Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] VA: LAX-SYD $484 all-in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] VA: LAX-SYD $484 all-in

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2008, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by kdinino
In the same boat -- I nailed the $484 RT fare booked everything fine (or so I thought) and have yet to see a charge post to my AmEx or a pre-authorization and no email confirmation yet. It's been 3 days... so I'm guessing I missed the boat.
I used my AmEx and haven't seen a charge or a pre-auth or an e-mail either.

But I am not assuming I "missed the boat" just yet - I have a reservation number, and a printout of my confirmation page from the V Australia Web site that says "CONFIRMED" in green. How can they deny that, especially as MatthewLAX has stated, V Australia "would be honoring all the tickets"?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Riot_Nrrrd

But I am not assuming I "missed the boat" just yet - I have a reservation number, and a printout of my confirmation page from the V Australia Web site that says "CONFIRMED" in green. How can they deny that, especially as MatthewLAX has stated, V Australia "would be honoring all the tickets"?
From my conversation with VA earlier, I would not worry. The agent I spoke with also stated that while the deal was active, their call center was flooded with calls from people asking if the prices were legit ! Perhaps we need not be so worried about secrecy on this board.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 2:11 am

Programs: AC *P
Originally Posted by needtofly
Alright.. alright... we called, they were able to confirm our itinerary woohoooooo. The rep was very helpful, the call was routed to Brisbane.

While on the phone, we asked about seat assignments and the stopovers. Seats will be assigned but we have to call a different number to arrange the stopovers.

Woooohooo we are going to Australia!!! Thanks again OP ^ ^
Great to hear this.

Pls let us know how the stopovers can be had. The only non-stop flights are to SYD and BNE. I assume you have a LAX-SYD-LAX booking and I would be curious to know whether:

1) you can add say a stopover in BNE so that it is LAX-BNE-SYD-LAX or LAX-SYD-BNE-LAX, or

2) though not as easily done, you can go LAX-SYD-MEL-LAX so that SYD becomes the stopover and the destination has been changed to MEL.

Thanks.

2)
Old Oct 26, 2008, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I am deeply disturbed right now and 100% regret buying the ticket now that UA prices have dropped to $740 in May.

I called V Australia and confirmed that this was indeed an internet-only fare mistake but that VA would be honoring all the tickets.

BTW, cancellation is free within 24 hours of booking a ticket with VA. I missed the cutoff.
Don't despair. I also need *A points/miles but I jumped on this deal too. I am now trying to make the best of it by trying to add stopovers which would not have been possible with a UA fare.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 2:49 am

Programs: QF Gold
Yay its 1800 for us aussie's

Why do all companies (even aussie ones) hate us ? (qantas have had similar fares in the states and 2200+ from australia)
Old Oct 26, 2008, 4:26 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by mudd_stuffin
Don't despair. I also need *A points/miles but I jumped on this deal too. I am now trying to make the best of it by trying to add stopovers which would not have been possible with a UA fare.
I agree. The stopover option is attractive, and while the current UA fares are great, I'm happy to be going in March rather than May. (Not to say I won't be going back in May on UA....)
Old Oct 26, 2008, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
They did not. I will try again.
Good luck
Old Oct 26, 2008, 9:17 am

Programs: SPG, NW Worldperks
Well, that's a good sign: I did have the charge post to my Amex account w/ a transaction data of 10/23. Maybe someday I'll get an email confirmation.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Riot_Nrrrd
Ditto. No email & no charge yet...
Old Oct 26, 2008, 4:37 pm

Update:

My cc has been charged, emails have been received (the rep on the phone sent them to us), seats have been assigned.

After talking to the reps regarding the stopovers, I'm getting conflicting information. First one says, she has not heard of stopovers . Second rep says because our flight is a direct flight, there is no stopover opportunities for us. Not sure if this is due to the new service being offered so the reps are not trained or if what they are saying is true.

I have searched and read uaustralia.com inside and out, there is no good explanation how the stopovers work.

Has anyone tried to call and inquire about the stopovers? it clearly states that v saver fares are entitled to 2 free stopovers, but it doesn't say exactly how that work...
Old Oct 26, 2008, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1P, DL Gold, SPG Gold
needtofly,

I was also told by a vaustralia phone rep that I am not able to receive any free stopovers due to taking two direct flights (LAX-SYD & SYD-LAX). I probably would have booked differently if I had thought about potential stopovers (i.e., I would not have booked two direct flights). But, given the low fares, I won't lose any sleep over not having stopovers...

Last edited by jhflyer; Oct 26, 2008 at 6:04 pm Reason: clarification
Old Oct 26, 2008, 5:29 pm

stopovers

Originally Posted by jhflyer
needtofly,

I was also told by a vaustralia phone rep that I am not able to receive any free stopovers due to taking two direct flights (LAX-SYD & SYD-LAX). Since my vaustralia trip isn't until July, I figure I have plenty of time to see if this is correct or incorrect...
Not sure what you guys are so confused about, my idea of a stopover, is that of an en-route stopover, if you have a direct flight, there is nothing you can stopover on. On the other hand, if you have a LAX-SYD-BNE fight, then there is potential to stopover in SYD on the way to BNE.

I think perhaps you are getting confused with the concept of a 'side trip'. Which the agents are correctly saying don't exist/aren't possible.

Anyhow, if u do want some other trips, they aren't expensive in oz - and a few carriers to choose from:

http://www.virginblue.com.au
http://www.qantas.com.au
http://www.jetstar.com.au
http://www.tigerairways.com.au
Old Oct 26, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: SPG, NW Worldperks
Especially cheap given how low the Australian $ has fallen lately. It's currently at 1.64:1, a big change from earlier this year when it was 1.01:1.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 7:12 pm

Thanks all for the info, I'll check them out.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by jhflyer
needtofly,

I was also told by a vaustralia phone rep that I am not able to receive any free stopovers due to taking two direct flights (LAX-SYD & SYD-LAX). I probably would have booked differently if I had thought about potential stopovers (i.e., I would not have booked two direct flights). But, given the low fares, I won't lose any sleep over not having stopovers...
I booked around three hours into the sale window. At the time, I did not see flights other than non-stops.

I will place a call later to see if one can pay US$100 change fee to re-route from LAX-SYD to LAX-BNE-SYD (assuming availability of course). If one beats me to it, pls let me know.

Thx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.