Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by vortix
I received my personal AmEx and Visa 75k cards. My Visa card is interesting, however. Normally when you flip a credit card over, the "top" of the credit card is along the same edge on the front as it is on the back. However, everything on the back of this Visa card appears to be printed upside down. The magnetic strip is still located in the correct spot, though all the text on the back of the card is upside down. The "citi" logo on the back of the card appears upside down directly behind the "Visa" logo that appears on the front of the card. Even the flying bird hologram on the back is upside down.

Is this normal, or did they botch up my card when they made it?
Yikes, they've accidentally sent you the Australian version of the card! If used in the northern hemisphere it will not work properly and you will incur large foreign transaction fees, so watch out!

Yeah mine's the same way at $1,000 and counting trust me it works just fine...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Then why isn't my new Citi AmEx set up with the text on the back of the card upside down? This "problem" only affects my new Citi Visa card. I applied for both on the same day, and received them both a few days ago.

I'm talking about flipping the card from left to right. On all my other credit cards I've ever had throughout my life, the text on the front and back of the card is oriented correctly when I flip the card over left to right. My new Citi Visa is only oriented correctly when I flip the card over top to bottom.

Does this make sense, or do I need to put pics (with my CC # removed ) up here?
you probably know a way but if you do not, you could use shutterfly to put pics here or a blog or website, or you could use a site called issuu.com. On there you can scan in something and then convert to pdf. then load the pdf into your issuu acct and convert it to a link by embedding. I used bit ly to make the link smaller when I did this. Put that link here and everybody can see what you scanned.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
i am still not understanding exactly how the cc companies approve/disapprove applications. i applied for both the business and personal visa cards. the business got denied b/c i have a couple of cards with currently high balances (statement just closed, haven't paid it yet ) and yet i get approved for the personal card.

not complaining about the approval just amused that NOTHING changed between the two applications. once again, i find this whole process does not make sense. will try for the business in a few months if another offer comes along. AFAIK, it is 2 cards/60 days or is it 90 days? off to research.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: MTA NYCTA Super Plutonium Elite
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Yikes, they've accidentally sent you the Australian version of the card! If used in the northern hemisphere it will not work properly and you will incur large foreign transaction fees, so watch out!
Ohh -- it's Citibank SOUTH South Dakota.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA, United, BA, Delta, MR, SPG, PC
Normally when you flip a credit card over, the "top" of the credit card is along the same edge on the front as it is on the back. However, everything on the back of this Visa card appears to be printed upside down. The magnetic strip is still located in the correct spot, though all the text on the back of the card is upside down.
I guess we are running out of topics to discuss...hopefully, the next good offer comes along quickly
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:36 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
I actually noticed the "flipped" feature of the card as well. Interesting at first, but it wore off after about 5 seconds. If it works, it works, it's just a different design.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
At least the mag strip is in the right place, otherwise it would be truly annoying to use in a lot of scanners as the labeling would be backwards...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got denied for the following reason:
"This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi/AAdvantage cardmembers. Our records indicate that you previously had a Citi/AAdvantage account with us."

OK, what am I missing here? I know just about everyone here has had an AAdvantage card before. In the past I've had one Mastercard and one American Express, but I've actually never had a Visa, and the card I applied for was the Visa. I called them and spoke to a supervisor, and they insisted that the application decision was correct.

Anyone have any insight?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
"This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi/AAdvantage cardmembers. Our records indicate that you previously had a Citi/AAdvantage account with us."

OK, what am I missing here? I know just about everyone here has had an AAdvantage card before. In the past I've had one Mastercard and one American Express, but I've actually never had a Visa, and the card I applied for was the Visa. I called them and spoke to a supervisor, and they insisted that the application decision was correct.

Anyone have any insight?
Lucky,

Citi does NOT distinguish types of cards (unlike the practice of Chase). Citi only distinguish the Categories of cards - personal and business.

No, on this thread there are many posters who do NOT have AA cards before. The Majority of the posters on this thread seem to be very new to the CC bonus game.

You are one of the unlucky ones who hardly churned much (only 1 AA card each type) but got denied for not being first-time customer. Those folks who have had many AA cards in the past while being jealous, really could not complain because they have gotten many bonuses in the past, except that it took months to get what now people got in one month only.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM

Anyone have any insight?
Sadly, you've fallen onto the 'filter' list. I know you can come off it, since I had that reason a year ago, but, did manage to successfully get these cards recently during the promotion.

BTW 12 months is not the magic number to get off the 'already had an account with us list'. No one knows, as some got a card only 10 months ago and then got a successful application during this promotion. Others, however, who hadn't had the card in years still got rejected with the same reason.

If you're on the list, there's apparently no logical argument you can make that will allow the supervisor to accept the application.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks very much Happy and thehawk75! Certainly not what I wanted to hear, but I know there aren't any more reliable posters on the subject than you two.

Quite frustrating, since I actually last applied for Citi cards over two years ago (June of 2008). I canceled the two cards over a year ago, and they still denied me.

I assume one of those reconsideration letters that ingy always talks about wouldn't help in this case?

Thanks again for the help...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks very much Happy and thehawk75! Certainly not what I wanted to hear, but I know there aren't any more reliable posters on the subject than you two.

Quite frustrating, since I actually last applied for Citi cards over two years ago (June of 2008). I canceled the two cards over a year ago, and they still denied me.

I assume one of those reconsideration letters that ingy always talks about wouldn't help in this case?

Thanks again for the help...
Not necessarily. In your case I would try the ingy letter because you have just 2 cards so long ago.

Like thehawk75 said, there is no logic whatsoever. It is almost like sheer luck whether one's name on the list or got off the list if one has had AA cards before.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:16 pm

Does US Mint coin purchases are still treated as purchases? I read that AMEX gift cards are treated as cash advances..Any input will be helpful
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pyrotalk
Does US Mint coin purchases are still treated as purchases? I read that AMEX gift cards are treated as cash advances..Any input will be helpful
Here is a good thread to find your answer.

Quick answer: some do, and some don't. Look at the FAQ mentioned in post #1 of the above thread. There is a list of cards that do not work.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Platinum
As there are new citi AA offers out, think we can sign up again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.