Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Miles Ethics Question

Miles Ethics Question

Old Nov 27, 2009, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Miles Ethics Question

I am curious as to where folks will land on this one.

I recently received a receipt from a hotel for a stay in my name for which I was credited with points in the hotel's FF program. I have never been to this hotel, and upon calling, I learned that someone else with the same name as me checked into the hotel. At check-in, the other person didn't know their program number so the desk clerk looked it up, but inserted my program instead of the actual customer's. The points are enough to get me a free room which might cost $200 if I paid for it.

Several months have passed and given what came up during my call, it may be that the real customer travels a lot and has overlooked the points missing in their account.

So the question is: Should I call the program and point out the error?

And for those who say no, would your answer change if this instead involved $200 credited to my checking account?

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Nov 27, 2009 at 5:23 pm
Old Nov 27, 2009, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
When you called the first time, did you point out that you didn't stay there and that you didn't earn the points? If you did and the hotel still didn't do anything, AFAIC, you have fulfilled your obligation. If they only told you that they looked up "your" number but you didn't tell them that it wasn't actually you, you owe them a chance to sort it out.

No. In fact, if it were a bank, I'd insist that they do it. Money errors can be a nightmare to sort out.

Mike

Mike
Old Nov 27, 2009, 6:29 am

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
If you found a wallet with $200, would you try to find the owner?
Old Nov 27, 2009, 7:05 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Personally, I would send an email to their customer service detailing the situation and asking them to investigate. After that, it would be out of my hands. Most likely they will never remove the points... but I would have no problem if they did.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 7:09 am
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Lurch
If you found a wallet with $200, would you try to find the owner?
That is an inappropriate question. Of course one would. Of course the wallet would likely have the owner's address in it. Otherwise, I'd give the wallet to the police, who have the resources to find the owner.

In the original poster's (OP) case, s/he does not have any contact information, so s/he cannot try to find the guest with who rightfully earned the frequent stay points.

The OP's obligation only extends to (1) contacting the hotel (which has been done) and (2) contacting the frequent stay program. Beyond that, what more can be done?
Old Nov 27, 2009, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by wharvey
Personally, I would send an email to their customer service detailing the situation and asking them to investigate. After that, it would be out of my hands. Most likely they will never remove the points... but I would have no problem if they did.
this is exactly what i did when 53,000 starwood points appeared in an account that normally carries a balance of 0. i got a nice reply thanking me for my honesty, and the points disappeared a week later.

after all, who knows when it (thousands of points missing) might happen to me?
Old Nov 27, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Of course you need to contact the hotel program office. You probaby knew the answer before you asked the questions. Having ethics is something like being pregant; you are or aren't; you have them or don't. After you call the program you have fulfilled your requirement and will sleep better at night.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I would, and in fact have, returned points/miles in this situation in the past.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:40 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by gejone
Of course you need to contact the hotel program office. You probaby knew the answer before you asked the questions. Having ethics is something like being pregant; you are or aren't; you have them or don't. After you call the program you have fulfilled your requirement and will sleep better at night.
^

Doing the right thing often gets you bupkis...in a material sense.

But, it's the karmic that matters anyway--which is why the OP asked the question, right?
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:42 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Having ethics is something like being pregant; you are or aren't; you have them or don't.
A tad simplistic, and far from reality.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
And for those who say no, would your answer change if this instead involved $200 credited to my checking account?
That's a very particular case: if you know or should have known that money deposited into your bank account isn't yours and you take it out anyway, it's stealing from the bank and you can go to jail for it. This has happened to more people than you might think (although usually for more than $200). Nobody's going to jail over extra FF miles that just appear in your account.

And, I do think an earlier poster's claim that ethics are like being pregnant is overly simplistic. While one should always have ethics, it's not always clear what the ethical thing to do is.

If it were to happen to me, I would write a letter to the frequent guest program giving the facts as you know them and then be done with it. If you don't hear back from them, and a reasonable period of time passes (perhaps 6 months or whatever amount of time the program allows for missing stay credits), I'd consider them bonus points and spendable.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by CPRich
I would, and in fact have, returned points/miles in this situation in the past.
Ditto
Old Nov 27, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Once, I have received a check from a company that owed me $280. The check was for $36k. I called them right away and sent the check back. A year later they have sent me a letter, that they sent me $36k by mistake and if I don't return it, they will sue me. I have called back and clarified.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 1:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Having ethics is something like being pregant; you are or aren't; you have them or don't.
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
A tad simplistic, and far from reality.
I agree. Ethics is often subject to interpretation and you may interpret ethics differently than I. The OP's original question is appropriate.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 2:36 pm

similar question/situation:
I got bumped from a UA award flight (cancellation) and onto a DL flight under Y. I claimed ~3600 miles from Delta. I felt bad afterwards, and haven't used them yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.