Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Qatar J Under $1500 r/t CMB-PHL next November

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] Qatar J Under $1500 r/t CMB-PHL next November

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:40 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I know FT is the worst place to get confirmation that I am not insane but to take advantage of this fare I am considering the following itinerary.

Outbound

PIT-LGA-YYZ (AA Y)
YYZ-LHR-MAA (BA PE)
MAA-CMB (UL Y)
CMB-DOH-PHL (QR J)
PHL-PIT (AA Y)

This sector will be purely MR over Memorial weekend and set me up for 2 weeks vacation in Sri Lanka and New Delhi. I'll arrive in MAA at 330am and depart on UL at 10am. I wonder how is international transit at MAA with separate tickets? Then I'd arrive in CMB around noon and depart 9pm back to the states.

Return

PIT-PHL (AA Y)
PHL-DOH-CMB (QR J)

Spend 7-10 days in Colombo

CMB-DEL (UL Y)

Spend 3-5 days in DEL

DEL-LHR-YYZ (BA PE)
YYZ-DCA-PIT (AA Y)

Around $2400 all in for the BA/QR sectors with AMEX IAP discount and QRSUBSCRIBER. Then a mixture of $$$/points for the positioning flights.Net me in $6,901 EQDs and 51,759 EQMs. Pretty much secures Platinum.

Half insane half genius?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy

Half insane half genius?
I certainly see the half insane but am struggling to see the genius half.

Then again 2 weeks ago I was in LAS and to get back to BNE I drove to LAX then flew LAX-LHR-CDG-ATH-CAI-DXB-BNE with overnights in hotels in CDG and CAI and a lovely 7 hrs overnight at ATH airport. So, together we can make up one fully insane person but I still can't see us getting close to one genius. Folie à deux perhaps
golfingboy and ft543 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I certainly see the half insane but am struggling to see the genius half.

Then again 2 weeks ago I was in LAS and to get back to BNE I drove to LAX then flew LAX-LHR-CDG-ATH-CAI-DXB-BNE with overnights in hotels in CDG and CAI and a lovely 7 hrs overnight at ATH airport. So, together we can make up one fully insane person but I still can't see us getting close to one genius. Folie à deux perhaps
I guess the genius piece is sustaining 3x EQD value building a rather convoluted itinerary that should work in theory to help secure Platinum status on AA in one swoop.
ft543 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:23 pm
was ShootinPutin11

Programs: AA-Plat, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium, UA-Silver, DL-Silver
I know FT is the worst place to get confirmation that I am not insane but to take advantage of this fare I am considering the following itinerary.

Around $2400 all in for the BA/QR sectors with AMEX IAP discount and QRSUBSCRIBER. Then a mixture of $$$/points for the positioning flights.Net me in $6,901 EQDs and 51,759 EQMs. Pretty much secures Platinum.

Half insane half genius?
We are on the exact same page, my friend. I'm considering doing basically the same thing, with a flight to India out of YYZ on BA PE, and then the QR flights in J. The only thing is trying to figure out my personal schedule in order to take advantage of the second flights to India/Sri Lanka. Nested flights would let me get two trips/vacations out of this instead of a vacation trip and a mileage run trip. I'm thinking BA outbound to India in May, outbound in QR in May (CMB-PHL), with QR return in August (PHL-CMB) and BA return in August.

Is the AMEX IAP discount better than on BA.com? So far I'm seeing QR for $1200 with QRSUBSCRIBER and YYZ-DEL for $1250 on BA.com (no discount code that I can find).
golfingboy likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by ShootinPutin11
We are on the exact same page, my friend. I'm considering doing basically the same thing, with a flight to India out of YYZ on BA PE, and then the QR flights in J. The only thing is trying to figure out my personal schedule in order to take advantage of the second flights to India/Sri Lanka. Nested flights would let me get two trips/vacations out of this instead of a vacation trip and a mileage run trip. I'm thinking BA outbound to India in May, outbound in QR in May (CMB-PHL), with QR return in August (PHL-CMB) and BA return in August.

