Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, A*A, SW RR
Rate My Churn!

I have learned so much this summer. Let me be more specific:

BA 5/8 100k
AA Citi Visa 7/15 75k
AA Citi Amex 7/15 75k (still working on the spend)
Amex PRG 7/21 75k (have SM promising to bump the bonus)
US Air MC 7/25 40k

Along with those, I was denied for a Chase Southwest BUSINESS Visa (along with the 50k miles) that I applied for on 7/12. So what's next? As of right now:

AA Citi Business 75k
Chase Sapphire 50k
Amex SPG 25k

The only other truly viable options seem like hotel cards (Hyatt, Hilton), but I don't see myself going to Paris, Tokyo, or the Maldives in the next few years, so I know I can't get maximum value from the Hyatt, and the Hilton miles just don't seem very valuable when I can use AA miles to stay at hotels (or Chase UR points, or SPG points/points+cash).

I'm really interested in hearing the FT opinions about my plans. I'm going to wait until next month (90 days from last application) to do my next round, even though I could apply for AA Citi Business today, because I feel like I should do all apps on the same day, and I don't want to do my churn before hearing about the offer Ingersoll has been discussing that is coming out on his birthday.

I guess my real reason for posting is to hear if I'm overlooking anything, or hopefully, get some nods of approval. Everything I've learned about this great game, I've learned here, so it felt only right to ask you guys if you think I'm going about this the right way.

On the awesome side, my girlfriend and I are going to Toronto, where I have always wanted to go, next month. Roundtrip flights and 3 nights at a decent looking hotel were only ~80k AA points. Amazing. Looking forward to going to Brazil next summer with the GF for 80k BA points as well.

THANKS EVERYBODY!!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:53 pm
xp0

umm just look at all the other people that start new threads with the 10+ cards they applied for all at once and compare to their lists? It should be the same.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:21 pm

Technically, the word "churn" is used to describe applying for the same card product over and over again.

Lately, I have noticed a few (admirably enthusiastic) newbies conflating the term "churn" with "App-O-Rama," which is the term used when you apply for a bunch of different cards, all around the same time.

OP, what you have here is an app-o-rama.

Sorry to be the word-nazi, but I just thought I should speak up, before the term "churn" degenerates into just "a bunch of applications."

Last edited by ckpeter; Sep 22, 2011 at 11:28 pm Reason: The joke was on me for mis-spelling app-o-rama as app-o-roma
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: Several dozen
tomato/tomatoe, potato/potatoe

An "App-O-Rama" is just stripmining cards for miles if a one time event or plastic recycling when you take a second dip with the same chip. Recycling is so much better for our financial environment, but...ummm...I think I'll pass on dipping in your salsa bowl. Churn? Well, that is something you do to create butter. Simply not appropriate, as we create lucre, golden in color, but hard to spread around (well, at least since the mint closed<g>).

Originally Posted by ckpeter
Technically, the word "churn" is used to describe applying for the same card product over and over again.

Lately, I have noticed a few (admirably enthusiastic) newbies conflating the term "churn" with "App-O-Roma," which is the term used when you apply for a bunch of different cards, all around the same time.

OP, what you have here is an app-o-roma.

Sorry to be the word-nazi, but I just thought I should speak up, before the term "churn" degenerates into just "a bunch of applications."
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Sorry to be the word-nazi, but I just thought I should speak up,
before the term "churn" degenerates into just "a bunch of applications."

I even looked in the FT Glossary... nada...
http://www.flyertalk.com/glossary/?letter_start=C
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:30 pm

OP, what you have here is an app-o-rama.
I don’t think what the OP is doing would qualify as an AOR.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
OP - well done for applying for some credit cards. Go ahead and apply for some more. You're clearly thinking it through and you've established it's not rocket science. There's plenty enough to read on the subject (on FT and various blogs) and you don't need anyone's approval. Just get on with it.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 5:43 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Definition of Churn

the meaning changed in my mind when the ultimate churn machine (citi) stopped unlimited applications. Now I'm churning up points when applying for multiple cards.

to each his own, but that's how I define a churn now. Simply applying for cards with the sign up bonus as my primary goal.

My new motto:" If it ain't fifty and ain't so nifty".

Come on 50k+ offers.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, A*A, SW RR
Thanks for the responses, guys. This game certainly ain't rocket science. Will update in a month when everything (hopefully) goes off as planned.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by MSYnola
This game certainly ain't rocket science.
Are you aware of the three browser method?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: As many as I can!
Originally Posted by MSYnola

Along with those, I was denied for a Chase Southwest BUSINESS Visa (along with the 50k miles) that I applied for on 7/12.
Did you try calling the reconsideration line? Chase has been getting very strict, but you may be able to get them to approve you for another card.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Million Mile Secrets
Did you try calling the reconsideration line? Chase has been getting very strict, but you may be able to get them to approve you for another card.
I have seen numerous posts with just the opposite happening. If you get denied and call for reconsideration they are letting you move part of your CL to the card you applied for and approving it. Very easy process.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold
I've had success twice calling Chase for reconsideration. They were happy to shuffle my credit limits to avoid increasing their exposure.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by QL_714
I have seen numerous posts with just the opposite happening. If you get denied and call for reconsideration they are letting you move part of your CL to the card you applied for and approving it. Very easy process.
This has been my experience, as well. I was initially denied for the last two chase cards I applied for. In each case, a single phone call that was pretty short and painless is all that was required to get approved. I had to shift some of my credit limits from one account to the new one, but that was easy. I really don't need $20K limits on any of my cards.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by TheManofaThousandPlaces
I really don't need $20K limits on any of my cards.
I guess you do not have the Chase AARP card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.