FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   [PREM FARE GONE] CX - SFO-HKG R/T PE $773.00. - Black Friday Sale (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1941311-prem-fare-gone-cx-sfo-hkg-r-t-pe-773-00-black-friday-sale.html)

VegasGambler Nov 20, 2018 8:04 pm

Stupid noob question -- is it possible to add other segments on a ticket that includes this? The fares combine on ITA... but to get the $500 discount, you have to enter the promo code, which (I guess?) can only be done on the CX website, and I can't seem to get it to add on the AS flight that I need.

jcatman Nov 20, 2018 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by SJWarrior (Post 30451131)

I must have missed out I can’t find any PE available in the first couple weeks of Jan. Or I’m missing something.

congrats to those who booked it!

Are you using the link in OP's first post? And, entering the HOLIDAY promo code? Lots of dates in early January, pricing at $773, $807 or $857.

pbd456 Nov 20, 2018 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30451144)
Stupid noob question -- is it possible to add other segments on a ticket that includes this? The fares combine on ITA... but to get the $500 discount, you have to enter the promo code, which (I guess?) can only be done on the CX website, and I can't seem to get it to add on the AS flight that I need.

no. it is fairly clear on T&C.

SJWarrior Nov 21, 2018 8:15 am

Originally Posted by jcatman (Post 30451301)
Are you using the link in OP's first post? And, entering the HOLIDAY promo code? Lots of dates in early January, pricing at $773, $807 or $857.

yes you’re right
I was hoping for fist weekend because of work. I will see if I can switch with someone
thanks !!

frebay Nov 21, 2018 8:20 am

Originally Posted by The_Just (Post 30450737)
Ya know that LAX-BKK for $1035 is just about as good as that SFO-HKG. 24,927EQM, $3324EQD works out to 3.2EQD per dollar spent. Not the 3.5EQD per dollar as it is on that SFO-HKG, but for us so cal people the cost of positioning might make BKK a better deal.

Does CX allow for stopovers on these fares?

Wow I didn't think of it that way. To position myself on SWA from LAX to SFO and back makes the EQD identical at 3.2 so I guess I will book Bkk.

deltame Nov 21, 2018 9:38 am

I am drooling over this SFO fare. The issues I have are two folded: I actually want to visit China (PVG or HGH) and I live on the east coast. So I would need budget for additional segments on both side of SFO-HKG. I suppose east coast to SFO can be done around $300 RT, but less clear on HKG-PVG (or HKG-HGH) cost.

More logistic questions I would appreciate some insights. Are 350s better than 777s on this CX route for PE? Does it make any sense to route via SFO-LAX-HKG (with same fare) to earn more mileage on AA? CX offers SFO-LAX leg on regional aircraft with AA codes.

golfingboy Nov 21, 2018 11:04 am

Originally Posted by deltame (Post 30453122)
I am drooling over this SFO fare. The issues I have are two folded: I actually want to visit China (PVG or HGH) and I live on the east coast. So I would need budget for additional segments on both side of SFO-HKG. I suppose east coast to SFO can be done around $300 RT, but less clear on HKG-PVG (or HKG-HGH) cost.

More logistic questions I would appreciate some insights. Are 350s better than 777s on this CX route for PE? Does it make any sense to route via SFO-LAX-HKG (with same fare) to earn more mileage on AA? CX offers SFO-LAX leg on regional aircraft with AA codes.

Yes - while there are some decent PE fares to China those are typically on Cathay Dragon which doesn’t have PE and the coach fare class most likely will be ineligible. Or you can use Avios to book cheap awards from HKG.

I am not sure about the A351, but the A359 PE does not have its own dedicated lavatory like the 77W. However, from what I gather the seat and hard product on the A359 is a little better (its newer).

I think all in all its equal and I would book based on which schedule works best for you since you will need to book flights on both ends.

Barkinpark Nov 21, 2018 11:14 am

Originally Posted by deltame (Post 30453122)

There is also an offer from SEA to Shanghai on J for $2300. Great bargain on A350.

jfinsocal Nov 21, 2018 12:18 pm

I'm looking at LAX-HKG-DPS but the HKG-DPS flight doesn't have premium economy. Will this segment book in E class or something else? Could also book to SIN for a couple hundred dollars cheaper and book LCC to DPS I suppose.

manually Nov 21, 2018 1:08 pm

Do you need a visa for Hong Kong?

UAPremierGuy Nov 21, 2018 1:15 pm

Americans do not need a visa for Hong Kong.

nickohrn Nov 21, 2018 1:35 pm

For those with experience on the different products, would you prefer flying on the 777-300 in premium economy or the A350-1000? It looks like most dates at the sales price for Premium Economy on the SFO-HKG route offer a choice.

VegasGambler Nov 21, 2018 2:03 pm

I'm curious about this as well. I just looked on seatguru and the airbus seemed to be the clear winner (wider seats, more pitch, wifi). I'm still taking the 777 back due to the time being more convenient.

manually Nov 21, 2018 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy (Post 30453855)
Americans do not need a visa for Hong Kong.

Canadians?

nickohrn Nov 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by manually (Post 30454029)
Canadians?

Doesn't seem like you need one.