Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Reliant or Energy Plus AA and UA offers (CT, MD, NJ, NY, PA and TX) [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reliant or Energy Plus AA and UA offers (CT, MD, NJ, NY, PA and TX) [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 3:35 pm

I also go the email offer for 15,000 miles but after seeing the fleecing of rates I have 2nd thoughts as winter approaches and will definitely use alot more heating.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Holly molly. Got my first bill from these guys. $100 TDU delivery charges on top of usage. My TDU charges with Reliant were $6 a month? What the %^&k ?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
Holly molly. Got my first bill from these guys. $100 TDU delivery charges on top of usage. My TDU charges with Reliant were $6 a month? What the %^&k ?
You sound surprised. Have you read the accounts of folks in this and the previous thread? Just call EP and demand to be switched back and credit for the difference in charges. Also remind them they still owe you 15K miles for the inconvinience. YMMV but worked for me last time around.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:02 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mnscout
You sound surprised. Have you read the accounts of folks in this and the previous thread? Just call EP and demand to be switched back and credit for the difference in charges. Also remind them they still owe you 15K miles for the inconvinience. YMMV but worked for me last time around.
Well I'd be Ok with a little higher rate but these "delivery" charges is just wrong. Its like going to fast food and ordering hamburger for 1 dollar but the only way to have is with coke for 5. I'll call them tomorrow and switch back. They can keep those miles.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:09 am
dc3

I signed up and found my bill more than doubled. What a rip off.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
Well I'd be Ok with a little higher rate but these "delivery" charges is just wrong. Its like going to fast food and ordering hamburger for 1 dollar but the only way to have is with coke for 5. I'll call them tomorrow and switch back. They can keep those miles.
...or, you could try and get those miles too
Old Oct 6, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Did they offer anyone a first month guaranteed fixed rate and then variable from second on? I called and they mentioned that, so I just want to know if anyone had similar experience

How long from signing up do you get miles? They told me a range from 3-5 billing periods?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:51 am

I'd avoid ENERGY PLUS, its a scam.

I signed up for Energy Plus to get the 7500 CO bonus miles. Wish I hadn't. The initial rate was the same as ComEd and about 10% higher than other companies. I had read something about no contract being required and that rates were subject to further adjustments.

I thought that there might be a minor increase once in a while, and that is the price you pay for no contract. After ONE month, my rate rose 25%. It rose by a full TWO CENTS. There was absolutely no notice either. Fortunately I looked at my bill closely. So now I am at this ridiculous rate about three cents above the competition. Also the bonus is supposed to post after the second month. By the time it post and I can get a switch done it will be well into my third month.

Also I am not positive the bonus is going to post. My first bill with them closed on 9/7 and posted 9/20. For some reason my second bill closed 10/1 instead of 10/7. Its now 10/19 and no points (regular or bonus). I might just give it until the 21st and cut my losses and switch. It would not surprise me at all if they purposely delay the posting so that those who are going to switch do so and they don't have to award the bonus miles. Fortunately its not that hot and electricity consumption is low right now.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:08 am

Yeah I'm 99% certain it's a scam. Their whole business model is based on the idea that most people don't comparison shop for power and so will be unaware if rates go up. Entice people with a nice bonus for sign up and then slowly let the heat in the pot build up and the frog won't jump out. They'll tell you some mumbo jumbo about changing rates, and how Energy Plus buys from discount providers and sells at variable rates that sometimes are lower than other utilities.

In some cases it seems possible to come out ahead after 2 months. If you use very little power (my bill is about $30/month in NJ) even if your rates go up 50% it's not that much money we're talking about, so for two-three months you might come out ahead.

But I wouldn't do it out of principle; smart consumers shouldn't be supporting such business practices. And even if you're smart about it, we're talking about what, around 10k miles for at a minimum $50 (likely much more). Not a great deal.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:30 am

I've been lurking for a while, thought I would add a little data point here.

