Reload this Page >

[Expired]Alaska Air Visa - 40K bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired]Alaska Air Visa - 40K bonus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:14 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Happy is spot on ....

Alaska is great for airline redemption partners and you can top it up from many sources like SPG, Diners, I think Amex, etc. So even at 40k you can bring it up to 50k for two domestic awards fairly easily. Or higher for an international trip.

Originally Posted by Happy
No. As a rule of thumb, airline programs largely do not transfer among airline programs. ditto hotel programs dont transfer among hotel programs. If you think about it, it makes sense from a competitor's view point.

Between airline program and hotel program there are some transferability with SPG to Airlines being the most generously.

You can of course use it for partner awards. AS has specific partner award charts unlike the structure of your AA, CO or BA.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Btw, why did you not ask this before applying? Or, if you haven't applied yet, the offer is over, as of about the start of this month.
I just called in to the number posted on here yesterday and they offered me the 40K. At first she told me it came with a 25K sign up offer (like the link now) but when I said "Oh I thought it was 40K she said "wait a minute" and said she could offer me that. So I got approved with the 40K.

We do not live in an Alaska market. We live in San Antonio. We got the card because we have a trip planned to Hawaii next year and we are going to stop for a night on the West Coast. We plan on using it for that....one way to offset at least one ticket...

My worry is if we don't get to make the trip next year! Not sure where I will use the miles! Sounds like there aren't a lot of options to go places except Seattle from Austin! I know they can be used on partners but it has to be roundtrip and I everything I looked at was 65K a ticket.

I was hoping I could use it on hotels or cars like AA or United!
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sargenet
I just called in to the number posted on here yesterday and they offered me the 40K. At first she told me it came with a 25K sign up offer (like the link now) but when I said "Oh I thought it was 40K she said "wait a minute" and said she could offer me that. So I got approved with the 40K.

We do not live in an Alaska market. We live in San Antonio. We got the card because we have a trip planned to Hawaii next year and we are going to stop for a night on the West Coast. We plan on using it for that....one way to offset at least one ticket...

My worry is if we don't get to make the trip next year! Not sure where I will use the miles! Sounds like there aren't a lot of options to go places except Seattle from Austin! I know they can be used on partners but it has to be roundtrip and I everything I looked at was 65K a ticket.

AS award is r/t chart, not one-way. They go to Alaska, naturally. They also go to Vancouver Canada, and Mexico too. Their schedules to Hawaii are far better than those of AA's btw.

You can use AS miles to book AA flights or DL flights for domestic travel. Hawaii is definitely not 65K.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rt-hawaii.aspx

Go to AS website and look up its award charts. They are partner specific.

If you ever travel internationally especially to Asia or Australia, AS miles are GREAT because it has good availability on hard to come by partner flights when using other programs. I would accumulate AS miles at any low cost opportunity but not on a 40K bonus card with fee.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
AS award is r/t chart, not one-way.
To clarify, you can redeem AS awards one way (half the miles) on AS flights. Recently did this for a DFW-SEA flight in first class for 25K miles. But yes, depending on what chart you are looking at awards may be quoted r/t.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:44 am

I have the companion pass. Is there a way to book a flight, use the companion ticket, cancel the first booking, and still have the companion ticket be ok?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by rwalia99
I have the companion pass. Is there a way to book a flight, use the companion ticket, cancel the first booking, and still have the companion ticket be ok?
I believe the companion ticket will be on the same PNR/booking, so once you cancel the first, you're cancelling them altogether.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HikerT
To clarify, you can redeem AS awards one way (half the miles) on AS flights. Recently did this for a DFW-SEA flight in first class for 25K miles. But yes, depending on what chart you are looking at awards may be quoted r/t.
Yes. You are correct. I forgot the AS own metal because that is not what we accumulate AS miles for.

AS also has shourthaul chart that costs less miles than the transcon, i.e. a hop from LAX to YVR would cost less than SEA-MIA.

sargenet was looking for partner flights which are all round trip.

The great value of the AS miles lies with its partner redemption - for whatever reason, using AS miles can find the scarce QF award seats to Australia far easier than using AA miles, as an example. Also the F North America to Hong Kong on CX is the same cost North America to South Africa with a stop at Hong Kong. Terrific value.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rwalia99
Originally Posted by booyaa
I believe the companion ticket will be on the same PNR/booking, so once you cancel the first, you're cancelling them altogether.
Correct. Both passengers must travel together. This is almost universal requirement across airlines when using companion certificate. Otherwise, how can that be "companion"? Plain English if you really think about it.

The conditions on using the companion ticket can be found online.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by sargenet

Hey neighbor - we should go together! :-) I'm planning a Hawaii trip for Oct or Nov 2012 for our 40th. I signed up for this card to take advantage of the companion pass for a first class flight out of Austin (medically I don't think I could do that long a trip in a regular coach seat).

Brian
Old Sep 11, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: SPG PLT
Originally Posted by bj2757
Hey neighbor - we should go together! :-) I'm planning a Hawaii trip for Oct or Nov 2012 for our 40th. I signed up for this card to take advantage of the companion pass for a first class flight out of Austin (medically I don't think I could do that long a trip in a regular coach seat).

Brian
I did thus trip from Houston a couple times and it is a long ride.

I better hurry and apply!
Old Sep 11, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by srt8-blue
I did thus trip from Houston a couple times and it is a long ride.

I better hurry and apply!
That's why I like the fact you spend a night in Seattle each way - breaks it up a bit - and my body is thankful :-)
Old Oct 26, 2011, 5:19 am

Programs: AA Аэрофлот UA LH AF AS SPG HH PC
BofA has The ShopSafe® service for their VISA card. Can anyone confirm that this Alaska CC has the shopsafe feature and that they have used the shopsafe feature to make online purchases ? thx.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: Nada :(
What does shop safe offer that visa doesnt already offer in terms of protection?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:54 am

anyone successful in getting this lately?
i called and was told its over...
then when i pushed she said i needed a priority code, which i didnt have

any ideas?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
You can find the offer code in this blog post.

The last time I tried using the offer code was 3 days ago and it was still active. I will be doing another round of apps for my spouse in a day or two and will post my findings.

Last edited by jeelele; Nov 4, 2011 at 11:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.