Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are Delta's SkyMiles called SkyPesos?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are Delta's SkyMiles called SkyPesos?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
If anyone would use a search function first before starting a new thread, we would have a lot less repetitive questions / redundant threads on FT...
Shouldn't the moderators police this and combine threads?

Also, why is thread in MileBuzz and not in the Delta forum (sorry if I missed the answer to this already)?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Shouldn't the moderators police this and combine threads?
You do realize the moderators are 100% volunteering their time, dont you?

If threads like this nature started by newbie every week or every other week, how much time you expect the mods to spend to "police" such?

It isn't like the mods can just flip a switch and merge threads, you know?

S
Also, why is thread in MileBuzz and not in the Delta forum (sorry if I missed the answer to this already)?
A lot of times because newbies dont care to spend time to study FT structure and find the correct forum to post their questions.

Had they spent some time to read threads in DL forum, they would have learned how difficult it is to redeem DL awards and no need to ask around in this forum.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 5:31 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by mooper
Seriously though... I'll bet there are many on CC who would accept that offer readily. Snag some AA miles via the 35% bonus offer and some card bonuses (35K miles with no fee is floating around right now) and then spin them into twice as many DL miles that can be easily used for 2+ CPM trips, even better when last minute, within the contiguous 48 states. Awesome!
I would certainly take up on the offer when I have the need. In fact my game plan is to find what I need, use it up.
I will be happy to trade DL : AA 2:1 in large amounts when I next need DL redemptions.
The problem is school leave and leave from work!
I am going (x6) Aug to EU, Nov to Central Asia and Mar to Greece. All on the pesos - 100k -120 x 6 each.

At the proposed rate of transfer, 20k SPG = 33k AA = 66k DL, I only need 40k SPG to go across the world almost!
I will certainly keep these generous offers in mind. What stops me is that my status on DL - DM gives me free award redeposits. So if my long range plans get cancelled, I can just fix it with a phone call instead of paying 150$ a ticket. So the 2:1 ratio is too low for me to give up my miles and even if offered 2 SM, I would be hesitant unless the CP was a PM or DM, as it is not high enough.

I had a trade earlier when DL had a 50% promo. My Amex MR 3: 2 SPG.
For my 150k Amex MR, I would get 100k SPG = 125k AA at that time.
I could also transfer the 150k Amex MR and get a 40% bonus on DL = 210 DL.
I thought a bit with all the negative hype of DL, but then decided to go with the DL, a decision I have not regretted.
If there had been a 35% bonus on AA, I might have gone with that to get to MM earlier perhaps.
210k DL = 5 mid levels awards, 125 on AA = 5 low awards.
When I do get a 25k low in DL, I am only paying the equivalent of 15k on AA for a RETURN trip.
I am waiting for the award tickets upgrades as well to be implemented.

Don't forget - when you earn large amounts in pesos and spend small amounts in pesos, it is tiny amounts in dollars and cents. I go to Asia for travel and after a while I understand that when prices are low there in Rupees or Baht, then it is a great bargain. When I went to NZ a NZ dollar was US 70c. I knew then that when a shirt cost me 10$ in the US, it would cost me 14-15$ in NZ. I do not complain that I can't find a good shirt for 10 $ in NZ, which I can in the US!

Last edited by ffI; Jul 10, 2010 at 5:41 pm
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
A lot of times because newbies dont care to spend time to study FT structure and find the correct forum to post their questions.

Had they spent some time to read threads in DL forum, they would have learned how difficult it is to redeem DL awards and no need to ask around in this forum.
Right, but moderators move threads all the time. Forums are littered with "Moved" threads.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:33 pm

It is near impossible to redeem a saver level award with DL Skymiles.
(1) I find it pretty darn easy to use DL Skymiles to find a roundtrip domestic routing SJC-SEA on Alaska Airlines. I wonder how difficult it would be to get CDG-SEZ or similar routing?
(2) But yes, I've been following these threads on DL Skymiles with much interest for months now. This is my very first contribution to one of these threads. I'm in general agreement that a better value can be had with other airlines. I for one, much rather prefer CO first class over DL first class. For starters, employee attitudes are superior on average.
(3) Did this thread get 9 pages of follow-up in just one week???
Having followed the threads, I've been draining my DL Skymiles. I just booked two nights of hotel in central Munich, Germany using 16000 DL Skymiles.
(4) The latest Delta inflight magazine talks about a significant change coming up soon with regards to DL Skymiles redemption. Supposedly, it's supposed to get easier. Any thoughts or existing threads regarding that?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Freshness Guaranteed

This "newbie" started this thread, and you know what, I'm proud of it. If this was such a mundane and tired question, then why have regulars and newbies alike posted 7+ pages of actual content (notwithstanding these type of broo-ha-ha replies).

