FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - (FARE GONE) Europe £1 o/w a/i on Ryanair!!!!!
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:12 am
mel.b

Originally Posted by GrizShel
What is defined as "hand luggage"??

Are all carry-on pieces (regardless of size or weight) charged at the 24 Euro RT rate as well?

I can't figure out what the all-in cost really is, an internet search just leads to a maze of confusing information. Like this one:
http://www.m-travel.com/news/2008/01...r-increas.html

Which says in January they increased the rate to 6 Euros per bag Jan. of this year, so they have DOUBLED the fee again since then?

Perhaps Ryanair has so many fees that in the end they are more expensive for most trips than more conventional airlines. Maybe it is better to use them for day trips to another European city from your base, you don't need any luggage for a day trip. Or have your luggage shipped separately.
Re: hand luggage

Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted. (handbag, briefcase, laptops, duty free etc must be carried within your permitted 1 piece of cabin baggage).

Re: extra fees & charges
From the Ryanair terms & conditions...

(Disclaimer: I've left out lots of terms & conditions & just taken the relevant points to the fees payable)

- Passengers travelling on a reservation with checked baggage are required to check-in at the airport and are subject to an airport check-in fee of £4/€5 (or local currency equivalent) per person/per one way flight.

- Checked baggage booked online is charged per bag/per one way flight at a discounted rate of £8/€10 for the first bag and £16/€20 for each additional bag/ per one way flight. If checked baggage fees are paid either at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre, the standard rate of £16/€20 per bag/per one way flight will apply.

- Any passenger exceeding their 15kg personal checked baggage allowance will be charged the prevailing fee on the day of travel. The excess baggage fee is currently at the rate of £12/€15 per kilo (or local currency equivalent).

- Each passenger checking in at the airport is subject to an Airport Check-In fee per one way flight of £4/€5 (or local currency equivalent) which is payable at the time of flight reservation.

So in a worse case scenerio if you are not an EU citizen (and therefore must check in at the airport) travelling with 1 checked in suitcase you'll have to pay
- airport check in 5 euro
- checked baggage fee - 10 euro (1 bagged, booked prior to flight)

so you can automatically add another 15 euro to your one-way flight. For a return it's now 30 euro. And don't forget the 4 euro credit card booking fee, also charged each way even if you book a return flight so that's potentially another 8 euro - all up you can be looking at another 38 euro for a return flight for 1 person. If two people are flying, double that again. It's not hard to see how Ryanair make their money.

Saying all of that though, I live 20 min from SNN and Ryanair have a number of flights from there and even paying all the extra charges it still works out cheaper and easier for me to fly them (for weekend breaks) than drive the 3 hours each way to Dublin to get a flight. If I know I'm going to have more luggage, then I will fly out of Dublin with someone like BMI instead.