Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) Europe £1 o/w a/i on Ryanair!!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(FARE GONE) Europe £1 o/w a/i on Ryanair!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2008, 3:23 am

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
Don't forget that there will be an extra fee (12€ /oneway/one piece on the german site) if you want to travel with luggage. Only one piece of hand-luggage is included in the price.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 5:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by sultanbinaber
Don't forget that there will be an extra fee (12€ /oneway/one piece on the german site) if you want to travel with luggage. Only one piece of hand-luggage is included in the price.
What is defined as "hand luggage"??

Are all carry-on pieces (regardless of size or weight) charged at the 24 Euro RT rate as well?

I can't figure out what the all-in cost really is, an internet search just leads to a maze of confusing information. Like this one:
http://www.m-travel.com/news/2008/01...r-increas.html

Which says in January they increased the rate to 6 Euros per bag Jan. of this year, so they have DOUBLED the fee again since then?

Perhaps Ryanair has so many fees that in the end they are more expensive for most trips than more conventional airlines. Maybe it is better to use them for day trips to another European city from your base, you don't need any luggage for a day trip. Or have your luggage shipped separately.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sultanbinaber
Ah yes the Ryanair small print - suddenly that £1 flight is fast becoming not so tempting after all.

To be fair if you are just using them point to point for a day trip or weekend jolly they are actually quite good. I wouldn't rely on them for a positioning flight or for catching a connection unless you give yourself a couple of days in between just in case something goes wrong.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by GrizShel
What is defined as "hand luggage"??

Are all carry-on pieces (regardless of size or weight) charged at the 24 Euro RT rate as well?

I can't figure out what the all-in cost really is, an internet search just leads to a maze of confusing information. Like this one:
http://www.m-travel.com/news/2008/01...r-increas.html

Which says in January they increased the rate to 6 Euros per bag Jan. of this year, so they have DOUBLED the fee again since then?

Perhaps Ryanair has so many fees that in the end they are more expensive for most trips than more conventional airlines. Maybe it is better to use them for day trips to another European city from your base, you don't need any luggage for a day trip. Or have your luggage shipped separately.
Re: hand luggage

Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted. (handbag, briefcase, laptops, duty free etc must be carried within your permitted 1 piece of cabin baggage).

Re: extra fees & charges
From the Ryanair terms & conditions...

(Disclaimer: I've left out lots of terms & conditions & just taken the relevant points to the fees payable)

- Passengers travelling on a reservation with checked baggage are required to check-in at the airport and are subject to an airport check-in fee of £4/€5 (or local currency equivalent) per person/per one way flight.

- Checked baggage booked online is charged per bag/per one way flight at a discounted rate of £8/€10 for the first bag and £16/€20 for each additional bag/ per one way flight. If checked baggage fees are paid either at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre, the standard rate of £16/€20 per bag/per one way flight will apply.

- Any passenger exceeding their 15kg personal checked baggage allowance will be charged the prevailing fee on the day of travel. The excess baggage fee is currently at the rate of £12/€15 per kilo (or local currency equivalent).

- Each passenger checking in at the airport is subject to an Airport Check-In fee per one way flight of £4/€5 (or local currency equivalent) which is payable at the time of flight reservation.

So in a worse case scenerio if you are not an EU citizen (and therefore must check in at the airport) travelling with 1 checked in suitcase you'll have to pay
- airport check in 5 euro
- checked baggage fee - 10 euro (1 bagged, booked prior to flight)

so you can automatically add another 15 euro to your one-way flight. For a return it's now 30 euro. And don't forget the 4 euro credit card booking fee, also charged each way even if you book a return flight so that's potentially another 8 euro - all up you can be looking at another 38 euro for a return flight for 1 person. If two people are flying, double that again. It's not hard to see how Ryanair make their money.

