Reload this Page >

New player in the mileage game: US Bank Lanpass 20k after first use

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New player in the mileage game: US Bank Lanpass 20k after first use

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:18 pm

For what it's worth, this isn't a bad card if you actually fly LAN (good airline to South America, by the way). The mileage bonus is on the low side at 20K, and I've never seen an offer that waives the annual fee (I think it's $75 or $85), but the Visa Signature version has some nice benefits, like 20 percent off your first LAN purchase each year. For a family of 4 traveling to S. America from the US, that can easily mean $1,000 back. They also give you a few upgrade certificates when you sign up (though I'm not sure how easy/hard they are to actually use, as mine expired before I had a chance to try). Would be nicer still if they got rid of the foreign transaction fee, but can't win them all, I guess.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
This card has been around quite some time right? Also is it 20K Km or miles that actually posts?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by BearX220
I had the same sequence of events. I have a US Bank FlexPerks card but not LANPASS. The second email explained the first one was a mistake -- it was intended for LANPASS cardholders only but US Bank screwed up their list management. (Also email design... the rogue email was a .txt file, no HTML / branding / etc.)
My wife and I both have Flexperks and we both got them.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:55 pm

It's a good card for LAN purchases but it lacks a little for everyday purchases:

The Starwood Amex is superior ($1 = 1 Starpoint = 2 LAN km)

U.S. Bank LAN Signature Visa ($1 = 1 mile = 1.61 LAN km)
Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Laverel
It's a good card for LAN purchases but it lacks a little for everyday purchases:

The Starwood Amex is superior ($1 = 1 Starpoint = 2 LAN km)

U.S. Bank LAN Signature Visa ($1 = 1 mile = 1.61 LAN km)
SPG is even better when converted in multiples of 20K.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
This card has been around quite some time right? Also is it 20K Km or miles that actually posts?
It's been around at least since last year. The 20K is in miles. They'll convert it to Km when it posts. One thing to keep in mind is that LAN Km redemption amounts can vary wildly. I've seen coach roundtrips as low as 48,000 km and as high as 128,000 km. Alas, the 128K awards are far more frequent, unless you plan way, way in advance. Frankly, the one key perk to the card is the 20 percent credit on a LAN purchase. I believe they'll credit up to $1,000. I travel once or twice a year between U.S. and South America with wife and kids, so for me it was a no-brainer. But for everyday purchases, as others have said, there are far better options.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL,UA
I got the same series of email and have nerver had an account with them. I wonder where they got their email list from.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:12 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Everyone in our family got the USBank Lanpass email, all have the flexperks card...except one person...and she got the same email, so must be from an old NWA mailing list and not a USBank list?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: most of them
I got this email from them too. Figured it was spam. No accounts with this bank ever as far as I can remember
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:35 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by mrx900
USBank notified recipients of the emails that it was a mistake on their part. no worries
I wouldn't say no worries....

Firstly, I'm glad to see this thread since it alleviates some of my fear - I'm not alone in this atleast.

But I received an email to 2 different email accounts, neither of which I've used for any banking or anything travel-related.

I was afraid to even open the email, let alone click on any kind of link. I saw that they both came from "US Bank" and both had the subject: "Information About Your LANPASS Visa Card Email Preferences". I deleted both.

These 2 email accounts do not normally receive spam - unlike the accounts I've used for travel, or banking. I'm rather concerned about how LANPASS came by these addresses.

FWIW, both of the accounts were with yahoo.

I was planning to pull my credit reports at some time soon (I've been the victim of ID theft before) but now I plan to do it tomorrow.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:48 pm

Programs: Alaska Air
This card has been discussed in the Other North & South America forum, since LAN doesn't have its own. There have been better offers in the past, so it might pay off to hold out for something better than 20,000 km. It is worth noting that occasionally LAN offers pretty good sales on simply purchasing miles, kind of like USAir's occasional sales. Using the LAN cc makes that type of purchase slightly more attractive.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...visa-card.html
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:39 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by sk3
I wouldn't say no worries....

Firstly, I'm glad to see this thread since it alleviates some of my fear - I'm not alone in this atleast.

But I received an email to 2 different email accounts, neither of which I've used for any banking or anything travel-related.

I was afraid to even open the email, let alone click on any kind of link. I saw that they both came from "US Bank" and both had the subject: "Information About Your LANPASS Visa Card Email Preferences". I deleted both.

These 2 email accounts do not normally receive spam - unlike the accounts I've used for travel, or banking. I'm rather concerned about how LANPASS came by these addresses.

FWIW, both of the accounts were with yahoo.

I was planning to pull my credit reports at some time soon (I've been the victim of ID theft before) but now I plan to do it tomorrow.
+1. ^

I got the e-mail as well as I do not bank with them at all.
Maybe they purchased this list somewhere. Anyhow, I send TWO secure e-mail to USbank, got NO response, while they promised to response within 24 hours.

And I did pull my credit report right away. Luckily, so far ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.