Reload this Page >

New name for what we do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New name for what we do

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:51 pm

Bear, of course the point is to subvert the intended purposes of these programs, offers, databases, etc. YQ tricks, taking advantage of obvious price errors, using promo codes that are targetted and obviously aren't intended for them, doing BPGs and then cancelling, using cash back codes/promos in ways that violate the terms of service because a glitch lets it go through, applying for 2 CC's simultaneously on different browers etc. I'm all for it, but come on. Even if you're not enaged in any of it you've got to realize folks doing these things comprise a significant portion of this community.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by XStAnt
So, any ideas for a new term or phrase to use?
"Obsessing."

Old Aug 5, 2011, 3:23 pm

I prefer to stress the savvy and knowledge aspects of this craft: Mileage Maven
Old Aug 5, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
I'm far too sophisticated for that... I'm a Miles/Points Aficionado
Old Aug 5, 2011, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Yinzer
Bear, of course the point is to subvert the intended purposes of these programs, offers, databases, etc. YQ tricks, taking advantage of obvious price errors, using promo codes that are targetted and obviously aren't intended for them, doing BPGs and then cancelling, using cash back codes/promos in ways that violate the terms of service because a glitch lets it go through, applying for 2 CC's simultaneously on different browers etc. I'm all for it, but come on. Even if you're not enaged in any of it you've got to realize folks doing these things comprise a significant portion of this community.
As I've been here more than 12 years and you've been here a few months, I think I understand your point. I would say a certain portion of this community is actively engaged in maximum / extreme exploitation of loyalty programs, but very few are regularly violating the rules.

Since FT has grown well-known we get a steady stream of newbies here who start by wanting to know how to fly in F all the time without status, miles or payment... how to achieve Platinum or Plutonium Tier or whatever without any effort... etc. They are invariably disappointed, even angry, to know the community is about making the best of these programs... not short-circuiting the system completely.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 4:04 pm

Bear, I think there's a bit of dissonance in what you're saying between the aknowledged activities of a large number of people and what you believe this community as a whole stands for. I'm curious what percentage of FT people you believe haven't violated a TOS or otherwise engaged in activities they know are against the rules of a program/offer? There's all kinds of shades of grey here, ethical and legal questions, in terms of the activities being promoted. And it's far more complicated than claiming the community is just about making the best of programs.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Mileentologist.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 4:39 pm

Some programs don't involve miles per se, so maybe we should just call ourselves Pointer Sisters.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
I think of myself as a Travel Synergist.
+1

Nice term.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:11 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
the dairy folks....one good churn deserves another!.....y'all get the point[s[?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 7:08 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by Yinzer
Proud to be a member of this community.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by rbwpi
Proud to be a member of this community.
I'm going to presume sarcasm here... yeah, between this and the extreme anti-TSA vocalists in TS&S declaring, with dead seriousness, they want TSA employees to commit suicide en masse, it's been a rough few days for FT's image. Aargh.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Ugggh! We are underappreciated artistic folk, not hackers. We are among the most unappreciated of the arts community, like the graffiti artists.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US, AA, UA, SPG, HHonors, PC
While Mileage Slut was a riot, I think I'm leaning towards Mile Maven.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:09 pm

obsessive compulsive

on the autistic spectrum

I think I will call myself:
Very focused

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.