Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2023 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2023, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary

Need 4000+ MQDs?
If based in a city that is served by Virgin Atlantic such as IAD, JFK, BOS, MIA, LAS, LAX, SFO one of the best options is to fly to JNB or CPT via LHR. This can be done in a weekend and you can usually earn 4-5000 MQDs for under 1300-1600. You need to select Economy Delight which is similar to regular economy but with more legroom and the possibility of earning 20% of distance as MQDs. This is the most common way to earn large chunks at a cheap price.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2023, 12:38 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond

On behalf to the Mileage Run Moderator team, I would like to express our thanks to the many FlyerTalkers who have risen to the challenge and helped so many members with their helpful suggestions. These consolidates threads made managing the year end traffic much smoother. Hopefully, all were successful with their runs.

Follow the instructions in the wiki and post your answers to this thread.

Pat89339 on behalf of the Mileage Run Moderator team
ebayj, jfkeze, metalblaze and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:57 am

Hi, I'm taking a trip to Cape Town and trying to maximize my MQDs. Thanks for your help.
Departure Airport: JAX but can reposition
Miles Needed: Trying to Max MQDs
Required Spend or Budget: $2500-$3000
Available Travel Dates: Around March 9th to March 17th
Old Jan 4, 2023, 10:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by Fl Fly
Hi, I'm taking a trip to Cape Town and trying to maximize my MQDs. Thanks for your help.
Departure Airport: JAX but can reposition
Miles Needed: Trying to Max MQDs
Required Spend or Budget: $2500-$3000
Available Travel Dates: Around March 9th to March 17th
If flexible around dates Premium Economy Tampa to Cape Town from $1705/1800 30% of distance as MQDs! 6243 MQDs a remarkably good value, you can also look into Economy Delight which gives 25% of distance as MQDs but it's a regular economy seat

DeltaGoldLass likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 11:57 am

Hi -

am on Platinum Status Match and need to get 18.7K MQMs (and around 2.2K MQDs). Open to destination.

Departure Airport: SAN
Miles Needed: 18.7K
Required Spend or Budget: $1K or so
Available Travel Dates: open - needs to be done before late March.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta
Departure Airport: CMH or CVG
To: FCO or Naples
MQD Needed: 2500+
Required Spend or Budget: Preferred to use mileage, 500,000 Skypesos for both tickets or less
Available Travel Dates: June 9-17
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: DL or any partner

Sorry for my ignorance here - but is it possible to search by miles outside of delta?
Old Jan 6, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by ctoni222
Departure Airport: CMH or CVG
To: FCO or Naples
MQD Needed: 2500+
Required Spend or Budget: Preferred to use mileage, 500,000 Skypesos for both tickets or less
Available Travel Dates: June 9-17
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: DL or any partner

Sorry for my ignorance here - but is it possible to search by miles outside of delta?
If aiming to spend Delta miles and get MQDs , it needs to be on Delta metal if not mistaken and you get about a penny MQD value...
If looking in cash maybe some Premium Economy ticket could work, but of looking to spend miles it's really Delta.com... if not mistaken
Old Jan 6, 2023, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by finkel98
Hi -

am on Platinum Status Match and need to get 18.7K MQMs (and around 2.2K MQDs). Open to destination.

You can do three TIJ - CUN runs in Aeromexico business class at $336 each trip. Earns about 6600 MQMs and $1700 MQDs per trip.
Google Flights link Price available for most days in the first half of March
FluxTZ likes this.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Jan 6, 2023 at 6:41 pm
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:07 pm

Thanks for the tip! Dumb question - how are MQDs calculated? a $336 ticket worth $1700 MQD?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:26 pm

Thanks for the tip! Dumb question - how are MQDs calculated? a $336 ticket worth $1700 MQD?
When flying on a Skyteam partner airline, the MQDs are calculated based on distance flown and class of fare. You can check out the Delta webpage giving the MQM and MQD earnings for the different airlines for the different fare classes here

For the TIJ - MEX - CUN - MEX - TIJ trip, the distance flown is about 4400 miles. Aeromexico business class fares earn 40% MQDs so 4400 x 0.40 is $1760 MQDs (I rounded down to $1700.)

