Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Premium Fare Gone): One World: KTM-various USA from $1100 o/w; $2200 r/t

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Premium Fare Gone): One World: KTM-various USA from $1100 o/w; $2200 r/t

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by tennislover9
Did you fly Korean business? Were you able to snag one of those first class seats?
I chose the KA routing through HKG.
Old May 25, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Pulled the trigger on this to get us home from a long Asia/India vacation next Christmas and New Years courtesy of the return leg of the CX VN fare. AA opened up 5 A slots on the transpac and my kids each had the miles in their accounts to move to F so i figured for a freebie we’d do another F flight on AA. My kids love the swivel chairs even if there are no doors in AA F ;-). The short KA overnight flight will be brutal but once we clean up we’ll have a full day to do the sights in HKG and then the F lounge for dinner before we depart. Looking forward to a day adventure in KTM as well to supplement Agra and Jaipur.
Old May 25, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by stephem
Pulled the trigger on this to get us home from a long Asia/India vacation next Christmas and New Years courtesy of the return leg of the CX VN fare. AA opened up 5 A slots on the transpac and my kids each had the miles in their accounts to move to F so i figured for a freebie we’d do another F flight on AA. My kids love the swivel chairs even if there are no doors in AA F ;-). The short KA overnight flight will be brutal but once we clean up we’ll have a full day to do the sights in HKG and then the F lounge for dinner before we depart. Looking forward to a day adventure in KTM as well to supplement Agra and Jaipur.
I hope you enjoy your flight! I just did the KTM transit a few days ago and it was relatively fine. I posted about my experience in the other thread related to this deal. The seats on the KA flight were comfortable enough (and I was tired enough after wandering around Kathmandu in the heat) that I slept from takeoff to landing so I wish you and your family the same.

The CX F lounges are really something else, which it seems you know already. I was so happy to be able to grab a shower (and nap in the "cabana") shortly after arriving and then get a good breakfast in.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: United
Cathay Biz: KTM to LAX, SFO, BOS $1300 OW

First post. Cathay Pacific Business one way from Kathmandu to US cities, I saw SFO, LAX and BOS, there may be more. Many dates available in Dec, Jan, Feb. A scattering of dates available in other months.

Was searching a return from the earlier Cathay error fare. I booked KTM to Bos for NPR144,422 ($1,295) in November on US Cathay Website. Can also do a 72 hour fare hold. Books in I.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
Booked this fare before - you can get to most parts of the USA/Australia/Asia in CX J for $1,400. The only tricky part is making sure I class is open.

The change/cancel fees are pretty low on this fare too which is helpful.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:39 am

There's been a lot of previous discussion on this fare and the AA fare alongside it. The AA fare allows for you to get to non-hub cities while the CX fare does not. The AA fare also allows you to upgrade the HKG-LAX/DFW space for 25,000 miles with no copay if that's something you're interested in (so you get access to CX F lounges and AA Flagship First in LAX/DFW if you're continuing onward).

Reference 1 and Reference 2

I recently flew the AA version, transiting at KTM (with no intention of spending any time in Nepal). It was an interesting experience. OP - are you actually going to be visiting Nepal or just transiting to this flight?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nickohrn
I recently flew the AA version, transiting at KTM (with no intention of spending any time in Nepal). It was an interesting experience. OP - are you actually going to be visiting Nepal or just transiting to this flight?
KTM is actually a pretty interesting city and Nepal is a really scenic country, worth spending a few days, even if only to avoid the transit experience at KTM
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by absoluy
KTM is actually a pretty interesting city and Nepal is a really scenic country, worth spending a few days, even if only to avoid the transit experience at KTM
I went out and walked around Kathmandu and had some fun experiences. Nepal is definitely on my "travel to" list, but my last time hopping through was just a cheap way to get home from Asia on business.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: United
There's been a lot of previous discussion on this fare and the AA fare alongside it. The AA fare allows for you to get to non-hub cities while the CX fare does not. The AA fare also allows you to upgrade the HKG-LAX/DFW space for 25,000 miles with no copay if that's something you're interested in (so you get access to CX F lounges and AA Flagship First in LAX/DFW if you're continuing onward).

Yes, I'll be in Nepal so this fare works great for me. I booked the Cathay error fare flights to be months apart with the intention of using them as one ways. The first Cathay flight I used to visit Cambodia and Hong Kong in Feb. The "return" - North America to Hanoi I'm using to go to Nepal to go trekking.

Good to know about the AA upgrade strategy! Unfortunately, I don't have AA miles. I'm going for Alaska Gold 75k this year so looking to credit there.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
KTM fares like this one have been around for a while.

The Cathay fare is appealing to AA flyers for the *0.25 EQD. Although it is really tempting to jump on a QR flight with Q-suites for $200 more

Below are my janky calculations on a KTM - JFK in Cathay.

Base Miles - 8780
EQD - $2195
EQM - 10975
RDM (pre ellite bonus) - 13170

Last edited by mosfet; Jun 11, 2019 at 1:17 pm Reason: formatting
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:13 pm

Which end can you add the non-hub cities to? I would be interested in transiting KTM after beginning in another Asian city, or possibly adding a non-hub, like CVG, LEX, or SDF at the end, but when I try the fare increases dramatically.

Thanks
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by lawyeraaron
Which end can you add the non-hub cities to? I would be interested in transiting KTM after beginning in another Asian city, or possibly adding a non-hub, like CVG, LEX, or SDF at the end, but when I try the fare increases dramatically.

Thanks
Try this in ITA Matrix - you should be able to use ITA PowerTools to generate a bookable link on the AA website.

You can do round trip if you need to get back to Asia at any point and, if you don't check bags, hop off in HKG if you wanted to.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lawyeraaron

Thanks
You can add AA non hub cities at the US end.

You can also make them into stopovers. Eg if you’re going to NYC, you can do HKG LAX JFK <stopover> MIA, as an example.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: U/A premier 1K. UA 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
does any one know if this works one way from usa? did a quick look thru this link and did not see any comment. been working 14 hour days the last two days so a little burned out.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by gallen5555
does any one know if this works one way from usa? did a quick look thru this link and did not see any comment. been working 14 hour days the last two days so a little burned out.
No. As is typical with most fares outside of US domestic fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.