Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improved UA Explorer card offer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by muji
This should not be a problem. Many posts earlier in this thread (which has gotten quite long) have indicated so, including this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17257854-post168.html
OH!!! That's interesting... I just saw this post now...

So this EXPLORER card is a "NEW" product and current / existing Chase United Card holders are eligible? Gosh! I wish its more clear...

so has anyone actually gone through the complete process and got the points?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 3:53 pm

Quick Question:

Does adding an authorized user on an application ever effect how the application is reviewed? Chase does not ask for a social with the app, so they aren't looking at the other person's credit at all I presume (other cards I have asked for the AU's social). Do they take the presence of an AU into account when they approve / deny? Maybe to consider if you're over-extending yourself?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, UA Plat, 2MM, AS MVPG
60K deal

Still worked for me today.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: US Airways/SPG/Club Carlson (Gold)/United/Marriott Rewards Premier (Silver)/Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Banton
Still worked for me today.
Yea it works now was fixed. Also to add to my question above about if lower tier card will still get the same bonus? If it's the lesser card is the annual fee still the same?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:37 pm

Just applied and got the (expected) 10-day notice.

. . . Ready for reconsideration!
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: US Airways/SPG/Club Carlson (Gold)/United/Marriott Rewards Premier (Silver)/Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Palaimo
Just applied and got the (expected) 10-day notice.

. . . Ready for reconsideration!
I got the same thing 10 day notice called 1 day later nothing 2nd day (today) auto said I was approved. Did not need to talk to anyone.

Do you happen to know the answer to my question? If I don't get the signature card is the bonus lower? If so how much lower?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Wow, I'm (hopefully) shocked!

When the Explorer card first came out, it seemed clear that you could not get the bonus miles if you had another United credit card.

From recent posts, it seems that some people have had success getting bonus miles, at least if they had (in the past) a United Signature card.

Can anyone confirm that they received the Explorer bonus miles while still maintaining a United signature account?

This is great if true! However, I am a bit unsure, as when I log into United.com the 40K Explorer ad goes away and it offers the card with no mention of bonus miles.

Last edited by 100countrygoal; Jan 28, 2012 at 10:12 pm
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by 100countrygoal
Can anyone confirm that they received the Explorer bonus miles while still maintaining a United signature account?
I have the same question! I currently hold the cheapie Chase United card too... but I do want this 50K bonus IF i can get it.

On a second note... whats the quickest way to put miles in a United Mileage account? I'm trying to help someone get this offer too but they have 0 points in their united mileage account.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:22 am

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Originally Posted by RedElmo
I have the same question! I currently hold the cheapie Chase United card too... but I do want this 50K bonus IF i can get it.

On a second note... whats the quickest way to put miles in a United Mileage account? I'm trying to help someone get this offer too but they have 0 points in their united mileage account.
If they have Chase Ultimate Reward points, they transfer to UA in a manner of minutes. (obviously transferring from CO is also very quick, but I am assuming they don't have a CO account).
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
I still have the old United card (less than a year) and both my wife and I just got the new Explorer card (instantly - and I have 3 other Chase cards). I had them move my statement date to 1 Feb - I've made and paid for a couple of purchases already, so we'll see what happens on 1 Feb since many have said they got their points on the statement closing date. I'll report back :-)
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:19 am

After about a 2-3 week wait for approval, I see that it's showing up now on the website.

Last edited by Tailgater; Jan 29, 2012 at 6:41 am
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: No Longer Anything
Yes- you can get bonus as previous card holder

To a number of above posts: notwithstanding the potential issue if you opened a MP card or OP card since mid-July 2011, I can confirm that as a holder of an active MP visa (old) and OP mc (opened early 2011) I was able to receive the Explorer card and have 50,000 bonus miles already posted to my MP account. I can verify the exact same outcome for a friend, under the same conditions. Others on FT have also verified.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by RedElmo
So now I'm confused... yes I know usually the rep's dont know much but it wont hurt... I did call and they said since i have a "normal" united card I probably would not be eligible for the bonus miles.

So are you saying you I CAN get the 50K bonus miles? I currently hold a Chase Freedom card a different Chase United card...

What is the difference with the "Explorer" card? I really would like to apply for it IF and only IF i can get the 50K points.
The Explorer card is new, and one difference is that you dont pay baggage fees. When I called 6 months ago to cancel the previous United card, I talked with a rep who told me I was not eligible for the bonus miles because I already had a United card. She also told me to keep checking back though, because Chase is always coming up with new offers.

I recently noticed several posts indicating others with the United card were getting the bonus miles, and the 60K offer was showing up on my United account. Since two of the terms for the offer seem to be contradicting (explained in my previous post), I called to get clarification of the terms. As a result of all that call, I applied for the card 2 days ago. I tried to get the card for my wife, but the offer does not show up for her. She doesnt even get the 40K offer. I've tried all the suggestions with various links, clearing cache, etc. She just cancelled her older United card this month.

From all I have read recently, if you can get the link to work, it appears there is a very good probability you will get the bonus.

Last edited by mckelveymv; Jan 29, 2012 at 7:37 am Reason: added info
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:34 am

the link worked with 60k mile award. Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:43 am

Update - My wife and I both applied for and received the United Explorer Visa back in December under the 25 + 5 + 10 = 40k offer. In January after we saw the new 50 + 10 = 60K offer, we called and asked if we could be considered for the 60k. A request was put through to marketing and this week we each received a postcard in the mail stating that we would be receiving an additional 20k for a total of 50K each.

Also,regarding the Chase Continental OnePass Plus MasterCards - After talking to a Chase customer service rep, we were told that the current plan is for all current CO OP Plus MasterCard holders to be issued new UA MileagePlus Explorer MasterCards by March 3rd which will have the same number as the old CO MasterCards. Persons who will be holding both a UA MP Explorer MasterCard and Visa will be asked which one they would like to keep, since both cards will have identical benefits for the same yearly fee. Our strategy will be to see if we can stick with the MasterCard and have our annual fee date reset to March and have the next year fee waived since we just received a free year on the UA MP Explorer Visa in December. This MasterCard option will be nice since we have a long credit history with the CO OP MasterCard, and we also would like to have one primary MasterCard and one primary Visa in our arsenal (our primary Visa is the Chase Sapphire Preferred).

And ..., United intends to actually switch everyone to the OnePass account number scheme (AA123456) in March. MileagePlus account holders will either be switched to their old OnePass number if they have one, or will be given a new two letter - six digit replacement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.