Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
And I got a call back that it was approved - excellent!

But now it's too late to have them re-evaluate the second app today. Hoping that asking them on Monday to re-evaluate the second app won't be a problem. They were first submitted at the same time, so maybe a re-evaluation won't flag as a non-first-time-cardholder.
Good for you!

I am curious HOW did you find out the account is wrongly flagged? How does that account show up on your credit report, like it is not closed by customer request, but by the bank?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:28 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Happy
I am curious HOW did you find out the account is wrongly flagged? How does that account show up on your credit report, like it is not closed by customer request, but by the bank?
Yeah, but that's not how I noticed - because on my report it's still not listed as negative. It's just the description of why it's closed. But it's listed in the "positive" category, all the history is completely positive, and no one else (Chase in particular) has a problem extending big credit lines.

The only reason I noticed was because they denied this application and no one could clearly explain to me why. If they hadn't denied, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

I'm not sure if it'll change on the credit report but it's changed in Citi's system. At least enough to get me this card.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
I got my first 2 approved a few minutes ago Thanks to all especially Jcmitchell21
...Visa Business next
FYI, this will very likely (as in 99.99% sure thing) result in a automatic denial. The computer itself will do it. You can't apply for more than 2 Citicards in a 60 day period, and CitiBusiness requires 90 days.

They might not run your credit when they auto-deny you, if you're lucky. But, given that you're nearly assured to be denied, and you might end up with another credit inquiry, not sure I'd bother. But, if you like playing the lottery, then I guess you can give it a shot.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
What a fiasco.

These applications were denied because of an old (non-rewards) citi card from years ago, canceled by citi due to inactivity.

Absolutely no negative marks of any kind in any citi history. Concurrently, I have a TYN citi card that is also in perfect standing, with repeated (unrequested) credit line increases.

But given all of this, the fact that the old account was closed by citi - regardless of the reason - means I can never have any other citi card application accepted until it drops off my credit report (6 more years).
Are you sure this is really true? Is this a generalized policy of Citi and other credit companies to deny all credit card applications for 6 years after they have decided to close an account for inactivity?

I've never heard of such a thing before, but it wouldn't be the first time they have shot themselves in the foot.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by thehawk75
FYI, this will very likely (as in 99.99% sure thing) result in a automatic denial. The computer itself will do it. You can't apply for more than 2 Citicards in a 60 day period, and CitiBusiness requires 90 days.

They might not run your credit when they auto-deny you, if you're lucky. But, given that you're nearly assured to be denied, and you might end up with another credit inquiry, not sure I'd bother. But, if you like playing the lottery, then I guess you can give it a shot.

I would agree with thehawk75. I have two legitimate businesses. I made the mistake of applying for the "smaller monthly spending" business first, got approved, then applied for the "big monthly spending" business 2nd and was rejected as already having a business card.

I would dearly like to get a card for my bigger spending business if there is any other way than waiting 90 days +. I did call CS 2X and got the same answer.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, but that's not how I noticed - because on my report it's still not listed as negative. It's just the description of why it's closed. But it's listed in the "positive" category, all the history is completely positive, and no one else (Chase in particular) has a problem extending big credit lines.

The only reason I noticed was because they denied this application and no one could clearly explain to me why. If they hadn't denied, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

I'm not sure if it'll change on the credit report but it's changed in Citi's system. At least enough to get me this card.
I am sure this is a long-fought battle that you won. How did you get to the bottom of it at Citi, given their system seems very messy and no one is empowered for anything, and reveals anything?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrizShel
Are you sure this is really true? Is this a generalized policy of Citi and other credit companies to deny all credit card applications for 6 years after they have decided to close an account for inactivity?

I've never heard of such a thing before, but it wouldn't be the first time they have shot themselves in the foot.
Read further. OP's closed account was wrongly flagged by citi's screwy system - either by miscoding or human error. He finally got that cleared out and he got at least one AA card.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:39 pm
sgb

So the Amex personal spend 1500 get 75K is totally dead? I have both cards already (personal visa and Amex), but I told a friend about it and he wanted to apply.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:02 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Happy
I am sure this is a long-fought battle that you won. How did you get to the bottom of it at Citi, given their system seems very messy and no one is empowered for anything, and reveals anything?
I used classic FlyerTalk methodologies.

