FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   [PREM FARE GONE] CX - SFO-HKG R/T PE $773.00. - Black Friday Sale (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1941311-prem-fare-gone-cx-sfo-hkg-r-t-pe-773-00-black-friday-sale.html)

sfvoyage Nov 22, 2018 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30454019)
I'm curious about this as well. I just looked on seatguru and the airbus seemed to be the clear winner (wider seats, more pitch, wifi). I'm still taking the 777 back due to the time being more convenient.

I took a look on seatguru, and pitch & width on 777-300 is 38 & 19.5, vs. on A350-900, it's 40 & 20. So they're nearly identical. Also, both PE cabins have 4 rows of 2-4-2 configuration. So on paper, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference. Is the amount of recline the same on both? (On seatguru, it says 9 inches for A350-900, but no data for 777-300ER). If both have same recline, I don't know why Airbus would be the "clear winner"?...

olouie Nov 22, 2018 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage (Post 30457940)
I took a look on seatguru, and pitch & width on 777-300 is 38 & 19.5, vs. on A350-900, it's 40 & 20. So they're nearly identical. Also, both PE cabins have 4 rows of 2-4-2 configuration. So on paper, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference. Is the amount of recline the same on both? (On seatguru, it says 9 inches for A350-900, but no data for 777-300ER). If both have same recline, I don't know why Airbus would be the "clear winner"?...

I fly both frequently - a350 has more recline but is narrower, 777 is wider but less recline and not all seats have legrests yet (being retrofitted but not 100% I think).

VegasGambler Nov 22, 2018 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage (Post 30457940)

Clear to me because the seats are 5+% wider, there is 5+% more pitch, and wifi (which I may or may not purchase -- not sure how much it costs)

I don't consider 19.5 and 20 to be "almost identical" for width. I consider 21 to be roomy and 18 to be cramped, and that's only a 3 inch gap. Half an inch is a significant chunk of that.

The difference in pitch is less critical to me. Still, I'll take the extra 2 inches. Not sure how much the seat reclining in front of me causes encroachment (vs the seat sliding forward as it reclines) so that's hard to judge without sitting in them.

Also the cabin layout just looks cramped and kind of strange. Remember that the 777 is a narrower plane, despite there being the same number of seats across PE. The comparison/review linked above points that out. (edit: this is wrong) The restroom is in a strange spot too (of course you have a dedicated restroom for the cabin, which some people would consider important)

Anyway, it wasn't a deal breaker for me -- I chose a 777 flight back because the time was more convenient. I could have taken the airbus both ways if I had REALLY wanted to. I guess I'll find out how much of a difference there really is in January.

ETA: So now I'm not sure. Seatguru says that the seats on the A350 are wider, but the poster above (and TPG in the link above) say that the seats on the 777 are wider. So I don't know. Maybe it's not clear after all.

olouie Nov 22, 2018 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30458033)
Clear to me because the seats are 5+% wider, there is 5+% more pitch, and wifi (which I may or may not purchase -- not sure how much it costs)

I don't consider 19.5 and 20 to be "almost identical" for width. I consider 21 to be roomy and 18 to be cramped, and that's only a 3 inch gap. Half an inch is a significant chunk of that.

The difference in pitch is less critical to me. Still, I'll take the extra 2 inches. Not sure how much the seat reclining in front of me causes encroachment (vs the seat sliding forward as it reclines) so that's hard to judge without sitting in them.

Also the cabin layout just looks cramped and kind of strange. Remember that the 777 is a narrower plane, despite there being the same number of seats across PE. The comparison/review linked above points that out. (edit: this is wrong) The restroom is in a strange spot too (of course you have a dedicated restroom for the cabin, which some people would consider important)

Anyway, it wasn't a deal breaker for me -- I chose a 777 flight back because the time was more convenient. I could have taken the airbus both ways if I had REALLY wanted to. I guess I'll find out how much of a difference there really is in January.

ETA: So now I'm not sure. Seatguru says that the seats on the A350 are wider, but the poster above (and TPG in the link above) say that the seats on the 777 are wider. So I don't know. Maybe it's not clear after all.

The seat design is completely different - on the A350 they have storage space on the side of the seat that takes up space and the aisle seat armrest goes down so you can swing your legs over to let other person out without getting up. So the personal space for your body is smaller on the A350. Its noticeable if you have accumulated some extra carry on weight :-) I notice since I am a larger guy, however my wife cannot tell the difference much (except she doesn't like the A350 seat padding). However, I do sleep better in the A350 due to extra recline - that also makes it harder to get out if the person in front is reclined.

This is a pretty decent overview of both: https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/cat...econ-777-a350/

s0ssos Nov 23, 2018 8:59 am

Originally Posted by jcatman (Post 30455146)
Here is a comparison provided by J.T. Genter:

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/cat...econ-777-a350/

I'm looking at the seats and reminded of flying a decade ago, when you can be seated in an economy seat and someone can actually squeeze in front of you to get in (presuming you both aren't fat).

sfvoyage Nov 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by olouie (Post 30458057)
The seat design is completely different - on the A350 they have storage space on the side of the seat that takes up space and the aisle seat armrest goes down so you can swing your legs over to let other person out without getting up. So the personal space for your body is smaller on the A350. Its noticeable if you have accumulated some extra carry on weight :-) I notice since I am a larger guy, however my wife cannot tell the difference much (except she doesn't like the A350 seat padding). However, I do sleep better in the A350 due to extra recline - that also makes it harder to get out if the person in front is reclined.

