
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:47 am

FIRST CHURN! How's this?

New to all this....this was my first try! Been using debit card for years....not anymore!

CHASE
Priority Club Visa - 80,000
Marriott - 70,000 + free night

U.S. Airways MC Visa - 40,000

CITI TY Premier -50,000 (with $2,500 spend in 3 months)

Hilton Amex - 60,000 ($750 - 3 months).

300,000 in 1 churn.....no problems with apps!!!

A couple days on Amex approval....all others were instant.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, JetBlue Mosaic (sometimes)
Originally Posted by wncgolfdawg
New to all this....this was my first try! Been using debit card for years....not anymore!

CHASE

Congrads!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:35 pm

CHASE

You got instant approvals on the PC Visa 80k AND the Marriott 70k?? Seems like getting instant approval for two simultaneous Chase apps is pretty much unheard of. Did you do a two-browser dealie or what? My next app-o-rama is tomorrow and I am hoping to get these same two cards and am trying to figure out what the best strategy is for getting two Chase apps approved (I don't have any existing Chase accounts to close/move credit around, either).
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:54 pm

Applied for Priority Club about a little over a month ago online....instant approval. Then called to apply for Marriott (70,000)...approved on the phone!!!

Applied online for Citi TYP, Hilton Amex and U.S Airways MC at same time. Citi TYP & U.S MC were instant approval online. Got approval from AMEX....3 days later. FICO was 765 after Priority Club pull.

No questions asked from Chase....got card today!!! Nice and shiny Black card with Marriott Rewards # printed on card!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:20 pm

Applied for Priority Club about a little over a month ago online....instant approval. Then called to apply for Marriott (70,000)...approved on the phone!!!

Applied online for Citi TYP, Hilton Amex and U.S Airways MC at same time. Citi TYP & U.S MC were instant approval online. Got approval from AMEX....3 days later. FICO was 765 after Priority Club pull.

No questions asked from Chase....got card today!!! Nice and shiny Black card with Marriott Rewards # printed on card!
Interesting. Did you call to do the Marriott app immediately after submitting the PC app online? If not, how long did you wait?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 3:29 pm

Waited about a two weeks after Priority App to apply for Marriott. Applied for other cards same day as Marriott. I knew that Marriott offer was good and was willing to do some credit limit swapping if needed to get Marriott card.....that's why i called. No need....actually got higher line than Priority Club Visa.

Think I'll give it a rest for a while. Just starting collecting points/miles (other than flying) a few months ago. Picked up 45,000 in Grand Slam for me and 25,000 for my wife. She just got approval on Hilton Amex, too.

I've really read a lot of blogs, too.......Frugal Travel Guy, MillionMileSecrets, View from the Wing. I know I have a lot to learn....but, wow there is a lot of miles/points out there for the taking!!! Any advice thoughts, ideas, wisdom would be appreciated!!!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

I've really read a lot of blogs, too.......Frugal Travel Guy, MillionMileSecrets, View from the Wing. I know I have a lot to learn....but, wow there is a lot of miles/points out there for the taking!!! Any advice thoughts, ideas, wisdom would be appreciated!!!
Keep reading and learning. There's always some new trick to learn or a new deal just around the corner...
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:26 pm

Thoughts on my next churn?

Chase United MileagePlus Explorer 50k (targeted)
CitiBusiness AA Visa 50k
US Airways Premier World MC 40k
American Express SPG Business 25k

Just focusing on those to grow my UACO, AA, and US miles. I also love Starpoints for the hotel awards, but also because they can feed my AA and US balances.

I'm also thinking about doing the 2 Citi ThankYou cards as they seem to be easy apps.

More details here - http://infam.us/rJyK9f. Would love some suggestions, mainly because I'm hesitant about adding the 2 Citi TY cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.