The mods could have easily moved this thread to SkyMiles at the beginning, but either chose not to or didn't realize. That's neither here nor there, actually. Numbers don't lie. And the number of views and replies to this thread suggests that I did ask a relevant and fresh question.

Last edited by JIM_Travel; Jul 10, 2010 at 9:49 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by JIM_Travel
This "newbie" started this thread, and you know what, I'm proud of it. If this was such a mundane and tired question, then why have regulars and newbies alike posted 7+ pages of actual content (notwithstanding these type of broo-ha-ha replies).
To be fair, making a thread on FlyerTalk about the value of SkyMiles is like making a thread about Xbox v. Playstation on a video game board or Mac v. PC on a computer board. Sure, you'll probably get 100+ replies, but hardly any of the information is novel or valuable. It doesn't make the question any less mundane or tired.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
...the number of views and replies to this thread suggests that I did ask a relevant and fresh question.
I've seen thousands of attractive women, but every time I see another, I still pay attention and try to get involved.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Exactly

Originally Posted by mooper
I've seen thousands of attractive women, but every time I see another, I still pay attention and try to get involved.
Exactly. Because looking at the attractive does not get tired.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

I learned something

Originally Posted by mosu84
To be fair, making a thread on FlyerTalk about the value of SkyMiles is like making a thread about Xbox v. Playstation on a video game board or Mac v. PC on a computer board. Sure, you'll probably get 100+ replies, but hardly any of the information is novel or valuable. It doesn't make the question any less mundane or tired.
Well that seems absurd. If the question is mundane or tired then surely the experts would not be replying with wordy information as has been done in this thread. This may become the definitive SkyPesos thread; and if so, then it was worth starting this thread even if a bit repetitive.

That said, I think we have gotten off topic.

I went against the grain and booked my business class flight with DL, even with all the negativity.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:50 pm

One thing all of us need to do is to post links to threads such as this one on all the travel related boards we can think of. Let's give Jeff Robertson and his team of pirates at DL all the publicity they deserve for their changes at SkyPesos.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 1:26 am

Well that seems absurd. If the question is mundane or tired then surely the experts would not be replying with wordy information as has been done in this thread. This may become the definitive SkyPesos thread; and if so, then it was worth starting this thread even if a bit repetitive.

That said, I think we have gotten off topic.

I went against the grain and booked my business class flight with DL, even with all the negativity.
lol, don't break your spine by patting yourself on the back too hard.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 7:48 am
Original Poster

A bit of tongue in cheek really. But in all seriousness, I think we are making too much of the repetitiveness issue. Like one person said, someone could have easily put a link to another thread that was similar and we could have continued our discussion there. But, no, it was determined we would have a good discussion in this thread.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:23 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
A bit of tongue in cheek really. But in all seriousness, I think we are making too much of the repetitiveness issue. Like one person said, someone could have easily put a link to another thread that was similar and we could have continued our discussion there. But, no, it was determined we would have a good discussion in this thread.
All we need are the following for a good discussion. Throw in a sampling of -
skypesos, I hate Delta redemptions, GUWonder, mooper, and you can start a good thread going for a while.
At times you can even add Jeff Robertson, Best in Class, and the best of all Shena Nigans"
Then watch the words fly, relax, get your coffee and popcorn and enjoy.

After a few days, a new OP can start another one with the same menu.
I apologize if anyone else feels they have been left out of the menu. I will be happy to add them.

Shouldn't the moderators police this and combine threads? Also,
why is thread in MileBuzz and not in the Delta forum (sorry if I missed the answer to this already)?
I reserve the right to restart this on the CO forum or the US forum if it ever loses interest in the DL and MilesBuzz forums.

Last edited by ffI; Jul 11, 2010 at 11:30 am
Old Jul 11, 2010, 2:16 pm
Suspended

I think the same can be said for post #15 (first sentence).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.