Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
While clearly not your intention, I fear that your decision to escalate (instead of hanging up and calling back) might negatively impact some of us. When the word "fraud" gets brought up, I worry that this will somehow go to upper revenue management who may flag all of these fares and place a hold/inhibitor to prevent future changes. While I think it's fine to take advantage of a fare, I also think there's a point at which pushing one's luck backfires and causes some serious unintended consequences.
I share your concerns, and I am sorry this was not an intention! We had very constructive discussion with all of the agents at the same time with no accusations or similar this is why it went so far.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 8:16 am

I'm reading over the posts about "parking" a ticket, but this is new to me, so I want to understand.

My ticket with DL (rebooked once begins next month). PRG-AMS-LAX-HNL five days later HNL-LAX-JFK - five MONTHs later JFK-AMS-PRG.

The PRG-AMS has been canceled or disappeared and honestly, I'm not ready to travel yet (even if we were allowed to enter). so, I'd like to rebook the trip yet again to a later date. I don't mind keeping the exact itinerary.

Assuming all goes well, and DL lets me book the first part of my trip for late 2021, can I "park" the latter part of my trip (JFK-AMS-PRG) to a later time (before 12/31/2022)?

Thanks for your help and clarification.

Last edited by katstarr; Oct 25, 2020 at 8:18 am Reason: clarification
Old Oct 25, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by katstarr
I'm reading over the posts about "parking" a ticket, but this is new to me, so I want to understand.

My ticket with DL (rebooked once begins next month). PRG-AMS-LAX-HNL five days later HNL-LAX-JFK - five MONTHs later JFK-AMS-PRG.

The PRG-AMS has been canceled or disappeared and honestly, I'm not ready to travel yet (even if we were allowed to enter). so, I'd like to rebook the trip yet again to a later date. I don't mind keeping the exact itinerary.

Assuming all goes well, and DL lets me book the first part of my trip for late 2021, can I "park" the latter part of my trip (JFK-AMS-PRG) to a later time (before 12/31/2022)?

I doubt anyone can tell you that, but do report back.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by wmaciej
I wouldn’t worry about it. We know what fare basis it was issued under, we know the rules and KL/AF can look them up too. It continues being changeable and refundable as per rules no matter what the email/website says.
Thanks, good to hear that.
If I am US based any suggestion should contact KLM or AF now? The ticket does still show KLM flight numbers, even though now it is issued on AF Ticket paper.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by Keter
I share your concerns, and I am sorry this was not an intention! We had very constructive discussion with all of the agents at the same time with no accusations or similar this is why it went so far.
My ticket was marked as "NON-CHANGEABLE/NON-REFUNDABLE" on the AF/KL app and website after several flight cancellations. When I called to rebook my flight, the agent assured me that itinerary was fully refundable without penalty. I think the website/app are buggy insfoar as they don't allow you to make changes on your own if there's a cancellation that requires manual reissuing, especially if there are complex routings that involve multiple stops/segments.

This is all to say, I wouldn't worry about it at this point. You can, of course, call KL/AF and see what happens. As I mentioned in an earlier post, please do NOT push your luck with the agents. If you find that an agent isn't cooperative or really helpful, be kind, thank them, hang up, and call back a few hours later (to ensure that you don't get the same agent). You don't want the agent to place notes into your record/PNR, as this will make your life significantly more difficult when more changes/cancellations come up.
rizrizriz and fridgy like this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: SE+, OWS
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
please do NOT push your luck with the agents. If you find that an agent isn't cooperative or really helpful, be kind, thank them, hang up, and call back a few hours later (to ensure that you don't get the same agent). You don't want the agent to place notes into your record/PNR, as this will make your life significantly more difficult when more changes/cancellations come up.
can we put it somewhere in RED so everyone knows this? thanks lol totally agree.
kyushuman and katstarr like this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by wmaciej
Here is a handy guide I’ve found for KL/AF: https://www.worldtrans.vn/webadmin/u...ch/AF%2015.pdf
The above is/was great info to have and thanks wmaciej for sharing. I noticed link above, in the PDF, it reflects "Version 14 September 2020" and I found another one recently that reflects in the same area of the page (lower left) "Version 21 September 2020" so I wanted to share that here. I have it on no authority or knowledge other than it seems to show perhaps there may be other, seemingly later versions floating out on the Inter-Webz, so thought would post here in event there are meaningful changes.