Is the AMEX IAP discount better than on BA.com? So far I'm seeing QR for $1200 with QRSUBSCRIBER and YYZ-DEL for $1250 on BA.com (no discount code that I can find).
Awesome! I did think about spending a few days in CMB in May then doing a full two weeks in India on the second component of the trip, but a little torn since I'll be going solo on both trips aside from a potential meet up with a friend in DEL if he's available. I'll be having two employees in Pune reporting to me (dotted basis) soon and I did tease my boss about a potential work training trip to India

AMEX IAP for YYZ-DEL quoted me $1187.XX IIRC when I called this morning. I have the figure written down at my work desk. Not a huge savings but the savings is enough to cover the MAA-CMB flight!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:06 pm

Negombo has decent beaches and nice Ayurvedic treatments, massages, etc. and is very close to CMB. Helps with the stresses of MR travel!
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by ShootinPutin11

AMEX IAP for YYZ-DEL quoted me $1187.XX IIRC when I called this morning. I have the figure written down at my work desk. Not a huge savings but the savings is enough to cover the MAA-CMB flight!
Just looked, its $1,167.74 when booking thru AMEX IAP for the BA flight.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Negombo has decent beaches and nice Ayurvedic treatments, massages, etc. and is very close to CMB. Helps with the stresses of MR travel!
I was there a few weeks ago on a layover to catch the KU deal to FRA, I stayed in a place a few blocks from the beach with a nice pool.
After walking around Negombo and seeing the open sewer canals and drains leading to the beach, looking at the color of the sea water and the huge amount of trash littered all over the beach and in the water there was no way in hell I was going in the ocean there although I saw a lot of tourists in my the water, eeeew.

Probably be fine if you stick the the hotel pools.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Just a heads up, QR has extended the free stopover hotel program until the end of the year.
aktchi and golfingboy like this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Croupier

I was there a few weeks ago on a layover to catch the KU deal to FRA, I stayed in a place a few blocks from the beach with a nice pool.
After walking around Negombo and seeing the open sewer canals and drains leading to the beach, looking at the color of the sea water and the huge amount of trash littered all over the beach and in the water there was no way in hell I was going in the ocean there although I saw a lot of tourists in my the water, eeeew.

Probably be fine if you stick the the hotel pools.
Ouch. Yeah, I am not a big swimmer in the ocean, more into laying around.

Jetwing Blue is a nice hotel on the beach.

Hilton Colombo is a hike from the airport, as is everything in the CBD, but an option if people want a big loyalty program hotel. The rooms are old (as of Feb 2017), but the lobby renovation is great.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Just a heads up, QR has extended the free stopover hotel program until the end of the year.
DOH Questions: I have been through DOH airport many times but never stepped into the city, so am thinking about the "2 nights" deal. Although, with 2PM arrival and 8AM departure, it will be more like just one whole day in DOH. Questions for those who have DOH experience

(1) Would you explore on your own or get a tour? Is there another tour company I should be looking at (instead of +qatar)?
(2) Which part of the city do you recommend for the hotel? Here, I am more interested in Doha experience rather than a hotel experience. Thanks!

Colombo Questions: Similarly about CMB. Again, first time there. How many days are needed to get a good feel for the city? Which part of the city to stay in? For a first trip, would you stay within CMB or try to include other albeit nearby places?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ

I thought the free stopover hotel program only applies if you have a long stopover forced by a lack of shorter connection?

[EDIT]Huh, interesting, I hadn’t been aware of the +Qatar program, thought their only program was for stopover hotel rooms due to connections... thanks for the link, Nikolaos, guess I’ll look at using it as part of my next flights with QR!

Last edited by crackjack; Mar 6, 2018 at 9:21 pm
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Qatar extended the stopover program until the end of the year!! ^^^^

Tip Hat to Onemileatatime: Qatar Airways Extends Hotel Stopover Program Through December 31, 2018 - One Mile at a Time
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
I booked a 2 night stopover w/ this deal for 50.00 at the IC.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:28 pm

If you have Marriott or Starwood Gold or Platinum status, the Marriott Marquis Doha is great for the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.