Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA: Mega Mileage run - incl FLY04, EUR04, JPN04, etc...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: Mega Mileage run - incl FLY04, EUR04, JPN04, etc...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2004, 10:27 am

Just a thought - from the wording of the german AA website, one could get 5k for the first EUR04 segment, 10k for the second, and get a B fare for the third scoring 30k on the third r/t.

There is a LHR-ATL B fare for 820$ I discovered ...

So for 200$ extra, you could get another 15k plus more Q-points.

I know that the discussion in the AA board suggests they count as two seperate promotions, however the german rules clearly state that the max. bonus earned is 60k - not 90k (30 V+-fares plus 60 B/Y/J-fares). So I think I can talk them into the extra 15k if only 15k post for the third r/t.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:07 am

Programs: AA PLAT, friends' couches EXP
wanaflyforless,

When you come through HKG in march, shoot me a message. I would recommend that instead of spending a night in a hotel, you should stay out all night with a bunch of exchange students (myself included) studying here in HK. The subway starts running about 6:15am (last airport line leaves at about 12:45am) and you can take it straight to/from the airport for about $12USD.

Heck, if you like, you could even spend one of the nights in Macau. The jetfoils run all night and you might even be able to offset some of your travel costs.

Since you are giving up so many precious weekends for a noble cause, you owe it to yourself to make up for lost Chicago nightlife.

Old Feb 20, 2004, 9:40 pm
Val

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 Million Miles
Did not mean to sound as critical as it may have come off. I think what you are doing is cool.

You just caught me off guard when you said "I might shoot for 1K on UA," and I just thought where the heck does a student get this kind of money? More envious than anything. I believe you had said the AA runs were going to cost you $7500, and I cant imagine having spent that kind of money on my own travel when I was in college.

Toss in UA 1K, and we are talking serious dough.

As for AA, they put the system in place. If they dont like what you are doing, I say they can stuff themselves

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wanaflyforless:
Actually... This isn't just for the sake of flying... but to increase the value received for total $$$ spent on tickets.

My (American) family lives/works in a place where the cheapest economy tickets to/from the USA are $1800-$2400 (consolidator price). AA partners fly there. It costs 75K miles for an award ticket. Award availability is pretty good. You do the math.

I wish I had the kind of money to afford to make EXP by buying a "DONE4 for around $4200, fly BA/QF/CX high quality International Seat Beds Business Class ATW-for 66,666 miles including 3 AA short US Internal sectors or around 4,666 miles and BINGO make EXP" as a few FTers reportedly do. Instead, I have to do a painful amount of flying in coach...

I am not rich - just saving my family money some big $$$, the hard way (painful amount of flying). A lot more money than I could earn working a college job.

And I won't worry about AA - not very many people are willing to do what I am for this. And they did recieve a signifant amount of money from me they wouldn't have otherwise. (Family would have purchased ticket from competition, not AA if I weren't doing this).
</font>
Old Mar 6, 2004, 12:17 am

Bump.

Because this is an ambitious itn, eevn if a little excessive and a great thread.

To the Original poster,

Please private e mail me, I seem to recall that you plan to be through NYC in mid March.

I'd like to post a lunch or dinner in manhattan on "community " board. Its seems the least that the NYC delegation can do.
Old May 21, 2004, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Arrow :D :D :D I'm Back! :D :D :D

Yes, that was a LOT of flying!

January 24 --> March 31(9.5 weeks) I flew:

179,993 but in seat miles!
But the first 5.5 weeks were easy. My real Marathon didn’t start until March 2nd. From 6pm on Wednesday, March 2nd through 4pm on Wednesday, March 31st (4 weeks) I flew:
100,736 miles on AA
10,962 miles on CX
10,122 miles on UA.
Grand Total: 121,820 miles in 29 days
And you call ME excessive?

Originally Posted by writetorich
a little excessive
Actually, it was a fun challenge!

And I do Wonder:

[SIZE=2]Is 121,820 flown miles in a month record?

Or 100,736 flown miles in a month on a single carrier a record?

I also had 10 non-flying days in March, except for my two week Spring break went to classes, did assignments, studied and took tests. What did I do on my flights? 2 things: Study, and sleep.

And I enjoyed my 26 hours in NRT, my 36 hours in HKG, my 20 hours in NYC, my 20 hours in MIA, etc. I actually did have fun!

All in all,
I earned 747 thousand AA miles from January through March from my flying with the related bonuses!

(Funny it should happen to be my favorite plane type! )

I spent a total of $8940.19 on my AA tickets – so 1.196 cents per AA mile.