That PDF Link is: https://www.aviateworld.com/media/30..._21sep20v3.pdf
Also found this, but I don't believe I saw a date when looking. https://www.worldtrans.vn/webadmin/u...ch/AF%2025.pdf.

Though I find the flow chart much more easy to follow vs pages of reading, notes and bullet points!
Old Oct 27, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by katstarr

Originally Posted by etiene
I doubt anyone can tell you that, but do report back.
Parked my other itineraries today [which again confirmed is the same as "cancelled to eCredit" at this stage of the process] - I asked about rebooking as each element becomes available and was told that it would all need to be booked in one go.

As usual though: this whole procedure is being made up as we go, so it might be worth trying one's luck anyway.

EDIT: There's also a Bulletin 6 now, which extends the Cabin to Cabin rebooking to the end of this year - don't suppose that'll help anyone much though, since serious relaxation of the borders looks unlikely anytime soon...
Old Oct 28, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
We had a schedule change now for my Jan 3, 2021 trip (BUD-AMS-SEA now the AMS connection is too short), which I wasnt planning on taking in any event. Still trying to figure out what to do, I have gobs of miles now refunded into accounts so I'm now having doubts that we can even use these tickets but I may still just keep them alive and hope the world returns to normal some time soon...

Mine are DL stock, so I am reading the "class to class" terms of the waiver. I assume this I to I and not that silliness about the specific farebasis code being available?
Old Oct 28, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: SE+, OWS
Originally Posted by stephem
Mine are DL stock, so I am reading the "class to class" terms of the waiver. I assume this I to I and not that silliness about the specific farebasis code being available?
if you had any cancellation/schedule change you are free of class to class terms. at least thats what my agent told me.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 1:26 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
Originally Posted by stephem
We had a schedule change now for my Jan 3, 2021 trip (BUD-AMS-SEA now the AMS connection is too short), which I wasnt planning on taking in any event. Still trying to figure out what to do, I have gobs of miles now refunded into accounts so I'm now having doubts that we can even use these tickets but I may still just keep them alive and hope the world returns to normal some time soon...

If it's DL, just park it and reinstate it later, up until 2022.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 11:21 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,
I had a cancellation for my ticket end of this year, called the US KLM line (got the usual Philippines call center). Tried to move it to May (taking into consideration the opening of the borders) but was told I can only move every thing 30 days later. If not there will be a reprice - I thought that the US line was much more easier to deal with reading the different experiences here.
Not sure what next move I should take. Should I just move it all to mid January and after the first segment, make the changes (based on historical pricing?) or HUCA?

Cheers!
Old Oct 29, 2020, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,
I had a cancellation for my ticket end of this year, called the US KLM line (got the usual Philippines call center). Tried to move it to May (taking into consideration the opening of the borders) but was told I can only move every thing 30 days later. If not there will be a reprice - I thought that the US line was much more easier to deal with reading the different experiences here.
Not sure what next move I should take. Should I just move it all to mid January and after the first segment, make the changes (based on historical pricing?) or HUCA?

Cheers!
I'd recommend HUCA. You'd better not rely on historical pricing after flying the first segment, as I tried to rebook AFTER flying the first segment, which was not possible for free.
I'd also recommend to contact DL via phone and ask for the Joint ventures Global ticketing serves they are probably able to take over the ticket to DL stock which means that you are much more flexible with rebooking. just try.

Another question just came into my mind:
What happens if you do not rebook your ticket (so segments stay cancelled) and you just wait and do nothing...
Given that you could be able to "break" the 30-day rebooking rule...?!
Old Oct 29, 2020, 1:10 pm

Has anyone had any luck converting AF stock flights to DL? Seems like DL has been by far the most flexible airline to deal with in terms of making changes to these flights.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by xslash10x
Has anyone had any luck converting AF stock flights to DL? Seems like DL has been by far the most flexible airline to deal with in terms of making changes to these flights.
I was able to revert a DL ticket that was turned to an AF ticket, and back to DL.

I think you should claim the class-to-class rebooking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.