Saying all of that though, I live 20 min from SNN and Ryanair have a number of flights from there and even paying all the extra charges it still works out cheaper and easier for me to fly them (for weekend breaks) than drive the 3 hours each way to Dublin to get a flight. If I know I'm going to have more luggage, then I will fly out of Dublin with someone like BMI instead.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by bcmatt
Just as an aside before this gets moved to the Budget forum - in fact ALL credit cards AND debit cards (with the exception of the not very common Electron) incur a charge £4 per person per flight (two people on a return flight = £16 ).
I've read complaints on TripAdvisor that all too often the Electron payments fail to go through, driving you to pay with a Visa/MC/etc that incurs the fee which magically works!
Old Oct 3, 2008, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Fraser
I've read complaints on TripAdvisor that all too often the Electron payments fail to go through, driving you to pay with a Visa/MC/etc that incurs the fee which magically works!
Having been awarded a Masters in Ryanology by the office , I can confirm that my Electron Visa card - procured exclusively to patronise Mr O'Liary - works splendidly.

The evidence is a series of GBP0.04 transacttions in my statement for purchases of 'free' round trip flights for the two of us. The 'free' flights (last week's offer) actually cost GBP0.01each, thus incurring credit card payment surcharges , yet the Electron Visa card ensures just the GBP0.01 is charged.

Stick to the rules - online check-in, print your own boarding pass, hand baggage only - and it works.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by mel.b
....So in a worse case scenerio if you are not an EU citizen (and therefore must check in at the airport) travelling with 1 checked in suitcase you'll have to pay
- airport check in 5 euro
- checked baggage fee - 10 euro (1 bagged, booked prior to flight)

so you can automatically add another 15 euro to your one-way flight. For a return it's now 30 euro. And don't forget the 4 euro credit card booking fee, also charged each way even if you book a return flight so that's potentially another 8 euro - all up you can be looking at another 38 euro for a return flight for 1 person. If two people are flying, double that again. It's not hard to see how Ryanair make their money.
Thanks for a super post that organizes the most salient points of their fee structure. Sounds like they are good for a day shopping trip, and if I have time to go to a post office, I can save by mailing any purchases over 15 kg instead of flying back with them. But it does have a very low-class feel flying with such an airline (alas, I fear major US airlines are nowadays moving distressingly rapidly towards the Ryanair model. )
Old Oct 5, 2008, 7:57 am

Programs: thai, virgin, emirates, priority club
Originally Posted by Roger
The 'free' flights (last week's offer) actually cost GBP0.01each, thus incurring credit card payment surcharges , yet the Electron Visa card ensures just the GBP0.01 is charged.
that is sneaky of ryanair!

ian.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 5:07 am

I would fly ryanair again if I was flying alone and it was a short (<1hr) flight. If you're 2+ people I would avoid them. The "every man for himself" mad dash for seats is fine if you're alone and don't care what seat you get -- just sit back and wait until there's no queue and then take whatever's left. But it's a real hassle if you're more than one person and want to get seats together or if the flight is long enough that you care about where you sit.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 5:37 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
The last sale was cheaper. £0+0 tax.

FR are only good for one thing - going to places that the flag-carriers can't be bothered to, when you need to go there.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by tristan727
The last sale was cheaper. £0+0 tax.
That's certainly how it was marketed. Today's offer (until Thursday) is identical, though with fewer routes on offer than last time.

However, FR's engine cannot deal with £0.00 and offers 'free' flights at £0.01. See my comment above about this menial amount attracting payment fees. A round trip for most cardholders costs a minimum of £16.04 for two people for the 'free' flights.

I've just booked a round trip STN-DUB for a total of £0.04 - four pence for the two of us - using my Electron Visa card. It's a day trip and we'll go for lunch and shopping. Unless it's raining.

Usual caveats: OLCI, hand baggage only.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Roger
It's a day trip and we'll go for lunch and shopping. Unless it's raining.
I've never bought a ticket so cheap where it wasn't worth turning up at the airport if it was raining!
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:06 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Grr. Free my @$$. Taxes and fees came up like 60PLN...
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA-Plat, SAS Gold, Marriott-Gold, Hilton-DIA,SPG-Gold
do they service beren norway ?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA-Plat, SAS Gold, Marriott-Gold, Hilton-DIA,SPG-Gold
cheap airline in norway

Hi,
Any ideas for a cheap airline in Norway, looking to fly Oslo to Bergen ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.