Tinker to Evers to Chance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.

Im relatively new here and Id appreciate some advice and comments. Although Ive redeemed my share of international premium seat awards Ive also saved lots of miles, more than a few hundred thousand on each of United/Continetal, American, US Air and Delta. Im not a business traveler yet Ive managed to maintain Premier Executive on United for several years by doing a couple of MRs each year and taking advantage of credit card EQM promotions. Ive got lifetime Gold on American mainly through BD and Credit Cards bonuses (THANK YOU FT!). My plan is to achieve lifetime Platinum and then not worry about maintaining status with United.

I just signed up for the Amtrak and Choice Hotels programs, I dont have any plans to actually travel or stay with either of them. Im thinking about transferring 300,000 or 400,000 or 500,000 United/Continetal miles to Amtrak then to Choice then to American. As far as I can tell Ill lose 40% of the initial miles in the process but it might be worth it to me. (A quick search for Amtrak and Choice credit cards didnt reveal any major (>50,000) sign-up bonuses so Im not certain getting either of their credit cards would be helpful and worth the hit to my ability to get other credit cards.)

Im wondering if theres a flaw in my understanding of the transfer process that Im not aware of. Do the Amtrak or Choice programs require any real participation (a train ride or a hotel stay)? Is there a limit to the number of miles or points that can be transferred? Is the process highly time consuming? Is there a significant $ cost? Anything else?

Thank you very much.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: No preference
Is the transfer important enough to you to basically lose an international first award ticket? ... or two?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
The Amtrak to Choice transfer has restrictions and a fairly small cap:

https://amtrakguestrewards.com/redeem/hotelPoints/4013

You either need Amtrak status, or the credit card and Amtrak spend. Even then, it's limited and it would take you several years to make that transfer. It doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: No preference
This may see obvious, but have you gotten all of the AA cards? Both personals and then churning of the business? Also, signing up for a couple of Hilton cards then transferring can get you another 60k or so.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:03 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
I don’t have any plans to actually travel....

Originally Posted by ramolnar
...several years...
At 25,000 points per year it would take decades to transfer 500,000.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:18 am

One thing to wonder about is whether Amtrak would change their program significantly without any notice.

But you don't have to wonder-they've did it twice in he past. The first time they limited the number of miles that you can transfer in a year to 25k, which restriction may still be in effect. The second time was to eliminate certain partners to which miles could be transferred.

I don't know when Amtrak will again change its program without advance notice, but I plan my activities on the assumption that, based on the past, they may well do so.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Is the transfer important enough to you to basically lose an international first award ticket? ... or two?
Im not 100% certain but the answer may well be yes. I have many more airline miles than I could use for several years, even with an international first class award or 2 each year.

This may see obvious, but have you gotten all of the AA cards? Both personals and then churning of the business? Also, signing up for a couple of Hilton cards then transferring can get you another 60k or so.
I think so. Currently have all 3 personals and 1 business, applying for another business tomorrow. SPG in 2009 and again this year with points transferred to AA each time. 3 or 4 different Hilton cards in the past 2 years. Tomorrows apply-o-rama will include second (different) AA business, SPG business (have already exchanged referrals) and maybe a Priority Club card (no minimum, quick point transfer). Im also thinking about transferring Hilton points but that transfer ratio is pretty lame and my Hilton balance isnt as lofty as the airline programs.

(from multiple authors) The Amtrak to Choice transfer has restrictions and a fairly small cap:
You either need Amtrak status, or the credit card and Amtrak spend

At 25,000 points per year it would take decades to transfer 500,000.
I suspected that might be the situation, I did not see the fine print previously. Even at 50,000 per year the time involved is too much.
Redemption of Amtrak Guest Rewards points for Choice Privileges points is only available to the following members with the associated annual point transfer caps, inclusive of all transfers, as outlined in the program Terms and Conditions:
Members with current Amtrak Guest Rewards Select or Select Plus status, with an annual point transfer limit of 50,000
Cardholders of the Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard issued by Chase Bank with an Amtrak travel spend on the card of over $200 per calendar year, with an annual point transfer limit of 25,000 per year
I suspected there were some flaws with the plan. Thanks very much everyone.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
?? asked and answered so we'll close 'er down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.