But my real cost includes all my travel expenses and related expenses too. My total costs, including my UA travel and everything related was $10677.57. I earned 747 K AA miles and 27K UA. So 1.379 cents per mile. Still not bad.

Also, I received 4 worldwide vouchers, two domestic vouchers, and 8 VP upgrades (maybe more, depends on how AA responds to my letter).

Would I do it again? YES!

Why? Because miles have value to me!

I use miles for necessary tickets I or others would have had to pay cash for if miles were not available.

I guess I’m just mile hungry…
Old May 22, 2004, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Part 2

And if anyone was wondering, yes I have already redeemed more than 500K AA miles this year. Contrary to ILUVCITIBANK’s opinion, AA miles still have value. They can still be used for what would be expensive itineraries. Given, if a flyer doesn’t need flights that would be expensive, then miles don’t have the same value.

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Wow - if you have that much money to spend, why do you need the miles?
No I don’t have that much money to spend. I did have that much money to invest.

Family and friends needed tickets that would have cost far more than $10K. The tickets for which I redeemed 500K this year would have already cost more than $10K – but I still have many miles left because of my MEGAA mileage run. By year end, these miles will be gone and hopefully replaced with more inexpensive miles.

My family works in Africa as missionary Bible translators. By using miles for their and other missionary friends what would be very expensive tickets, I save them a lot of money. They will also help me out with my school fees as they are able, enabling my education. In the end, it all works out.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
This could make for The Mother Of All Trip Reports!
Yes, it would make an excellent MEGAA trip report. But unfortunately I don’t have time now, and didn’t have the energy to write about it while flying. I needed my sleep.

Some of my highlights included 5 visits to CX’s First Lounge – a few times the Wing, a few the Pier. Wow!

I also greatly enjoyed my time with FTer repoman in HKG! Thanks repoman! He even took over into mainland China for a half a day!

And I enjoyed a wonderful tour in Japan. Many of my days consisted of 20 hours on a plane (not exaggerating), but I gave myself enough breathers for it to be fun.

I even got free room and board (on planes and in lounges)!

I spent many short nights in airports (didn’t sleep for safety reasons). As I usually arrived around midnight and departed around 6 am there wasn’t really that much time doing nothing. I had my laptop with me, many books, and Bose headphones. What more could a man want? I spent some of this time getting awards with hard to redeem (ie DL) miles for my internship in Burkina Faso this summer. I am flying into Ouagadougou! Then I would sleep on the planes during the day.

My total food expense for all of my traveling was $34.40. I’m not a fussy eater but feel I ate well – especially in CX’s lounges (even NRT has decent food).

Originally Posted by writetorich
Please private e mail me, I seem to recall that you plan to be through NYC in mid March.
I'd like to post a lunch or dinner in manhattan on "community " board. Its seems the least that the NYC delegation can do.
Thanks so much writetorich!

Unfortunatly, I was gone to SFO/BOS/LAX when you posted this and I didn't see it in time. I appreciate your thoughtfulness! I spent a lot of hours hangind out at JFK.
Old May 22, 2004, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Part 3

Originally Posted by tvl4free
Nobody got it, I guess.
The correct response was, 'MEEEEE.' You needed MEEEE for this one. LOL.

Again, thanks for the interesting read/ride. May you get all ur status and miles - and then some.
Thanks tvl4free!

Yes – I got all my miles – and status is just icing on the cake.

If I remember right, you emailed me and I replied asking for whatever assistance you could give me, but maybe I didn’t give you enough time?

I would greatly appreciate whatever assistance you could give me in the future. Yes, I hope to do this kind of MEGAA run again!

Originally Posted by rbAA
$7500 is way too much. Look at AA's A fares SFO-FPO at $500 RT and nest it in a cheap ORD-SFO RT. Also, LAX-LHR in M is $529 plus/graft. SJC-HKG is $890 in M but the NRT-HKG is codeshare, so you are not getting the maximum benefits there.

ORD-LHR in M is only $469 and can be done leave on Sat return on Sun, cutting down the on the ground costs. Routing via MIA generates 11,200 actual miles, so it gets your cost down to about 5 cents/status mile.....

Keep in mind that you can get LH M&M SEN status for about $1500. All these promos do is tell you that the miles are not as valuable as they once were.

P. S. I forgot to mention that you could get a RTW OW product for less and actually save some money. Maybe not as targetted to the promos (as you will have a hard time getting to Oz or from Asia to Europe on AA) but a better deal.
If you or anyone else can ever find a way for me accomplish my goal in the future for a lower cost per mile, I would be very, very grateful. But I really don’t know how I could have done it for less.

