Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{Fare Gone} Air France : IST - SJO $2,341 First Class$2,639 RT (mixed Business)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

{Fare Gone} Air France : IST - SJO $2,341 First Class$2,639 RT (mixed Business)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: BA, JAL
"you should have realized that you cannot get F-ticket for 1269€"

The guy sounds like a #dooshbag. He should have realised that if it says 'First' then that's what the customer expects... The end.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:35 am

Odd my credit card has not been charged for the ticket. I don’t see it as pending either. I know it was approved by AMEX as I got an alert but the charge isn’t reflected anywhere.

Any one else have the same issue? I booked with Orbitz but the charge on my notification was from AF.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by roelb
This is just wrong. They allowed you to check in and that's it - they should simply honor it.

I can understand changing future flights. However, I still doubt the legality of it in this case - people still paid a pretty significant fare for a route that can be flown in First class for about $4500 round trip and $2400 in business, any day of the year, on other airlines. Should a consumer assume that about half of the going rate is an error? I don't think so. The variation in airfare is such that no normal consumer can never judge the difference between error and offer at these price levels. Sure, if this would have been a $500 ticket, then you can argue that the customer should have known. But not in this case.

Airlines should not be allowed to do as they wish, without penalty, whenever they feel a ticket has been sold at a price point that they are uncomfortable with. As a buyer, you need to have some kind of certainty that you're going to get the services that you paid for.

I guess there needs to be some jurisprudence on these issues. This could be a good case. There is jurisprudence in the Netherlands on pricing errors on goods offered online. The case was about a TV offered for 10% of the going rate (EUR 99 instead of EUR 990). Both lower and higher courts ruled the sale was invalid. But their arguments are interesting. They argued that any consumer looking for a TV with these specifications should have known that 10% of the going rate was not a realistic price point. Especially since he seller did not specifically advertise it as a sale.

In this case though, Air France clearly put the "Lowest fare" green text on their own website. That could be seen as advertising a sale. Also, the pricing was not completely unrealistic for an average consumer. Look at the picture at the top of this thread: It's no more than a 15% difference between Business and First. They might just be running a promotion campaign for their first class cabin, offering it at a slight discount over Business. That could be a valid marketing method, get a couple of passengers that would normally fly in Business to experience their First class cabin, in the hope of selling them a higher fare the next time around.
I agree. What also was interesting . There was only ONE seat for that fair available on every flight. So it clearly looked like a promotion and def. Not like a full flex eco fare
Old May 8, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
I agree. What also was interesting . There was only ONE seat for that fair available on every flight. So it clearly looked like a promotion and def. Not like a full flex eco fare

Are you sure?

Expedia "warned" me that there were only 7 seats left at that fare...
alp67 likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
Status update:
I called the OTA and they could see that my reservation was originally in J/F but now changed to Y/Y by the airline and that they really could not do anything at this point and that I should contact AF directly. I called AF and after a few minutes the agent stated that this was OTA mistake, that they have sold me wrong fare basis. He was kind of blaming me as well, since "you should have realized that you cannot get F-ticket for 1269€"..(well, for average Joe that is quite a lot of money, so I might not share his attitude about that), and asked me to contact the OTA again. I just did that and this time I had agent who was surprisingly confident that they will fix this with AF, and that I shouldn't need to worry about this, "you bought F-class ticket, you will be flying in F-class"! I wish I could share his confidence about this...! Anyway, he promised that they will get back to me by email as soon as everything is fixed. Now let's see if I ever hear from them...
Originally Posted by honzeek_cz

thats me. But rather than AF Y (to be refunded), I opted for SV C on my own money. Just about to depart to JED.
Originally Posted by irishguy28
At the gate you will be rebooked onto a TAROM/Air France/Delta Y ticket
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
"you should have realized that you cannot get F-ticket for 1269€"

The guy sounds like a #dooshbag. He should have realised that if it says 'First' then that's what the customer expects... The end.
Are you sure?

Expedia "warned" me that there were only 7 seats left at that fare...
100 percent. Of course that's the only part where I didn't Screenshot.. But I saw on all of them showing only one seat. And I tried to look for 2. And the price went up to 4000euros. The usual.then I just booked for myself.

