Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

LAX-NAN (Nadi, Fiji) - $51 all in - Travelocity! (fare gone - discussion only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-NAN (Nadi, Fiji) - $51 all in - Travelocity! (fare gone - discussion only)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2005, 1:19 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
I'm not confident enough to answer but this I do know: Southwest does not fly to SFO (nearest alternative is OAK, access to SFO via AirBart and BART).
Old Apr 6, 2005, 1:37 am

Agree on SWA

Originally Posted by choster
I'm not confident enough to answer but this I do know: Southwest does not fly to SFO (nearest alternative is OAK, access to SFO via AirBart and BART).
I agree... mainly looking to find out that I live in LA. For the price of the ticket I'm willing to skip the SFO-LAX and return trip since it's more of a pain. Would think that if I don't show up on the United SFO-LAX flight, i'd be considered a no show and it'd be done. Don't think Air Pacific cares how I got to LAX, just that I'm there....

Thanks for the help...
Old Apr 6, 2005, 2:21 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by phattire
1st time post - newbie to the site. Please be gentle!

I booked the flight in question through Travelocity early this afternoon. Received an email with my Travelocity Trip ID and the confirmation codes for each flight (PHX to LAX) then (LAX to Fiji). Looked like a done deal. My wife and I were stoked to say the least. Well, tonight we received a call from them saying they could not book the flight. There were no more seats at this price. They could offer me other seats on the same exact flights, but these would cost us $2,800.00 dollars!!! I argued with them for over an hour and they never did budge.

Just wanted to vent and see if anyone could offer me any assistance or guidance in trying to get them to eat the additional cost of the tickets. My total cost with shipping the tickets was $487.85. I think they should pay the difference, but they sure don't!

Thanks!
I too did consider booking these flights, it was a great offer even for me starting my journey in Europe. Unfortunately, I couldn't go because of the 6 day min stay. What I'm trying to say is that I try to get on deals like these as much as anyone (I even post some mistake fares myself like here and here).

What I don't understand though, is why you would argue for more than an hour about getting this fare? It is clearly a mistake, and if you missed it, you missed it. There is no reason being petty, when taking advantage of a mistake. If didn't get an issued ticket, you should in my opinion simply accept it. But if you do get an issued ticket, then by all means, do fight for it!
Old Apr 6, 2005, 2:37 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Originally Posted by PappaG
If didn't get an issued ticket, you should in my opinion simply accept it.
and wait for the next price error - you'll get that one presuming you're interested enough to check the forum every now and again. Only one I've missed recently (most I get priced but don't book as can't go) was MAN-LAS for £249 in business, as was abroad then.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 2:43 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Harvey108
I have been an attorney for 14 years and I wanted to comment on
the issue of whether Travelocity and/or Air Pacific would try to
reverse the sale. ...
Thanks for this brief, Harvey. I was wondering about some of the issues you mentioned. I'd like to add that Travelocity seems to be very good about honoring these tickets. I returned from Tahiti two weeks ago on the ridiculously low fares discussed on FT in December. Some people on this board had predicted that Travelocity would rescind, that the airlines would refuse checkin, that gate attendants all over the world would harrass me with these cheap tickets, and none of it turned out to be the case. I think we're good to go.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 4:12 am

Travelocity.ca refused to ticket me - as far as I can tell, the .ca office doesn't have FJ plates, so they queued the PNR to the .com USA office, and in the interim the fare got pulled. It would appear those who purchased directly from .com got auto-ticketed without human intervention.

Note to self - deal directly with travelocity.COM next time.

No hard feelings - congrats to all those who got in. Thanks to channa for the heads-up.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 4:30 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
My active reservations seemed to disappear, at 11:59pm last night. Per Travelocity the "airline" did not ticket us, and cancelled the booking. They indicate there was no credit card authorization per the airline.

The authorization issue is not accurate, as I checked with my card issuer about six hours ago and they did transmit authorization, right about the time the fares were available (I booked at roughly 10:05am PDT).

Whatever... I can't get too worked up over this. I did not want to get into any sort of discussion with Travelocity on details, in fairness to other FT'ers.

Congrats to those who are able to get the tickets issued.

Last edited by Craig6z; Apr 6, 2005 at 4:56 am
Old Apr 6, 2005, 4:41 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

C'mon FedEx guy...ring my doorbell!