I only had weekends and spring break. I had to fly as much as possible in the least time possible for efficiency and to avoid additional travel costs. So this excluded any fares with minimum stays and midweek fares. They also had to be V or higher. With the exception of the low DUB M fare that appeared a couple weeks after I made my bookings (and I couldn’t have possibly known it would appear), I think I got the best qualifying fares existent.

I could have done better on upgraded deep discount domestic fares after making EXP – but there was no way to know upgrades would continue earning the bonus.

What I want is cheap miles. Making LH Senator would give me relatively few miles – and LH miles can’t do the awards I use most. If you know of a OW RTW that could give me anywhere near the number of AA miles I earned (747K) for a similar cost – sign me up, now! I’ll pay commission! Especially if I could earn the miles sitting upfront!

I have a feeling people like tvl4free and rbAA could find a way of earning these miles for less – but I just can’t figure it out!

Looking at some of the best MRs fares I’ve seen recently:

AA/AS $210 total YVR-LAX-JFK retrun ($137 base fare) 14K w/ elite bonus

UA $200 total DEN-ORD-ANC return ($156 base) 15K miles w/ elite bonus

AA $450 total JFK-SJC-NRT-SJC-JFK ($410 base) 31K miles w/ elite bonus

These all come out to something like 1.4 – 1.5 cents per mile. Not better than I did (1.2 cents per mile).

I realize some promos allow someone to earn a bunch of cheap miles, cheaper than I did. Like the Jaguar BA promo, netting some with 50K almost free miles, or the AS fall promo, allowing some MRers to earn 100K miles at far less per mile than I did.

My question is: Do you FT experts know how to earn not just 100K but say more miles than I earned at a lower cost/mile? After all expenses have been included in a similar amount of time?

Here’s a breakdown of my costs (includes all travel and related expenses January - March:

Tickets
AA tickets:
$ 495.49 ORD-LHR
$ 728.10 ORD-LGW
$ 622.10 ORD-LGW
$ 626.10 ORD-LGW
$ 698.20 ORD-LHR
$ 698.20 ORD-LHR
$ 341.20 ORD-SFO
$ 276.70 SFO-BOS
$ 336.70 BOS-LAX
$ 336.70 BOS-LAX
$ 474.20 JFK-NRT
$ 189.70 ORD-JFK
$ 1,004.50 JFK-HKG
$ 963.50 JFK-HKG
$ 963.50 JFK-HKG
$ 185.30 ORD-LAS

Food
$4.80 McDonalds Chicago
$3 Family Restaurant Boston
$21.10 Tokyo
$2.50 Miami
$3 Hong Kong
Total: $34.40

Hotel
$117.95 Boston
$59.33 Tokyo
$66.78 Miami
$49.13 Hong Kong
Total: $293.19

Transportation:
Chicago L – to and from airports: $1.75 x 14 = $24.50
JFK-LGA at 1 am – Supershuttle: $20
Citibus HKG $7.12
Total: $51.62

Miscellaneous
$325.16 Bose Headphones
$2.84 Batteries
$183.99 Travel Insurance
$ 75 Just for fun
$ 4.32 Aspirin (blood thinner)
$ 28.26 Tour in Japan
$8 Tips
$40 1 AA upgrade
$30 Phone calls (aprox)
Total: $697.57

UA tickets
$ 330.30 JFK-SFO
$ 330.30 JFK-LAX
UA $ spent: $660.60
UA miles earned: 27,244

AA $ spent: $8940.19

Grand Total: $10677.57

And just to remind everyone, my MEGAA run:
MDW-DFW-LGW-DFW-MDW
ORD-MIA-JFK-LHR-JFK-MIA-ORD
ORD-DFW-LGW-DFW-ORD
MDW-DFW-RDU-LGW-RDU-DFW-MDW
ORD-MIA-JFK-LHR-JFK-MIA-ORD
ORD-SFO-BOS-LAX-BOS-LAX-BOS-SFO-ORD-MIA-JFK-LHR-JFK-MIA-ORD
ORD-LAX-JFK-NRT
NRT-SJC-JFK
JFK-MIA-ORD-NRT-HKG-NRT-ORD-MIA-JFK
JFK-LAX-JFK
LGA-DFW-SJC-NRT-HKG-NRT-SJC-LAX-JFK
JFK-SFO-JFK
JFK-SJC-NRT-HKG-NRT-SJC-ORD
ORD-LAS-ORD

If there are ways to earn miles at lower costs, please teach me! I would love to learn!