This is a pretty decent overview of both: https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/cat...econ-777-a350/

I read through this thread and the overview link above, and it's not easy to determine the "winner", with so many variables and pros and cons. As others have said, the better schedule may serve as a tie breaker.

alny Nov 23, 2018 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 30457620)
Yeah, my itinerary would qualify - all CX metal, and it is round trip - the search engine just won’t pull it up, I assume because of a short connection time. Google finds it and will punch me through to CX to book it, but too late to enter the promo code. The terms say the discount only applies to online purchases, so I have not tried calling but I am not optimistic.

I was able to have phone reservations apply the code for an eligible round trip ticket. There was no W fare class availability on my connecting flight HKG-MNL and they were able to downgrade that leg to economy and give me the same promo fare ($500 off). I did ask about open leg itinerary and that did not work.

olouie Nov 23, 2018 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage (Post 30459922)
I read through this thread and the overview link above, and it's not easy to determine the "winner", with so many variables and pros and cons. As others have said, the better schedule may serve as a tie breaker.

Yeah - I usually book whatever is the best schedule, but the A350 also has better IFE. I usually get bulkhead in the 777 and the TV swings out of the chair and sometimes breaks (e.g. doesnt stay in place and they have to tape it up). The a350 is on the wall so its nice you can use it on take off and landing. Also that tail and bottom cameras are fun to watch.

VegasGambler Nov 23, 2018 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by olouie (Post 30458057)

How are the middle seats? I'm on the A350 on my way there, and the only decent seat was the front row window... which is one of the seats where you might get bumped for someone with a disability. There is nothing else avaialble except for those "priority" seats in the front row, and 2 middle seats -- so if I get bumped I'm in a middle seat. I usually have problems with the width on a regular economy seat... that's why I try to choose the window, as it allows me to with with my shoulder up against the side of the plane. It's just a shoulder width issue -- I'm not exactly skinny but I fit into the seat, between the arm rests, just fine. The issue is that (in an economy seat) my shoulders encroach into the neighboring seats just a little... and if I'm in a middle seat there's nothing I can do about it.

olouie Nov 23, 2018 10:13 pm

Never taken a flight in one before. Have never gotten bumped from a priority seat yet. Sat in them for a few minutes before take off and seem fine, however with someone on both sides I wouldn’t like it. My issue isn’t with shoulder width (I do have board shoulders), but mostly in the waist and upper legs. The shoulders feel like they have more room since it’s not impacted by the side storage space so you might be ok.

Barkinpark Nov 23, 2018 10:48 pm

Does Asia have Black Friday sales? If not, what type of mega sales do they have and on what date(s)?

Royaloaks Nov 24, 2018 3:16 am

Awesome Deal

This is an awesome deal for mileage run to keep my AA EXP status (better than last year for PE class)
I already booked :
1) two trips to Singapore (stay one night)
2) a trip to Bangkok (stay one night) ($100 more than to Singapore but I can visit my friend who lives thereso worth it)
3) two trips to HKG (day trip in Hong Kong), and I found a website can book a hotel room for day use (11 am to 7 pm) if I want to take a nap.

After AA changed its program a couple years ago, using CX PE for mileage run is the method that I keep my AA exp status.
My personal experience, I prefer 777 than A350 because it feels more roomy. Upgrade from PE to J for SFO-HKG (vice versa) is really rare. Don't expect it.

Barkinpark Nov 24, 2018 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Royaloaks (Post 30460874)
This is an awesome deal for mileage run to keep my AA EXP status (better than last year for PE class)

At what reliable websites did you find or buy your intra-Asia fare deals? I read from see other forum (a year or two ago) that major US OTAs like Expedia are not the best in finding Asian deals.

Tim_AZ Nov 24, 2018 8:58 pm

Thanks for the heads up. This is going to be my first true mileage run with SFO-HKG-SFO in one weekend.

okrogius Nov 25, 2018 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Royaloaks (Post 30460874)
I already booked :
1) two trips to Singapore (stay one night)
2) a trip to Bangkok (stay one night) ($100 more than to Singapore but I can visit my friend who lives thereso worth it)
3) two trips to HKG (day trip in Hong Kong), and I found a website can book a hotel room for day use (11 am to 7 pm) if I want to take a nap.

After AA changed its program a couple years ago, using CX PE for mileage run is the method that I keep my AA exp status.
My personal experience, I prefer 777 than A350 because it feels more roomy. Upgrade from PE to J for SFO-HKG (vice versa) is really rare. Don't expect it.

Five SFO-HKG PE CX trips is more than necessary to qualify for EXP. What's the point?

If you're not traveling AA at all, why bother with mileage runs? If you're flying AA slightly, why not do four (or fewer) mileage runs? Even then, surely just buying business/first for that rare few trip(s) is cheaper than four of these trips.