Stayed calm and polite throughout, did everything asked, and eventually found a great customer service manager who walked me through everything on all my citi accounts, historic and current, and agreed that it was ridiculous I was in this situation. She must have stuck with it after the call, because she found a way to have it reviewed even after she ran out of ideas in our conversation.

Polite persistence. I was fine with being denied but I really wanted the interpersonal dignity of someone giving me a solid reason. FlyerTalk has taught me that it's ok to go with that strategy.

Incidentally, I ended up calling back to check on the AMEX. Since it was after hours, I talked with an overseas agent with a tenuous grasp of the English language. She seemed to be saying it was also already sent to be re-evaluated, and I'd hear in 7-10 days. We'll see.

EDIT: Incidentally, it took 8 (or 9?) conversations... but they really are nice people...

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Jun 17, 2011 at 9:10 pm
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sgb
So the Amex personal spend 1500 get 75K is totally dead? I have both cards already (personal visa and Amex), but I told a friend about it and he wanted to apply.
He can get the 4K version. Same deal except additional spending.

Unless, of course if you could magically bring up the application page without error message.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used classic FlyerTalk methodologies.

Stayed calm and polite throughout, did everything asked, and eventually found a great customer service manager who walked me through everything on all my citi accounts, historic and current, and agreed that it was ridiculous I was in this situation. She must have stuck with it after the call, because she found a way to have it reviewed even after she ran out of ideas in our conversation.

Polite persistence. I was fine with being denied but I really wanted the interpersonal dignity of someone giving me a solid reason. FlyerTalk has taught me that it's ok to go with that strategy.

Incidentally, I ended up calling back to check on the AMEX. Since it was after hours, I talked with an overseas agent with a tenuous grasp of the English language. She seemed to be saying it was also already sent to be re-evaluated, and I'd hear in 7-10 days. We'll see.

EDIT: Incidentally, it took 8 (or 9?) conversations... but they really are nice people...
I agree with you. The interpersonal exchange is how we get a re-consideration on the C1 100K application that is instantly rejected by computer right after online submission. We firmly believe the card should be approved so a denial is not acceptable to us (we have sizable assets at C1 banks.)

Our initial phone calls all went nowhere but an accidental find from google search led me to use twitter to contact C1 and things improved drastically from there thanks to an extremely helpful social media team member at C1. Not only the card was approved on the 3rd day after we talked, but with the maximum CL C1 offered for the Venture card.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
For those who got the Amex with $1,500 spend even though they used the $4,000 spend link, did you apply to this card right after the $1,500 personal Visa and in the same browser window? I am trying to establish a pattern.
Well, I thought this was the case for me, as I posted earlier, but it may not be. When I called the "application status" number and got approved for the amex, the rep confirmed that the spend was 1.5k/6 months (even though that link was not working by then.). At the time I assumed that it was somehow because I had clicked on the 1.5k/6 month link many times while it was still live. I had cleared cache, cookies, history, and applied for the 2 cards in different browsers, one right after the other. But, yesterday when my amex arrived and I called to activate it, I spoke to a person in order to verify bonus and spend and was told that it for 4k/6 months. I had all the info from my earlier conversation (date/time of call, name of rep, ref.#) and he has put in a request for a review. I'll be getting a letter in 7-10 days with the verdict.

We'll see.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 7:19 am

Programs: US, AA, UA, SPG, HHonors, PC
Musicgal, I'd be leary about about asking them to make an inquiry about whether you should get the lower spend threshold. These are expired offers. If we draw too much attention to Citi higher ups about these offers still being available someone will eventually notice they are expired and pull the plug. On a more individual level Citi could review your case and tell you both offers are expired and you don't qualify for the 75k bonus. You confirmed you will get the 75k miles. Buy coins, etc to meet the spend threshold and move on to the next card. Just my opinion.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL
Originally Posted by XStAnt
Musicgal, I'd be leary about about asking them to make an inquiry about whether you should get the lower spend threshold. These are expired offers. If we draw too much attention to Citi higher ups about these offers still being available someone will eventually notice they are expired and pull the plug. On a more individual level Citi could review your case and tell you both offers are expired and you don't qualify for the 75k bonus. You confirmed you will get the 75k miles. Buy coins, etc to meet the spend threshold and move on to the next card. Just my opinion.
^ Agreed 100%.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by XStAnt
Advise noted, thank you. I think the request for a review was submitted while I was on the phone 2 days ago; should I call back, politely say I was mistaken and try to get the review canceled? Or at this point just wait it out?
Any advice from more experienced members welcomed and appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.