My envelope from Travelocity departed the FedEx Memphis hub at 1:25am. ^
Old Apr 6, 2005, 5:03 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
Our tickets show at FedEx hub in FLL

Apr 6, 2005 5:40 AM

At dest sort facility

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fl

1:18 AM

Departed FedEx location

MEMPHIS, TN

12:55 AM

Arrived at FedEx location

MEMPHIS, TN

Apr 5, 2005 9:08 PM

Left origin

SAN ANTONIO, TX

9:01 PM

Picked up

SAN ANTONIO, TX
Old Apr 6, 2005, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
No to Suva, Sheratons are on mainland

Suva has a bit of a reputation for being potentially dangerous, indeed an Australian official was recently assaulted there and this resulted in a travel advisory! The Sheratons while undoubtedly nice are on the mainland and there are other more island-like options in the Wasaya group and elsewhere. Octopusresort.com is the site for where I stayed in Jan '05. Very nice upper scale budget resort. If you use awesomeadventures be warned that many backpackers use their services. This is not a problem for the boat access, it is a nice boat and quite large but for accoms you can end up at the busier places - do some digging, you will have a more authentic experience. I did!

PS - Congrats to all those that have apparently scored on this one ^
Old Apr 6, 2005, 5:51 am

Talking Thank you All, Previous Fiji Visitor

Bula! -- Fijian for Hello

I would like to give a HUGE hug to Channa and Craig. I am actually a Slickdealer and this deal was cross-posted over in the SD forum yesterday. Since my wife and I spent our honeymoon in Fiji and I knew the price of the ticket (we're talking a 95% off sale) , I immediately jumped this May 21st - May 28th.

We actually flew Air Pacific last time. Their 747s are a little older, they actually fly leased hand-me-downs from the major carriers so don't expect the creature comforts of the newer 747s but be prepared to sleep a lot. The flight out is the easiest part because you sleep most of the way, I think all of the Air Pacific flights out of LAX take off at 11:00 PMish.

For those of you that want to spend your wad, I would suggest visiting Nukubati Island. My wife and went there on our honeymoon and it was truly an incredible experience. If you would like to see pictures you can go to our website www.grantandcourtney.com.

Also, since I can't attach the document to this forum I have uploaded a page to our website that discusses weather, attire, ettiquite, and some local Fijian words (don't worry, everybody speaks english).

Also, for those of you that are looking for accomodations and have no idea about Fiji, I would suggest our travel agent from that trip Judy McKenna. Judy goes to Fiji regularly so she is pretty gifted in knowledge of all the hotels and resorts in and around the area.

Destination World
Judy McKenna
323 S. Borchard Drive,
Ventura Ca. 93003
http://www.romanticfiji.com/
http://www.destinationworld.com/

Tel: 800-536-0022
Email: [email protected]

To all those who helped find and put us back on a trip to Fiji I say Vinaka --thank you!
Old Apr 6, 2005, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by DONS999
Is there a reason you got two tickets for yourself .
Let's just say that I don't fit into a coach seat very well. Why not buy the extra space when they are practically giving it away? Having endured 5 hours squeezed into a single coach seat to KEF last year, I doubt I'll make that mistake again!
Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:04 am

Well, despite showing a confirmed seat on checkmytrip.com, my reservation wasn't ticketed. The explanation from travelocity was that "the price has gone high". I am angry to say the least. The friend I was going to go with had no problems, so I hope at least he, and the rest of you enjoy Fiji.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
good idea

I wish I had thought of that. Under all the chaos at the time trying to buy tickets, pick a week, worrying about actually getting the tickets, then trying to snake an award from starwood, it never crossed my mind to buy myself an extra seat or two.

On another note, did this fare work in reverse? NAN-LAX? if so, did anyone try to buy back to backs in order to circumvent the 6 night min??? again, I didn't think of that till someone mentioned it to me last night

Originally Posted by dhacker
Let's just say that I don't fit into a coach seat very well. Why not buy the extra space when they are practically giving it away? Having endured 5 hours squeezed into a single coach seat to KEF last year, I doubt I'll make that mistake again!
Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:25 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Originally Posted by dhacker
that's a good idea - going to make a mental note now to buy 3 seats for me & the missus during the next $0+tax pricing error. Would I get extra miles? Would think so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.