Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Reliant or Energy Plus AA and UA offers (CT, MD, NJ, NY, PA and TX) [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reliant or Energy Plus AA and UA offers (CT, MD, NJ, NY, PA and TX) [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:35 am

Delta's offer is 20,000 miles after 2 months of paying the bill. Your price is fixed for 1yr at 10.875 per kWh. Can't cancel for 1yr or there is a $100 fee.

link is www.energyplusrewards.com/DELNYFJ

I want to find out what my average kwh cost was over the past 12 months. I'm rarely home, so I dont use much power. If it's within reason, I think switching for a 1yr could be a decent chance for points.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Just want to report that my wife's offer of 25K UA miles posted in time (less than 3 months).
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:03 pm

I've tried hacking the links for both American 20K (what I really wanted) and for the United 20K (both public links are only for NY customers, and I'm in NJ).

American can't be hacked - takes you back to the 5K published offer.

United can be - 20K miles (just take out "NY" and put your state in the link below):

http://www.energypluscompany.com/com...88&gas_pcb=788

I pay very close attention to my electric bill, so unless my bill doubles in month two (standard bill is $250ish) I feel like I'm getting a good deal.

Fiancee and I are both on the bill so might try to churn if it works out.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by TotalNoob
I've tried hacking the links for both American 20K (what I really wanted) and for the United 20K (both public links are only for NY customers, and I'm in NJ).

United can be - 20K miles (just take out "NY" and put your state in the link below):

I pay very close attention to my electric bill, so unless my bill doubles in month two (standard bill is $250ish) I feel like I'm getting a good deal.

How do you know you will get the bonus? Also I tried switching it to NJ but no luck..
Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:36 am

There's a 7 day grace period from when you signup for the service whereby you can cancel it, and I read through the signup docs last night (no cancellation fee after the second month, just need to get them something in writing).

I'm gonna signup, and if they don't get me something in writing saying I'm getting the miles within 7 days, I'm going to cancel.

Sorry about the link above (forum truncated it) - try this one (without punctuation, obviously):

'http://www.energypluscompany.com/combined/mileageplus/nj/?apptype=DM&cellcode=20&campaign=5760&pc=164&pcb=1 64&gas_pc=788&gas_pcb=788'
Old Oct 31, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
More on people's electricity bills doubling here. The word "scam" is used multiple times, though it seems with vigilance, one can get some of the excess charges reversed.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:00 am

Signed up yesterday, sent this email to customer service immediately after:

Hi,
I have a couple of questions:
1) Want to confirm that I receive the 22,500 United Miles ($20K electric plus $2.5K for gas)
2) My current contract expires on 12.2 (with Constellation energy) - is that going to be an issue?
3) What is the contract duration and what (if any) cancellation fees are there?

Thanks,
TotalNoob

Received this response two minutes ago:

Hi TotalNoob,

Thank you for joining Energy Plus®!

I just pulled up your enrollment and see that you are set up to receive an enrollment bonus of 20,000 Mileage Plus miles for your electric account and 2,500 Mileage Plus miles for your gas account. These bonuses will be earned after your accounts have completed two active billing cycles with us. Please allow two to three weeks following your date of earn for these bonus miles to be credited to your Mileage Plus statement.

Your service start date is determined by your local utility so we are unable to set a specific start date when you enroll. Typically you will begin service with Energy Plus at the start of your next billing cycle after you submit your enrollment. This is due to the fact that your utility will not interrupt a billing cycle to change suppliers. We have not yet received service start dates for your accounts from PSE&G.

We do not have any long-term commitments or cancellation fees associated with your accounts. If at any time you find you are unhappy with our services you are free to switch suppliers without incurring any fees or penalties.

Even if they overcharge me by $20 or $30 in month #2, it's still a great deal for 22.5K miles (probably nets out to zero after the 10% savings in month #1). I'm pretty vigilant about my electricity bill (use lots of electric), so I'm not too worried.

EDIT: BTW, if this works I'm going to cancel in two months and try to sign my fiancee up (for United, then if that works, rinse and repeat for the AA bonus)........since there's the 7 day window before it becomes "official", it's akin to a free call option - sign up, email them, and if they say that you're not eligible for the promotion, you cancel within the grace period and nothing changes. No credit pull, no nothing.

Last edited by TotalNoob; Nov 2, 2012 at 9:10 am
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
New AA Offer

I received a new 15k AA miles offer from Energy Plus for NY residents. Don't believe it's targeted. I believe this offer is better than anything EP offered in the past for the following reasons.

1. Fixed, not variable rate.
2. No cancelation fees. Can cancel anytime.

The rate, considering market price is still atrocious. It's 9.875 c/kWh vs 5.921 I paid to ConEd last month. Both rates are before taxes. Taking EP up for their offer would add an extra $10 a month to my quite modest electricity bill. hence the solution. Sign up, get the miles and then see what you want to do. The rates are supposedly going up closer near the summer, so if the gap is still substantial, switch back. You will be out $20-30 for 15K AA miles.

EnergyPlusRewards.com/AAL5832
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:16 am

Programs: Free agent flyer, Hyatt Globalist
Just got a (targeted?) offer for 25,000 United miles (20k after your 2nd month plus an additional 5k if you have a MileagePlus credit card).

The promise a "special promotional supply rate" for the first 3 months which is 5% less than my utility's current supply rate.

No cancellation fees. Rate is variable after 3 months.

Figure I might as well sign up, use it for 2-3 months, get my miles and then cancel. If I time it right, I'll get the 25k United miles for free (plus a 5% discount on my utility bill).
Old Jan 3, 2013, 2:27 pm

electricity contract is ending in about a week so i decided to switch over to energy plus for hopefully just the next few months. thank so much totalnoob for the UA link! i called in to sign up but referenced totalnoob's offer (no promo code but rep was able to look it up); i had previously received the same offer by mail last year which had already expired and i didn't have a current offer so i really appreciate the link showing that the promo still exists! rate in northern nj was 9.74 cents /kwhr fixed rate for the first 3 months which sadly is less than what we're currently paying. was told the 2-3 miles/$1 will only be awarded 12 months after signing up so i won't be holding out for those...
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, WN CP
15K United points for MARYLAND residents

JUst got a mailer for earning 15K points for signing up for Energy plus IF YOU LIVE IN MARYLAND. I know that's rather specific, but points is points. Its 15k for signing up and keeping it for 2 months, 20k total if you are united card holder.
Link:
http://www.energypluscompany.com/ualmd92/
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:17 pm

7,500 AAdvantage miles for switching to Energy Plus (now 20,000)

Brownie, I had the miles from my first bill post already - not sure why you'd have to wait that long (doesn't sound right, might want to try another CSR).
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: AA, UA, SPG
Can anyone confirm that the offers are exclusive of each other? ie; one customer did AA offer then cancelled and switched to PSEG. Can they now sign up with the UA link and get the bonus again?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:35 am

Just had the 20K UA points post to my account.

Rate is $.06/kWh right now, which is almost half of what PSE&G would be charging me ($.11).

So I've saved ~$75 the last two months with them and got an extra 20K+ UA miles.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by TotalNoob

Doesn't work. Replacing NY with PA gives me an offer for only 7500 miles ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.