I switched fully knowing that the rate they charge is variable. I have CL&P in CT, and previously switched my power generation from CL&P to Discount Power, I was paying $0.093 per KWH. CL&P generation rate was $0.095 per KWH.

I switched to Energy Plus for the bonus AA miles, I can't remember if it was 15,000 or 12,500. Regardless, I got my first bill this month from energy plus and my rate went down over Discount Power, I paid Energy Plus $0.085 per KWH.

We'll see what the second month brings, but once the miles post I will change to a different provider and then more than likely sign-up for the bonus miles under Southwests affialite agreement after a month.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:47 am

I went from PSE&G to Energy Plus. Energy Plus was cheaper for 3-4 months then about $5 more the past few months. I just switched to American Power as their rates were almost .03 cents cheaper per KwH. We will see.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewUVM
I've been lurking for a while, thought I would add a little data point here.

I switched fully knowing that the rate they charge is variable. I have CL&P in CT, and previously switched my power generation from CL&P to Discount Power, I was paying $0.093 per KWH. CL&P generation rate was $0.095 per KWH.

I switched to Energy Plus for the bonus AA miles, I can't remember if it was 15,000 or 12,500. Regardless, I got my first bill this month from energy plus and my rate went down over Discount Power, I paid Energy Plus $0.085 per KWH.

We'll see what the second month brings, but once the miles post I will change to a different provider and then more than likely sign-up for the bonus miles under Southwests affialite agreement after a month.
Got the second bill at the beginning of November and the generation went to $0.143 per KWH. Since I had completed the terms of the offer, I immediately changed my supplier.

Checked my AA account today to see that my sign-up bonus miles posted. My bill in December should be the last one from EnergyPlus. I would say that for the 10,000 I paid an extra $40 towards EnergyPlus.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by AndrewUVM
Got the second bill at the beginning of November and the generation went to $0.143 per KWH. Since I had completed the terms of the offer, I immediately changed my supplier.

Checked my AA account today to see that my sign-up bonus miles posted. My bill in December should be the last one from EnergyPlus. I would say that for the 10,000 I paid an extra $40 towards EnergyPlus.
I'm in Maryland. Here's the relevant data:

1st month [October]
Energy Plus rate: $0.0900/kWh
BGE rate: $0.09037/kWh

2nd month [November]
Energy Plus rate: $0.0890/kWh
BGE rate: $0.09037/kWh

So far they haven't gouged me and have in fact been cheaper than BGE. My 2nd statement closed about four days ago. Haven't seen the Southwest points show up yet though.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I'm in IL. Here's the relevant data:

1st month [October]
Energy Plus rate: $0.0710/kWh
COMED rate: $0.0700/kWh

***this was news to me, I found out that the 2 miles per $ spent is only for the Energy Plus electrical portion, not the total bill (maybe the T&C stated this, I just simply did not know this***
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Any updates from people? I'm in IL, and switched back in September, effective in November. My rates haven't been atrocious, but considering it's winter, I haven't had much need of my air conditioner, which is my biggest power drain, so I called today to get my supplier switched back to ComEd. The rate from my latest bill was $0.099/kWh.

First surprise was they offered to switch me to their Commercial rate, which is still variable but is ~$0.07/kWh, which is what they started me out at ($0.071/kWh).

Second surprise, and more notable, was they offered to switch me to a fixed rate of $0.0594/kWh in return for a 1 year contract with a $50 early termination fee. Now comparatively, that's not a half bad rate here in IL, judging by the available offers on pluginillinois.org, where the lowest is $0.0565/kWh. This seems really tempting, as it's at least 1c less than what ComEd typically charges, and I'd still earn AA miles, however nominal.

Has anyone else gotten this offer or heard of this offer before? I feel like it's too good to be true considering their gouging tactics for their variable rate customers. The agent did say the fixed rate offer was a very new offering made available to customers in my area (Chicago).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.