I already know about Charter One gift cards, Visa Buxx cards, the Points.com EBay Anything Points promo, etc. But all of these are very limited in how many cheap miles they will net.

I’m mile hungry!

How do I get more cheap miles?
Old May 22, 2004, 2:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
179,993 but in seat miles!
don't you mean "butt?"

congrats. sounds amazing.

and, what are Visa Buxx cards (please provide link)?

thx!!

Last edited by fly co to see the yanks; May 22, 2004 at 2:23 am
Old May 22, 2004, 5:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Wow.....that's a LOT of miles

At 1.196 cents per miles you've done quite well

The cheapest trips I've been able to do the last couple years have all been in the 1.1-1.2 cents range, so you've hit about rock bottom in total return for the dollar. Having said that, I'm glad I have the entire 12 month period to build my miles. I'll have just short of 100K over 6 months at the end of June, which is more to my liking. I'm not sure my aging body could handle that many flights in such a short period

Tom at DFW on the way to RDU this morning
Old May 22, 2004, 7:26 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Very impressive.... I couldn't begin to contemplate such a journey. Did you ever (or do you now) feel any sort of disorientation or other ill effects from flying so much in such a short period of time (in coach)?
Old May 22, 2004, 8:52 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Congratulations on completion of your runs ^ .

I certainly understand the investment logic behind your runs. As long as you have a plan for the miles it certainly is a nice trade to accrue status while earning miles for award tickets.

I have done a couple of turn-around runs to Singapore putting in 18,000 miles in 48 hours in a middle seat. It is grueling, but once you've paid your dues to get elite status it is much easier to complete future runs. With good planning you will be able to earn a much higher percentage of your miles from the front of the plane.

I was just curious how you earned AA 1M status prior to these runs. Did your family fly you all around as you grew up or what?

Again congratulations and enjoy your travels.
Old May 22, 2004, 9:07 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
You may have already looked into the UA Washington, D.C. promotion and be considering that for a future set of runs.

IAD-SFO-LAX-LAS or a similar itinerary at about $240/Roundtrip. You need to get to 50,000 flight miles for PremEx status for 100% bonus. Assume 6,000 miles roundtrip x 2 (PremEx bonus) = 12,000 UA miles/roundtrip.

Add 1,000 miles booking bonus = 13,000 miles/RT. Complete 24 trips = 312,000 UA miles and 48 credits (good for 3 systemwide roundtrip tickets or trade a business class Around the World ticket to someone for a few Africa tickets).

24x$240 = $5,760. It is not as good a return as what you earned, but it is one of the best opportunities out there right now for earning a good portion of miles and award tickets.

With your track record you could do 48 roundtrips over the next year and make a good trade for a couple of RTW C class tickets if you didn't need them yourself.

This is just a simple example. There are cheaper ways to earn the bonus with less mileage accrual.
Old May 22, 2004, 10:28 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
wanaflyforless,

This has been a great thread to read/follow. I think you did very well and the 1.2-1.3 cent per mile is pretty close to some of the best deals around.

Have you done the 2 AA domestic fly 3 fly free yet? or are you missing a few round trips? Just a small idea for some fast cheap miles and maybe top off the missing round trips:

JFK-SFO are on the 2x miles bonus till end of May and are available for $216. So with your EXP, you should have
5156 Elite miles and
16,756 total miles at
1.29 cents per mile.

If you don't fly over a Sat, they should also count towards the fly 3 fly free promotion...

Happy flying,
Mary
Old May 22, 2004, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by satori
You may have already looked into the UA Washington, D.C. promotion and be considering that for a future set of runs.
Thanks satori!

Yes - I have had my eyes on this promo but haven't been able to work it out at a low enough cost/mile yet. Is the Systemwide ticket offer combinable with the 2500 bonus offer? I am already UA PremEx (comped, will fly for 1K this year if there is a good enough offer) so will get that bonus. If anyone has any ideas that work out around 1 cent per mile I'm all ears!
Old May 22, 2004, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Snoopyo
Have you done the 2 AA domestic fly 3 fly free yet? or are you missing a few round trips? Just a small idea for some fast cheap miles and maybe top off the missing round trips:
Actually, I lucked out on this one. The trips I had already booked more than qualified me (many of them didn't have a Sat night stay). All I had to do was register! One of the challenges of a run like mine is for effeciency I couldn't use Sat night stay fares.

Your right - JFK-SFO has got to be one of the best runs out there right now. With free upgrades on 767 its tempting - but availability isn't good enough to give me any sort of efficiency. I would have to spend two days in between some days....

Has anyone else matched the double miles offer (UA)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.