Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Scandinavia - Irkutsk,Russia. Return via TLV/IST. SkyTeam, 710 EUR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] Scandinavia - Irkutsk,Russia. Return via TLV/IST. SkyTeam, 710 EUR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM. Elite Plus, SK Silver
Originally Posted by RoarAhead
This is a great example of how nutty FTers are. I love it....

I think the somewhat cumbersome process of getting a Russian visa may give many second thoughts here. Did anyone find any fun routings that are not quite as lengthy and does not require a Russian visa, but involves a few places you might actually want to see as a tourist?
You could go to Marrakech, Yerervan or basically any European city served by AF.
Even KEF,with FI from CDG or CPH.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
ALA

Originally Posted by ubiest
Happy to give a hand - would you give us some dates and an itinerary?
Any luck with Almaty?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SQPPS
Any luck with Almaty?
It seems that routes with widebodies are not possible?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by jms_uk
It seems that routes with widebodies are not possible?
su operates a 737 there.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by RoarAhead
This is a great example of how nutty FTers are. I love it....

I think the somewhat cumbersome process of getting a Russian visa may give many second thoughts here. Did anyone find any fun routings that are not quite as lengthy and does not require a Russian visa, but involves a few places you might actually want to see as a tourist?
I have gotten many Russian visas, not especially cumbersome, and with the EU-Russia agreement, only 35 EUR at any consulate. Another advantage is that fewer people can go off on a whim to Russia, so it is often quite laid back except for the peak tourist seasons in Moscow and Piter.

And the list of places that have been listed here as "exotic" such as Irkutsk or Bishkek, let alone Moscow are places that have both cultural and natural beauty (and other kinds of beauty) in spades. YMMV, but for even for a hardened globetrotter, seeing Baykal frozen over in the stillness of winter is something you will not soon forget.
B0gdan and christravelblog like this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:58 pm

su operates a 737 there.
^

My first thought was KL with A330
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:09 pm

^

My first thought was KL with A330
But this is an AF fare, and while it's not impossible to add KL segments, it's more tricky...
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto
But this is an AF fare, and while it's not impossible to add KL segments, it's more tricky...
It is AF fare, but there are quite a few segments on KL metal, including very first one[s] from SVG to AMS
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
For us Brits, getting a visa is a somewhat more cumbersome process and considerably more expensive. For me, the problem is compounded by living outside the UK and that throws up quite a few unexpected problems and obstacles. I, personally, would like to try and make this fare work to Samara (KUF) and I will have some time later this week to fiddle around with it.

Just a question: for going to Tel Avis, will it matter if I have UAE and Omani stamps in my passport?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
For us Brits, getting a visa is a somewhat more cumbersome process and considerably more expensive. For me, the problem is compounded by living outside the UK and that throws up quite a few unexpected problems and obstacles. I, personally, would like to try and make this fare work to Samara (KUF) and I will have some time later this week to fiddle around with it.
I've been quite lucky to have a second passport that allows visa free travel to Russia up to 30 days [and China and few others] - saved me a lot of £££ and hassle.

Just a question: for going to Tel Avis, will it matter if I have UAE and Omani stamps in my passport?
It might result in some extra questioning, but you should still be allowed in. I have been to Israel with stamps from several ME countries, including Lebanon.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
It is AF fare, but there are quite a few segments on KL metal, including very first one[s] from SVG to AMS
And we can only see the first 500 routings, at least in ExpertFlyer (the theory I have seen is that EF truncates to 500) so I do wonder if there are thousands more we cannot see, including ones allowing KL on the segment to/from ALA.

That brings me to the question after "how many routings are there?" to "how did such a long list of routings get created for such a straight forward route?" It reminds me of the routing tables for the AF "Tamerlane" fare, that started in PTP (basis ZFFWHT) and actually had some crazy low cost add-ins to the same area. Underlying fare was PTP-SVX but wow could it be juiced via some random routing tables that were filed for strange add-ons (like ULN and various other places that Timur) once ruled. Underlying SVX fare is still there, but the add ons and the crazy routing tables have been cleaned up. Never seen anything as strange as this current fare though...
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I've been quite lucky to have a second passport that allows visa free travel to Russia up to 30 days [and China and few others] - saved me a lot of £££ and hassle.

You must have a passport for another country due to dual nationality or something, which is great. It appears to much easier for EU (non British) residents to get Russian visas. It's certainly a whole lot cheaper!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I don't know if I am brave enough to do Russia on this fare in the winter, imagine any snafus with this tix and being denied boarding in IKT in March, brrr....

Btw, little known fact, coincidently IKT is where AF sends people who book tix like this as a punishment...
christravelblog likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Sep 11, 2017 at 5:16 pm
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
Yup I just saw the routing tables. ALA is not in there at all. Sorry for throwing the convo off.

this is a super fare...but I really neeed to get to ALA or close to it...maybe I could do a side trip to ALA?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Yup I just saw the routing tables. ALA is not in there at all. Sorry for throwing the convo off.
Are talking about the 500 routes on EF, or did you find the full table?

this is a super fare...but I really neeed to get to ALA or close to it...maybe I could do a side trip to ALA?
FRU is only 240km away, and it is certainly available on the fare. Most EU passports do not require a visa to either place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.