Why are airlines actually able to downgrade after they have submitted a ticket.. I have even chosen my first class seat. That's rediculous

I can understand if the tickets are sold by accent. But that's why the airline has to confirm them. Right. If they are confirmed . That's what confirmed means in my stupid eyes
Old May 8, 2018, 10:59 am

Is there a chance to see my fare class? I can't find a way. I log into af website with my booking code. See the flights. Seats. Everything But don't see where to check which fare class it is. Maybe that makes it reliable .
Old May 8, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
Why are airlines actually able to downgrade after they have submitted a ticket.. I have even chosen my first class seat. That's rediculous

I can understand if the tickets are sold by accent. But that's why the airline has to confirm them. Right. If they are confirmed . That's what confirmed means in my stupid eyes
And that is why someone should go to court over this.
ristasm likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by oneworld82
I can confirm they were legitimate tickets. for more information if you are worried pm me
I am confident it was but thank you. The same exact itinerary I have now goes for 3x times as much.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:51 am

100 percent. Of course that's the only part where I didn't Screenshot.. But I saw on all of them showing only one seat. And I tried to look for 2. And the price went up to 4000euros. The usual.then I just booked for myself.

I did purchases 3 tickets for the same flights through Expedia.ie. They are 057 for 2019 and still shows as F on both Expedia and Air France for the moment.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:53 am

I did purchases 3 tickets for 2019 for the same flights (to JNB) through Expedia.ie. They are 057 and still shows as J+F on both Expedia and Air France for the moment.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Dazeq
I did purchases 3 tickets for 2019 for the same flights (to JNB) through Expedia.ie. They are 057 and still shows as J+F on both Expedia and Air France for the moment.
Sooner or latter you will get the bad news.. Either a phone call or an email stating that they made a mistake and re-booked you in Y...

Be a good sport and asume the defeat :-)
Old May 8, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
€1269 as base fare, or as the total amount? The cheapest I was aware of - for the total - was around €1550 to JNB. May I ask where you were travelling to?
Total fare excl. OTA ticketing charge for IST-CDG-GRU o/w.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
Status update:
I called the OTA and they could see that my reservation was originally in J/F but now changed to Y/Y by the airline and that they really could not do anything at this point and that I should contact AF directly. I called AF and after a few minutes the agent stated that this was OTA mistake, that they have sold me wrong fare basis. He was kind of blaming me as well, since "you should have realized that you cannot get F-ticket for 1269€"..(well, for average Joe that is quite a lot of money, so I might not share his attitude about that), and asked me to contact the OTA again. I just did that and this time I had agent who was surprisingly confident that they will fix this with AF, and that I shouldn't need to worry about this, "you bought F-class ticket, you will be flying in F-class"! I wish I could share his confidence about this...! Anyway, he promised that they will get back to me by email as soon as everything is fixed. Now let's see if I ever hear from them...
Status update 2:

I just got a call from Air France/KLM head office in Amsterdam, they were apologizing that the OTA sold me a wrong ticket in error and that now they have updated my reservation to PE (gee, thanks). I asked if I can get full refund, and the agent confirmed that I'll get full refund, even the OTA service charges will be refunded and if I have any trouble getting it, I could contact AF directly. In a way this all seems to be extremely shady from AF, first confirming the reservation and letting choose F-seats and meals and then suddenly changing everything to Y without any notification, In my field of business, if I make a mistake I take the responsibility of it and suck it up, even if it costs me money. That doesn't seem to be the case with AF and they way they handled this has really left sour taste in my mouth. If I had more time, I would like to challenge them and see what happens...but since my time is limited, I'll just take the refund and move on.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:03 pm

But I saw on all of them showing only one seat. And I tried to look for 2. And the price went up to 4000euros. The usual.then I just booked for myself. ...
4'k was the PRICE FOR TWO, just to say... Booked for two for US$ 4'218 in TOTAL ;-)
Old May 8, 2018, 1:07 pm

I think the same and iam going to change my future flights to other airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.