Wiki Posts
Search

What CC to apply for next?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

What CC to apply for next?

History-

2nd week of May to Mid May 2011 - applied and approved for British Airways (100k) , Continental (50k) and 2 Citi (visa and amex)

late June 2011 - applied and approved for Chase Sapphire Preferred.

I would like to have the Citi Business (75k), SPG AMEX (30k) and possibly the Alaska Air(40k).

Should I wait a bit? Is the best strategy to apply for two at once or one at a time? Which is the best one to apply for now or later (how much later)? I only had ONE AMEX card but that was in the late 80s and has been cancelled for at least 10 years. I don't have a hotel card at all.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Personally, I would go for the AMEX Platinum or Gold PR since the bonuses on those are great. I would wait on the SPG AMEX since you never know if the bonus will get better down the road.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

What is the AMEX Platinum or Gold PR? How many bonus miles? Is it a targeted card?

thanks
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Those are all separate banks, I'd apply for all three at the same time.

If you're really concerned, apply for them in order of preference with 30 seconds in between, but I doubt it'll matter.

Not sure I agree to sit on the SPG; even though the offer isn't great, I've yet to read of a really good offer on that card, simply because it's so good and they know it. They probably have no need to provide an incentive to potential new customers... (even though they are providing the 25,000 bonus right now, 30,000 with a referral)

Plus, if you want to put your spend on the best possible card, it probably makes sense to get that card ASAP so you can get the 1.25 per $; there is an opportunity cost there.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
On the SPG, I think that Ingy, The Frugal Travel Guy, is as plugged in on this offer as you can be. His comments on the recent thread about this card indicate that this is the offer he was waiting for. Although I might have hoped for more, he has the experience, insight, and connections with this card that I believe this will be the best offer you see for awhile. Keep in mind that while upping the spending bonus by 5K, they reduced the spending requirement by over $10,000.

While we tend to focus on FF miles here, most folks overlook the need to pay for a hotel once they get to their destination. Starpoints are worth a great deal, especially when used with their cash and points option. And if you're really airline mile focused, you can get 35K miles in most any program with this card by meeting the spending requirements (30K becomes 20K plus the 5K airline transfer bonus plus your remaining 10K--of course, if you've got another 10K Starpoints already in your account, you're looking at another 25K).
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: Lotz
The SPG was 30K last July also when I got it. I don't think it's ever been over 30K.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:17 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Originally Posted by tassojunior
The SPG was 30K last July also when I got it. I don't think it's ever been over 30K.
Last July, it was 30K with $1K spend. Wife (& also my coworker) got 60K by getting personal and Biz cards.

Lets see what will occur on the 26th. (check www.frugaltravelguy.com)
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by chemist661
Last July, it was 30K with $1K spend. Wife (& also my coworker) got 60K by getting personal and Biz cards.

Lets see what will occur on the 26th. (check www.frugaltravelguy.com)
He has indicated in a thread (can't remember which one) that this 30K referral was the item being released on the 26th, they just did it early.

Do you know if there is a 30K business referral bonus as well? I'd love to get 60K each for hotels
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:01 pm

Referral bonus is just on personal card unfortunately wont work for buiz
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:43 am

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by trich
Referral bonus is just on personal card unfortunately wont work for buiz
False. Business referrals are mentioned multiple times in the SPG 30k thread with people willing to send you one. They sent me one
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
False. Business referrals are mentioned multiple times in the SPG 30k thread with people willing to send you one. They sent me one
I think I read it as a 25K one with a $15K spend or something like that, is that correct?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The SPG credit card many say is the best points/miles credit card in the industry, and I fully agree. Although 30K points for the bonus is not that much more than the normal 25K, they have reduced the spend to receive the bonus (which was high to start with).

This is my go-to credit card for purchases. SPG points hold a lot of value and will get you much further than Hilton or Marriott. Also, with SPG points you can transfer to many airlines for a 1:1 ratio and if you transfer 20K you will receive an additional 5K bonus. Last year they also ran a promotion where you will receive a 35% bonus on all transfers.

I wrote more about my thoughts on the card in my blog post here.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by Smidget
I think I read it as a 25K one with a $15K spend or something like that, is that correct?
They lowered it to a $4K spend in 90 days for 30K Starpoints. My understanding is you have to be rferred by a cardholder who has recieved an email offer to refer folks.

I happen to have the email and would be more than happy to refer anyone who wants to jump on this offer.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Gamecock
They lowered it to a $4K spend in 90 days for 30K Starpoints. My understanding is you have to be rferred by a cardholder who has recieved an email offer to refer folks.

I happen to have the email and would be more than happy to refer anyone who wants to jump on this offer.
And this is for the business card and not the personal, right?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
It's for both business and personal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.