Ciudad Juarez (CJS) earns slightly more MQDs at about $1900. Business class tickets from TIJ are in $351 range for March. For some variety you can fly to both
jfkeze likes this.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Jan 7, 2023 at 2:35 pm
Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Hi -

NM

Last edited by FluxTZ; Jan 7, 2023 at 2:54 pm Reason: Another poster answered.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 10:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
AM earning W fare

I'm doing a plat challenge and would really appreciate it if someone could confirm and check my math - if I book an AM flight in W fare class I'll earn 150% MQM/25% EQD based on miles flown, right?

JFK-MEX-EZE is <!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->13,720 miles according to milecalc. This would earn <!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--> 20,580 MQM and $3,430 MQD on AM crediting to DL?

I found a "PE" W fare for $1,374.25 which seems like the best option to meet the requirements of the challenge from BOS/NYC area. I was planning on VS to JNB but I'd much rather go to Buenos Aires since I'll be working remotely for the week and the time zone is much closer.

Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by joachimm
I'm doing a plat challenge and would really appreciate it if someone could confirm and check my math - if I book an AM flight in W fare class I'll earn 150% MQM/25% EQD based on miles flown, right?

JFK-MEX-EZE is <!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->13,720 miles according to milecalc. This would earn <!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--> 20,580 MQM and $3,430 MQD on AM crediting to DL?

I found a "PE" W fare for $1,374.25 which seems like the best option to meet the requirements of the challenge from BOS/NYC area. I was planning on VS to JNB but I'd much rather go to Buenos Aires since I'll be working remotely for the week and the time zone is much closer.

Thanks
The earnings you listed match what is on the Delta website for Aeromexico W class

However the distance for JFK - MEX - EZE - MEX - JFK is slightly off. According to several mileage calculation websites (unofficial skymiles calculator, great circle mapper, webflyer), the distance is around 13,348 miles which would mean earning $3337 MQD and 20,022 MQMs
joachimm likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:51 am

Hey gang happy new year, looking for ideas for MQD opportunities—

Departure: NYC
Needed: flexible, maximize MQDs
Required Spend or Budget: flexible, whatever gets best ratio
Available Travel Dates: flexible, March or early May ideal

If there's a way to look for the latest previous/existing recommendations from NYC let me know; have been reading through the 2022 thread but it's a bit hard to follow
Old Jan 9, 2023, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by mhtncoh
Hey gang happy new year, looking for ideas for MQD opportunities—

Departure: NYC
Needed: flexible, maximize MQDs
Required Spend or Budget: flexible, whatever gets best ratio
Available Travel Dates: flexible, March or early May ideal

If there's a way to look for the latest previous/existing recommendations from NYC let me know; have been reading through the 2022 thread but it's a bit hard to follow
Currently, the best options from JFK are Virgin Atlantic Economy Delight or Premium Economy to JNB / CPT. If you are willing to take a position flight to Tijuana, then there are various options on Aeromexico in business class from there - see discussion here. Also, take a look at the Premium Fares Deals forum for other ideas.

With China opening up again, the China Eastern flights from JFK (and other locations) may be coming back
chunmin and DeltaGoldLass like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta MM+ DM trusted traveler, goes, Marriott, IHG SPG. NH Hyatt, Hilton
JFK mile runs

hi again THX for info .. what are DL earning booking in VS in Premium economy plZ jfk to JOburg or CapeT plz? What class would that book in ? When might MU fly again Re my budget is o Lu fly business on MU.
my. Budget $2500. Max, prefer less

Originally Posted by joachimm

Thanks
Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
Currently, the best options from JFK are Virgin Atlantic Economy Delight or Premium Economy to JNB / CPT. If you are willing to take a position flight to Tijuana, then there are various options on Aeromexico in business class from there - see discussion here. Also, take a look at the Premium Fares Deals forum for other ideas.

With China opening up again, the China Eastern flights from JFK (and other locations) may be coming back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.