Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Reliant or Energy Plus AA and UA offers (CT, MD, NJ, NY, PA and TX) [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reliant or Energy Plus AA and UA offers (CT, MD, NJ, NY, PA and TX) [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:14 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by mizzou1
Doesn't work. Replacing NY with PA gives me an offer for only 7500 miles ...
United Airlines 20K URL futz works for NY, NJ, IL, and TX.

Delta Airlines 20K URL futz works for NY and CT.

I have no URL for 20K American. Will someone please provide it? Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )
Originally Posted by pgary
United Airlines 20K URL futz works for NY, NJ, IL, and TX.

Delta Airlines 20K URL futz works for NY and CT.

I have no URL for 20K American. Will someone please provide it? Thanks.

http://www.energypluscompany.com/mil...88&gas_pcb=788

So switched to it, I figured considering my last electricity bill was $40, they can't overcharge me that much. I figure 2 months with them and then I switch to someone else once the miles post (25k). I was required to file a $100 deposit with them which I find strange as I have never had to do so before with an electricity company (good credit score). Anyone else have to deal with this? How do they go about refunding it? I don't plan on specifically calling them to cancel, just switching to another company when finished, this works fine with other companies so I don't see why it wouldn't work here.

Last edited by pattermj; Feb 26, 2013 at 8:26 am
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:38 am

Be careful with this company. The first month my rate was 0.05. Next month she went to 0.1 ... my bill doubled. I took my AA miles and canceled. If rate remained the same I would not change provider, but...double!!!! If you want just a miles, calculate the difference and see if it is worth it.

Last edited by Tedimed; Feb 26, 2013 at 8:45 am
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Tedimed
Be careful with this company. The first month my rate was 0.05. Next month she went to 0.1 ... my bill doubled. I took my AA miles and canceled. If rate remained the same I would not change provider, but...double!!!! If you want just a miles, calculate the difference and see if it is worth it.
Yea I plan on transferring right after I get the miles. It is currently 1 full cent more per kw/h then the lowest I have available to me (I am in the 500kw range per month) but in the end that should be minimal cost to me compared to the 25k miles. I am more worried on dealing with the deposit junk and actual cancellation without them trying to screw me after.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:49 am

I just called them for the fun of it. I asked what my rate would have been last month. They said rates are variable. I asked again, last month is over so rates can not be variable. He side stepped the question again and said next month is projected to be .08/kwh. I asked a 3rd time and he said he did not have historical data. I asked who did. He put me on hold and came back with Dec being at .12

Current rate w/ utility =.053
Projected EP rate=.08
EP rate 2 months ago = 1.2

So their historical rate is 50% higher than their projected rate and almost triple my current rate. My latest bill used $50 in supply charges so that would go to $120.

So I would be buying 25,000 miles for $140 and a lot of hassle. That is probably the best case scenario.

No thank you Energy Plus. The plus must stand for your current rate plus a whole lot more.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
On the UA 20K+5K offer I have for IL, they claim 3 months at 25% lower than Comed's rate. Gives an extra months cushion to cancel.
However, I am paying about .04/kwh using a different supplier than comed. EPs special rate is 50% higher. on my current bill, would equal about $12 more per month.

Last edited by jmw2323; Feb 28, 2013 at 11:42 am
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:38 pm

double-dip (churn?)

Has anyone tried to double dip on this, or sort of "churn" this deal? How good are they at tracking previous customers?

I did this with Continental Airlines a few years ago, after 3 months my rate went up (around 10%) so I canceled it, it was worth miles earned.

Now they are doing it with United and AA in my area. Has anyone tried doing it more than once? Any feedback?

Thank you,

PedroNY
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:35 pm

https://www.energypluscompany.com/co...88&gas_pcb=788

12,500 AA miles for 2 months of active service (PA). Looks like the URL can be modified for all other states (MD, NY, NJ, etc)
Old May 8, 2013, 7:31 am

So I am moving from my current location and have no desire to keep energyplus due to their doubling the cost. I have already setup for a different energy provider to start at my new place so need to cancel energyplus. The only problem is I am still waiting on the bonus miles. Calling them, they state it has cleared that I get the 25k miles, it just takes 2-4 weeks (3 weeks max from now) to post. Think it is safe to cancel now and they will go through? Any way I can force them to ensure it is going through? thanks
Old May 8, 2013, 8:45 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I did this a few years ago and cancelled as soon as my bonus miles posted once I realized how much more I was paying. (It's been so long I can no longer remember what airline I did it through, how many bonus miles I received, and how much I overpaid, but I remember walking away from it with the impression that I was fleeced, and that the value of the miles was nowhere close to how much I had been overcharged.)

Received a postcard a few weeks ago... apparently there was some sort of class action lawsuit filed and there is a pending settlement, so be on the lookout. I think I'm getting $25 back, which is negligible, but it's nothing I was expecting.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: AA,AV,UA,BA
Best is to time the 2nd/3rd month of contract to happen during spring or early fall - basically when your electric consumption is the lowest in the year so that you can change providers right in time before summer/winter and their higher rates hit your bill.
Old May 8, 2013, 1:39 pm

I also got that post card but seem to have lost it. Overall, as long as I can cancel it in the next week or so, my additional out of pocket cost should be under $50. My first months rent was $33, then second they boosted to $60 (without any actual energy use increase). I knew they would but as long as the 25k miles post I count it as well worth it.

Originally Posted by dw
I did this a few years ago and cancelled as soon as my bonus miles posted once I realized how much more I was paying. (It's been so long I can no longer remember what airline I did it through, how many bonus miles I received, and how much I overpaid, but I remember walking away from it with the impression that I was fleeced, and that the value of the miles was nowhere close to how much I had been overcharged.)

Received a postcard a few weeks ago... apparently there was some sort of class action lawsuit filed and there is a pending settlement, so be on the lookout. I think I'm getting $25 back, which is negligible, but it's nothing I was expecting.

I did this bonus 3 years ago with southwest and also just recently got the post card about it but I seem to have lost it. Any chance the card has a weblink so I can access the info? I will take anything back I can as a student .

thanks
Old May 9, 2013, 11:46 am

how prompt is this company is depositing the miles after 2 billing cycles? The next 2 months i will be traveling a lot and expect my utility bill to remain super low, and once the miles are deposited i plan to revert back to my old utility provider.

Right now, i see 25k miles for NJ(for electricity) and 2.5kmiles for gas. Not bad if i can score 27.5k miles and then walk away.

Any thoughts? Anyone had success with the above NJ link? Will i have to call and follow up for the miles or are they prompt about it?

This is the link i am using.

http://www.energypluscompany.com/com...88&gas_pcb=788

found this fineprint.

Miles accrued, awards, and benefits issued are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus program. Please allow 6-8 weeks after completed qualifying activity for bonus miles to post to your account.

Does it actually take that long?

TIA

Last edited by ranjanrocks; May 9, 2013 at 11:51 am
Old May 15, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: AA, UA, SPG
Mine posted in NJ using the above link roughly 4 weeks after I got my second bill from them. Called, cancelled, no problems.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by ycrimi
Mine posted in NJ using the above link roughly 4 weeks after I got my second bill from them. Called, cancelled, no problems.
I'm from NJ too, and just signed up this weekend. How long did it take for you to get the first bill from them after you signed up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.